UKC

How much for a photo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike_uk82 29 Oct 2013
I took a photo the other week which I allowed a local news paper to use for free. I was lucky enough for it to make a partial headline on the front page and a 3/4 feature inside. To be published was this years goal.

A fella from the paper phoned and said other papers wanted it syndicating. I agreed to the terms 50/50 and it ended up in the Saturday Mirror heavily cropped and covering about 1/5 of the page and their online site in full. I kept all rights but was credited.

I'm going to phone the fella later to see what is what as I've not heard from him since. But at the same time I don't want to be fobbed off. So can anyone tell me roughly what the going rate is for a photo and any thing else about how this syndication stuff works.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
 london_huddy 29 Oct 2013
In reply to mike_uk82:

This might help:
http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide/index.php?language=en&country=...

I'd have got a contract before letting them do anything with an image but I haven't had anything used in news, more editorial.

Good luck and do chase.
OP mike_uk82 29 Oct 2013
In reply to london_huddy: Thanks Andrew. A useful looking website. Whenever I did a Google search which included the words 'photo' 'price' 'newspaper', I kept getting links to pages with 'Jordan' aka Katie Price, in.

A more formal agreement would have been a clever idea. I was just a little naïve and eager.

Thanks.
 Bimble 31 Oct 2013
In reply to mike_uk82:

For 1/5 of a page in a daily national, I'd demand £180-200, rising to £300-350 for online use as well.
OP mike_uk82 31 Oct 2013
In reply to TryfAndy: Thanks. Was expecting £30-40 at most. Will be interesting to see what i'm offered.
 db79 31 Oct 2013
I license images for an educational publisher and we rarely pay more than £80 for 10 years non exclusive worldwide print and electronic rights for editorial inside use.
 Toerag 31 Oct 2013
In reply to mike_uk82: read the licensing images article on Ming Thein's blog - it may not all apply in the UK, but it's useful knowledge.
Jim C 31 Oct 2013
In reply to mike_uk82:
> (In reply to TryfAndy) Thanks. Was expecting £30-40 at most. Will be interesting to see what i'm offered.

You could ask to see the payment paperwork that they are getting, and it will then be clear then that you will get 50%, but it is a bit on 'trust' that they show you the correct paperwork, or all paperwork.

I would have thought though that they would have had a standard agreement pro-forma type document

I know I just said trust a newspaper !

Bimble 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Jim C:

All depends which paper too. I've found the Torygraph to pay well & very quickly, with the Indy being pretty dire, and the Fail just try to get out of paying altogether.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...