/ What celebs would you like to meet or have met?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Denni on 29 Oct 2013
Done to death on this forum before I guess but I'm bored!

Haven't met any massive celebs but would relly like to meet Bill Murray and for some bizarre reason, Tom Hanks.

Over to you all.......
deepstar - on 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:David Mitchell.
Edradour - on 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

I've met both Harry and William (Windsor variety). Harry was dead on, William not so much.

I'd really like to meet Aaron Sorkin, Barack Obama and Natalie Portman. All for very different reasons...
Tall Clare - on 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

I met Paul McCartney once. Well - he prodded me in the stomach as I was taking my jumper off at a private view at Tate Liverpool.

IainRUK - on 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni: I had a beer with the proclaimers.. had an argument with them about Man U V Wolves IIRC.. nice guys.. so we had a few beers waiting for my mates who walked in and were gob smacked how relaxed I was.

We walked off and I said how nice those guys were and how free they were with their money..

I had no idea at all who they were.
Blue Straggler - on 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

I have met Juliette Binoche
I would like to meet Dennis Quaid
The New NickB - on 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

I once met David Thewlis, I was stood at the urinal in my local at the time.
biped - on 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> I have met Juliette Binoche

I hate you.
kipper12 - on 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni: Richard Feynman, a genius, Nobel laureate and all round interesting character.

Or perhaps one of the 11 remaining men to stand on the moon
andyathome - on 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:
Genghis Khan. Man of vision
Richard Carter - on 29 Oct 2013

"I would like to meet Dennis Quaid"

Yes!
andymac - on 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni: my take on the subject would be that you should never aspire to meet celebs ,or want to meet your heroes.

More than likely you will be disappointed.

Diego Maradona would be ,err, interesting .

Willie Nelson. He would be fascinating.

Marylin Monroe ,just to see if she was all she was cracked out to be.and to check her out .

Similarly ,Michelle Pfeiffer ,15 years ago.

And

Redgrave ,Cracknell,Pinsent ,back in the day ,to see at first hand what true dedication really is.
Or any top level Olympian.

avictimoftheDrpsycho - on 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

Met Matt Smith when he visited his old school, where I was at the time. Karen Gillan also came that day, which was nice.

Would like to meet Dan Lilker (of Nuclear Assault, Anthrax and S.O.D.)
SteveoS - on 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

Been on stage with Green Day.
martym - on 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni: Wow you mean like, real celebs? Like gossip celebs?

I clicked expecting people to talk about John Long or Joe Brown!

Or is the climbing community so small that everyone on here's bouldered with Sharma and Caldwell?
SteveoS - on 29 Oct 2013
In reply to martym:

Met Dave McLeod.
avictimoftheDrpsycho - on 29 Oct 2013
In reply to martym:
>
> Or is the climbing community so small that everyone on here's bouldered with Sharma and Caldwell?

I believe I may have made a rare sighting of the Lesser Tufted G outside Silverdale Co-op last summer, if that counts.

Blue Straggler - on 29 Oct 2013
In reply to martym:
>
> Or is the climbing community so small that everyone on here's bouldered with Sharma and Caldwell?

Pretty much, yes.

It would be a dull thread if it were just a list of people saying which "celebrity" climbers they have met.
I've met and arguably "climbed alongside" James McHaffie, Adrian Berry, Audrey Seguy, Emma Twyford, Hazel Findlay, Tom Randall etc.

Do you really find this information interesting?

In reply to Denni: I've had dinner with Terry Wogan, my wife was also there but didn't really know who he was. I was sitting next to one of his Radio2 colleagues who my dad told me is also famous, and was delightful company, but as I didn't know who he was that doesn't count as much as Tezza himself. Bruce something or something Bruce?

I've also meant the President of Finland a couple of time, but hey, that's about as exciting as meeting the Prime Minister of New Zealand http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L17nU78ADSU
Tom Last - on 29 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

I've met Catherine Destivelle - doesn't really come much better :)
ads.ukclimbing.com
Darren Jackson - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Ken Bruce?... Nice bloke with an appalling taste in music.
martym - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: More interesting than knowing some random dude on an internet forum would like to meet Bill Murray...

What were they like? Did you learn from them? Did you get inspired?

What's Bill Murray done on Grit?
In reply to Darren Jackson:

> Ken Bruce?... Nice bloke
He is indeed.

> with an appalling taste in music.
Which confirms why I don't listen to R2. :)

In reply to martym:

> What's Bill Murray done on Grit?

