UKC

Asgard Pro Shell Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinph78 28 Oct 2013
Anyone know why Berghaus are now making the Asgard from Active Shell rather than Pro Shell? Just wondering if there were any problems I've not heard about, or if anyone knows of any other sub 400g pro shell's in the pipeline?

OP martinph78 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Martin1978: Bump...
EvanDavies 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Martin1978: Don't know for sure so this is only speculation but I think there is a minimum weight of face fabric that companies can use with the NG Pro (40D?), i don't know if the old Asgard used lighter fabrics than that. Also, Berghaus don't seem to be using old style pro at all and have a fairly extensive range of NG Pro jackets, maybe they thought the Asgard didn't fit within that and decided to revamp and re-market it.

As i said before though, this is only speculation and i could be completely wrong.
 rj_townsend 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Martin1978: Have you tried calling Berghaus to find out why?
OP martinph78 01 Nov 2013
In reply to EvanDavies: That makes sense. I guessed it might be something along those lines.

I just wanted to check that there wasn't any problems with the "Japanese" GT Pro that I needed to be aware of (might be able to pick up one of the old Asgard jackets cheaper than the new ones).

Saying that, some of the new Active shells seem to have heavier material in high wear areas now so might be an option.

Cheers, Martin
 Denni 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Martin1978:

What are you going to use it for? I'm presuming something that is just stuck in the bottom of your rucksack if it rains a wee bit?
OP martinph78 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: Everything really.

I have an active jacket that is away for repair, but I'm thinking of a second jacket or alternative replacement. The active is great for fast and light scrambling days, and I've climbed diffs in it and big boots. It's been totally storm-proof as well.

I was just thinking that something a bit tougher might suit a bit of winter climbing, summer guiding (ML), multi-day backpacking etc. Maybe save the active shell for solo days.

I accept that there's a weight v wear compromise though, hence my joy at spotting a pro shell that weighed 380g!

Just curious, and browsing for Xmas ideas ;P

EvanDavies 02 Nov 2013
In reply to Martin1978: The Marmot Speed Light jacket isn't far off that weight: http://marmot.com/products/details/speed-light-jacket
OP martinph78 02 Nov 2013
In reply to EvanDavies: Looks good, thanks, hadn't come across that one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...