UKC

"The Workers"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 29 Oct 2013
Can someone tell me how this (apparently oppressed) group of people are defined?
 SteveoS 29 Oct 2013
In reply to MG:

People who go to work?
OP MG 29 Oct 2013
In reply to SteveoS: Apparently not. "Bosses" are somehow not in the group but they go to work.
Tim Chappell 29 Oct 2013
In reply to MG:

Paging Gudrun! Paging Gudrun urgently!
 teflonpete 29 Oct 2013
In reply to MG:

Miners, builders, steelworkers, factory workers. The rest of you are poncey office wallahs and come the revolution you will all be lined up and made to crush rocks for the amusement of the proletariat. All 25 of them.
 MJ 29 Oct 2013
In reply to MG:

Can someone tell me how this (apparently oppressed) group of people are defined?

I go to work and spend a lot of my time on UKC. Can I therefore be defined as depressed?
 abr1966 29 Oct 2013
In reply to MG:
> Can someone tell me how this (apparently oppressed) group of people are defined?

Say something useful rather than cryptic and alluding to some notion of oppression.
 GrahamD 30 Oct 2013
In reply to MG:

> Can someone tell me how this (apparently oppressed) group of people are defined?

People who assemble tractors, I think. I don't think it includes people who work in banks and I'm sure it can't include people who's work is management
 ripper 30 Oct 2013
In reply to MG: As I'm sure you know, it means people who sell their labour power to make a living as opposed to those who own the means of production, buy the labour power, add surplus value, and sell the product/service at a profit. Whether you agree that this happens in the way described, or think that there's anything wrong(or right) with that, is a different question, but this is what people who use the term to describe a section of society usually mean.
 woolsack 30 Oct 2013
In reply to MG: They have blue collars. I'm not sure if this applies if their trousers are Chinos though
 PeterM 30 Oct 2013
In reply to MG:

Not the management?
 tutbury 30 Oct 2013
In reply to MG: The proletariat, whole will take over the means of production when they understand their oppression.

Unfortunately there aren't enough of them left now, most have now left hard manual labour and have cosy office jobs and really can't be arsed with overthrowing their greedy bosses.
 Trangia 30 Oct 2013
In reply to MG:

They wear flat caps, smoke cigarettes, drink tea, are thin and walk around smoke filled cities surrounded by high brick chimneys. They also support a football team and play darts. They have their own exclusive clubs called "Working Men's Clubs" - women don't get a look in
OP MG 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Trangia: Does whippet owning come in to this somewhere too?
 Brass Nipples 30 Oct 2013
In reply to MG:

A group of people who associate through tea drinking and trying to do the minimum amount of work possible.
Tim Chappell 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Trangia:
> ( They also support a football team

Typically an unsuccessful, run-down, glamour-free, hopeless-loser kind of football team, such as Manchester City.
KevinD 30 Oct 2013
In reply to MG:

depends by whom surely eg the mail seems to define by default against the scroungers and so on.
 Duncan Bourne 30 Oct 2013
In reply to MG:
Check their collars. Workers wear blue, apparently
 Chris the Tall 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Duncan Bourne:
I'm wearing a T-shirt, what does that make me ?
Removed User 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to Duncan Bourne)
> I'm wearing a T-shirt, what does that make me ?

A bit cold?
 kevin stephens 30 Oct 2013
In reply to MG:

You mean the sweatshop and intensive non unionised labour in China, Bangladesh etc that make almost every artefact that we buy; from clothes to personal computers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...