Oedipus Ring Your Mother; old school, no mats, of course.
aln - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni: Dunno if they count as celebs but I've met Ian Dury and Joey Ramone.
Wiley Coyote - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:
Two near misses.
I once stood up Renee Zellwegger and, heartbreakingly (for me though I suspect not her) I once walked past Claudia Schiffer in a supermarket in Spain. That night I mentioned to a friend that I'd seen a gorgeous woman in the supermarket who was the dead spit of Claudia and she replied "Oh, it would be her. She has a house here." Oh and Lesley Garrett once offered to cook me breakfast.
Can't top a mate's story though. He decided his life was complete once Sophia Loren suggested he take his trousers off.
Blue Straggler - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to martym:

Why not start a new thread asking "What climbing celebs would you like to meet or have met?"
In reply to Wiley Coyote:
> (In reply to Denni)
> Two near misses.
> I once stood up Renee Zellwegger

I was once on the same gig guest list as Scarlett Johansson and by all accounts she was at the gig, but I didn't see her (she was probably doing her best to experience it from backstage). Shame, as I had always intended to say to her "are you that girl who was in that daft Eva Mendes film where your brother gets turned into a pig?". The movie stars love it when you pretend not to know their name.

She'd have been about 20 at the time.
Mooncat - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

I was a hotel manager years ago and we had the contract with granada for This Morning so met just about everyone who was on the show. The ones who sttod out in a good way were Joan Collins (I expected a bitch) Jeremy Beadle, Ian McShane, Tommy Steele and Steven Fry. The only one who I really despised who was unfortunately one of our regulars was Daniel O Donnell, his manager was one of the nicest people I've met but constantly looked embarrassed.
In reply to Mooncat:

I think you have won this thread!
Did Daniel O'Donnell ALWAYS wear knitted jumpers? :-)
Ste Brom - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni: Jane Seymour. Up Moel Famau.
Mooncat - on 30 Oct 2013

I think the jumper wearing triggered a change in his personality into the sweet Irishman we all love.
NeilMac - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

I met Will Self (and his Jack Russell) on the summit of Beinn a'Chaolais on Jura. He told me that the dog didn't like me. We had a chat about the advantages and disadvantages of living in such a remote location. It was rather surreal!
ice.solo - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

jimi hendrix
adam horowitz
bill clinton
francis ford coppala
stephen fry
owen wilson
the 5 girls from the korean band 'kara'
In reply to ice.solo:
>
> the 5 girls from the korean band 'kara'

Does that fit into the "would like to have met" aspect of the thread title?
ice.solo - on 30 Oct 2013

'met' in the biblical sense. did i specify simultaneously?
TheDrunkenBakers - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni: Met Princess Diana as a child.

In my later years i have met Vinnie Jones, Martin O'Neil, The Hairy Bikers, John Cena & The Big Show (these guys are massive in the flesh and were high obnoxious), Willie Thorne (several times) - all at queues and waiting lounges or as was the case with O'Neil, in the toilet at the urinals, in Airports.

I would like to meet Richard Dawkins
TheDrunkenBakers - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: or most of all, i would like to meet David Attenborough
Troy Tempest - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

The late Richard Whiteley ( Countdown presenter) was a semi-regular at the pub I used to work in as a teenager. He had a habit of turning up an hour late for his reservation and doing the 'Don't you know who I am?' routine when told his table had been given to somebody else.
The New NickB - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

I have met the last four UK Prime Ministers, plus Boris and lots of Cabinet Ministers from the last 20 years, mostly through work, but in David Cameron's case, a nodding hello as we walked in opposite directions on a Cornish cliff top.

My mate tells a story about taking himself off to listen to Manchester United in the FA Cup Final (1979 against Arsenal) on a quiet beach whilst holidaying on one of the smaller Channel Islands (Alderney I think). So sat there with a can of beer and the radio on, a chap walks down the beach and says hello, it's Harold Wilson, who asks if he minds if joins him to listen to the football for a while, Jim says no problem and offers him a can of beer, which the former PM takes.

Later that evening the tale is told to his wife and the friends they are holidaying with, no one really believing him. Later still Harold Wilson walks in the pub, and calls out, Jim, I think I owe you a drink.
ads.ukclimbing.com
In reply to Denni: I reckon Jenson Button would be cool to be mates with.

As would Victoria Coren, but I think the "really wanting to shag her" might get in the way.

I was acquainted for a few months with David Grindley, who at the time was the the British 400m record holder, and a good bloke. Been on speaking terms with a fair few famous athletes.

I don't really do the celebrity worship thing though.
In reply to The New NickB:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> but in David Cameron's case, a nodding hello as we walked in opposite directions on a Cornish cliff top.

Was there anyone else around?
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to The New NickB)
> [...]
>
> Was there anyone else around?

Witnesses, yes unfortunately!
> (In reply to Submit to Gravity)
> [...]
>
> Witnesses, yes unfortunately!

Bugger...
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> I met Paul McCartney once. Well - he prodded me in the stomach as I was taking my jumper off at a private view at Tate Liverpool.

