UKC

Alternatives to MS Outlook and Thunderbird

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 29 Oct 2013
I've been using Thunderbird for years after abandoning Outlook in disgust but the lack of a decent calendar facility on TB is starting to be a pain, Lightning doesn't really cut the mustard.

Are there any other email clients out there that are worth considering?
 icnoble 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Removed User: gmail
 GridNorth 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Removed User: Gmail is not really an email client it's on on-line service. Alternatives I'm aware of are:
Opera
Dreammail
iScribe
Postbox
Evolution

I have no personal experience using any of them however so can't comment of features.
Removed User 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Removed User: What's wrong with Outlook? One of the better bits of MS software I reckon.
 BigBrother 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Removed User: Opera never had a calendar and the email client is now separate to the browser as they are rewriting Opera to be a Chrome clone.

Having been an Opera user for years I am having to find alternatives for its features and gradually swap all my data over. Haven't looked into email clients yet.
 Jonny2vests 29 Oct 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
> (In reply to Eric9Points) Gmail is not really an email client it's on on-line service. Alternatives I'm aware of are:

Well, its an online email client. If you don't need to store emails locally, then why do anything else?
Removed User 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Eric9Points) What's wrong with Outlook? One of the better bits of MS software I reckon.

Perhaps. It's seven or eight years since I moved to TB so I don't remember precisely why it sucked the life out of me at the time. However the reason for changing over was that it couldn't handle an inbox bigger than about 1 or 1.5 Gb. It just stopped working while TB seems to be able to handle much bigger inboxes.

Typically I have about 5000 emails in my inbox, quite a few with attachments. TB handles an inbox up to about 6000 emails before things go a bit flakey.
 ByEek 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Removed User: One word. GMail. Email clients are very much out of date. Web clients linking directly to your mail on the cloud are very much in. Gmail provides excellent anti-spam protection (I get none despite my email address having got out) and of course because the email never touches your PC, its payload is unable to do all those nasty things.
In reply to ByEek: It's a bit difficult looking at your emails on
Gmail when you have no internet though
In reply to Removed User: My Outlook Inbox currently has about 9000 emails,around 2 Gb. No problems that I know of
 GridNorth 30 Oct 2013
In reply to ByEek: The trouble with Gmail is that you get advertising and I'm not sure if it still applies but there were limits on what you could download and store. This was particularly problematical when it came to photos. I'm also a bit uneasy about all the tracking that Google get up to.

It is worth noting however that O2 is dropping email as a service and BT already use Yahoo neither of which NEED a local client on the PC.
 Jonny2vests 30 Oct 2013
In reply to GridNorth:

No advertising on Gmail. And the limit is 10 gig or something.
 GridNorth 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests: I get an add every time I access Gmail. Google suggests that you can opt out of "interest" generated adds but that this does not stop all adds so I would like to know how you have eliminated all adds.
KevinD 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Not an expert on these but the general gist I have got whenever I read reviews is that calendars are the weak point of most of them.
Not what you want to hear probably though.
KevinD 30 Oct 2013
In reply to ByEek:
> (In reply to Eric9Points) One word. GMail. Email clients are very much out of date. Web clients linking directly to your mail on the cloud are very much in.

Pain the arse needing the connection up all the time though.
using gmail via thunderbird means no worries about loss of connnection, guaranteed backups etc.
 Neil Williams 30 Oct 2013
In reply to dissonance:

Why? My connection is up near enough all of the time. Why turn a broadband connection off?

Neil
 Jonny2vests 30 Oct 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
> (In reply to Jonny2vests) I get an add every time I access Gmail. Google suggests that you can opt out of "interest" generated adds but that this does not stop all adds so I would like to know how you have eliminated all adds.

On the main Gmail page? That is weird, because I get no ads at all, never have, I use Chrome.

I just checked the limit and its 15Gb. That's a lot of emails.

And you can now choose to install Gmail Offline, for offline support.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gmail-offline/ejidjjhkpiempkbhmpb...
 Jonny2vests 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:
> (In reply to dissonance)
>
> Why? My connection is up near enough all of the time. Why turn a broadband connection off?
>
> Neil

I suppose some like to take their laptops to weird places. I too make the reliable assumption that connections at work and home will always be on. And for everywhere else I have my phone, on which recent emails ARE stored locally.

Quite why people like dissonance feel they need to backup google is bizarre.
 Philip 30 Oct 2013
Evolution is very good but only runs on Linux.
KevinD 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:

> Quite why people like dissonance feel they need to backup google is bizarre.

Not really. That anyone really trusts offsite ownership of data (as opposed to backups) is though.

Hasnt been unknown for webproviders, including google, to accidently wipe accounts or disable/delete accounts due to believing its being misused.

Thats leaving aside losing control of the account either through user stupidity or malicious action.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...