How often do you take private viewings of your stomach?
Mike Highbury - on 30 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Denni) I reckon Jenson Button would be cool to be mates with.
>
> As would Victoria Coren, but I think the "really wanting to shag her" might get in the way.
>
> I was acquainted for a few months with David Grindley, who at the time was the the British 400m record holder, and a good bloke. Been on speaking terms with a fair few famous athletes.
>
> I don't really do the celebrity worship thing though.

I imagine that we are all goggling at your final remark.
Mick Ward - on 30 Oct 2013

> Later still Harold Wilson walks in the pub, and calls out, Jim, I think I owe you a drink.

A lovely vignette. Thank you. I always imagined him like that.

Mick
toad - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: I met David Attenborough in the 80s when I was a very lowly volunteer and he was opening the visitor centre where I helped out. He was friendly and enthusiastic and engaging with us grunts. Probably part of the reason I kept on with conservation work.

Bill Oddie was a really nice guy - I gave him a lift to the station having heard he was a git (I didn't know about the bipolar at the time). Very chatty. Same day I met David Bellamy. He really is all beard and ego
RockAngel on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni: ive met james herbert at a book signing in birmingham last year. He mistook me for his daughter.
Ive also met barbara erskine at another book signing.
A small band called Little Angels when i was a teenager.
ive nearly been run off the road by charlie lawson, who was in corrie. He was driving like a dick.
I see noddy holder in town occassionally
paul-1970 - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

On the famous climber front, I've met Hamish MacInnes. As I've reported before on this forum, I actually had a tow from him when my car broke down on the old road in Glen Coe. The fastest and most hair-raising tow I've ever had. Met Martin Moran, Dave Cuthbertson and I used to work with someone who assured me he was an "ex-climbing partner" of Alison Hargreaves...

Met Richard Dawkins before a lecture he delivered. Quiet, stiff, rather cold and formal; though that could be pre-lecture nerves.

Also met Johnny Ball before a lecture too. I have the rare boast of being able to say I've heard the hallowed children's TV presenter say "f*ck".

Checked Julian Cope in to the hotel I used to work at. 11.30 at night after he'd been driving long distance to get to Ullapool. Lovely, chatty and friendly guy. When I asked him if he'd like a drink or a bottle of wine from the bar, he politely asked for a "pot of coffee". Rock n roll, huh?

Almost barged my way into Princess Anne at a public event when she was 'mingling' and I was heading at speed across the room. Got an animated look from her. Got a rather fierce look from the suited close-protection guy standing close by her.
pasbury on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

John Peel and Alice Roberts please.
The RigPig - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

I bumped into Jenson Button in a pub near Goodwood one xmas he was having a meal with a load of McLaren guys. Thoroughly nice lad, had a good bit of banter with us all and particularly enjoyed the "is Lewis really as big a tit as he seems" comment from one of the lads.
ti_pin_man - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni: I met Lemmy from Motorhead in the St.Moritz club in Soho about 20 years back, got chatting and bought him a Jack and coke, he proceeded to drink me under the table. Guitarist Yngwie Malmsteen was in that night and was way too aloof so we took the pi55.

I went on tour with Aerosmith and ended up with a baby Liv Tyler in my arms at one point... jeez i'm getting old. I found Jason Newsted in bed with my ex, fair play, nice chap and she was my ex. I could go on but my rock photography days are history.

In reply to RockAngel:

> ive nearly been run off the road by charlie lawson, who was in corrie. He was driving like a dick.

I've got a feeling that he lived near us, and was a dick.

Choss on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

My old Gran Used to Babysit joss ackland. Thats it.

Myself, i would like to have a Dinner party with Brian Blessed, Patrick Stewart, and Matt Berry. For no Other reason than their voices Crack me up.
Al Evans on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni: I've met just about every celeb up to 1999, some were good better than expected and some were dissapointing, but thats just like all people I suppose.
Al Evans on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Sorry that was an exaggeration, that is every celeb post 1974 up to 1999.
In reply to Al Evans:

Damn, I was just about to ask about Oscar Wilde
Darren Jackson - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

Have you met Bouncer from Neighbours?... That episode that included Bouncer's dream still chokes me up to this day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlRR4SEjPPc
In reply to Mike Highbury:
> (In reply to Submit to Gravity)
> [...]
>
> I imagine that we are all goggling at your final remark.

Why?
ads.ukclimbing.com
Choss on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Darren Jackson:

If you find that tearJerking, Dont watch the intro to the Littlest hobo
tony on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

I had a chat with Bon Scott after AC/DC's show at Leith Town Hall in 76/77ish. Thoroughly nice chap.
waterbaby - on 30 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Mike Highbury)
> [...]
>
> Why?

Probably because you usually mention some blond actress with big breasts, the name escapes me:-)
In reply to waterbaby: Do I? My celebrity crushes really only extend to Victoria (or Vic, as I call her) Coren and Alice Roberts.

I reference Holly Willoughby, but only so the Lemming will understand what I'm on about.

How are you, anyway?
Greenbanks - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

I was (accidently) spilled the head off my pint of Hancocks over the shoe of HRH Prince Charles. We were at a function in the Belle Vue Rouyal Hotel in Aberystwyth.
In reply to Denni:
> Done to death on this forum before I guess but I'm bored!
>
> Haven't met any massive celebs but would relly like to meet Bill Murray and for some bizarre reason, Tom Hanks.
>
> Over to you all.......

Hi Denni, I'm bored too. Sick today can't get up so forced to watch Autumnwatch extra (on red button)!

I'd love to meet Chris Packham, he's great and we share a medical condition, so we'd have lots to talk about. There was a fungi expert on this morning that I'd love to go on a foray with but I've forgotten his name. He was just enthusiastic and a proper down to earth Northerner.
In reply to Greenbanks:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> I was (accidently) spilled the head off my pint of Hancocks over the shoe of HRH Prince Charles. We were at a function in the Belle Vue Rouyal Hotel in Aberystwyth.

Is that a euphemism?

Lol, that's her:-)

I'm ok, though not today. Can't move too much as dizzy:-(

This place is stale but I suppose it does what t says on the Tin. Besides I'm not climbing so have no place on ULCer. You okay?
In reply to waterbaby: I'm fine thanks, but was rough the last few days. I'm equally an imposter on a climbing forum, although I haven't actually packed-up, just used all my brownie points and energy on learning Russian.

Get well soon)))

Hijack over.

Mark Harding - on 30 Oct 2013
Sick today can't get up so forced to watch Autumnwatch extra (on red button)!
> I'd love to meet Chris Packham, he's great and we share a medical condition, so we'd have lots to talk about.

Another one with the "Packham medical condition", a pain when you're a climber. I live down the road from Leighton Moss, not seen Chris P but Martin Hughes-Games? Games-Hughes? is rushing about all over the place.
rand526 on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

have met David Wilkie, and Ian Botham (bit of a dickhead)

would like to meet Norman Collier and the kid out of Gentle Ben.
In reply to Denni:
Met Lemmy when the band I was in at the time supported Motorhead. We tuned up at the top of service liftshaft as it was the only quite place in the building and long before the days of digital tuners.Fast Eddy (and a lot of Carlsberg Special) were there too.I'm sure I've posted that one before but it's probably my only proper encounter with a celeb, although I exchanged a few words with Steve Cooghan on the summit of Bowfell a few months ago.
Hat Dude on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

I went to St Tropez in 1980, fully expecting to see Mick & Bianca, Brigitte and the like around every corner.

Who did I see? Brian Rix, in the shop on our campsite!
Greenbanks - on 30 Oct 2013
> (In reply to Greenbanks)
> [...]
>
> Is that a euphemism?

Ah, the spirit of UKC lives on! Were it a euphemism I'd have at least expected some kind of response from HRH. It was ignored totally...though his companion at the event, the famed Cambridge archaeologist, Glyn Daniel, appeared to smirk a little

OMR - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni: Interviewed Ivor Cutler once. Really fine guy, who wrote me a nice thank-you letter afterwards. Also interviewed and got drunk with John Otway (of John Otway and Wild Willie Barratt) when we were both guests of pre-Ure Ultravox. That was an interesting night. Although, in retrospect, the later occasion when I had dinner at a pal's house with John Otway was much nicer. A surprisingly quiet and well-mannered chap when he's not on stage.
John Rushby - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

I trod on Irvine Welsh's foot while in the Yucatan in Stoke Newington. We both apologised to each other and he bought me a pint. He was a thoroughly nice chap.

I once spilt curry down the front of Imran Khan. He was also very nice about it.
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to Denni)
> I once spilt curry down the front of Imran Khan. He was also very nice about it.
Lots of people don't believe this one but it is true... I bumped into Don Whillans in the Vaynol and spilt his beer! Not instantly recognising him I just said, "Sorry mate", he just grunted back, "it's OK" OWTTE. I guesss he must have mellowed in his old age?

In reply to Mark Harding: Don Whilans once spilt my pint and I decked him. I must've softened him up for you.
mbh - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

When aged 9 I had my photo taken with Reverend Audrey, author of the Thomas the Tank Engine books. That's been it, celeb wise in the 40 odd years since, apart from a possible sighting once of Paul Eddington on the opposite pavement. But sightings don't count, do they, otherwise I could cite seeing Beckenbauer in 1970 in Moenchen Gladbach, and,Best, Charlton and Law all together at Old Trafford about a year later.

My wife claims to have seen Bob Geldof in Bodmin Woolworths, when it still had one, but noone believes her.
Tim Chappell - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

I would like to get Socrates, Jesus, and the Buddha together in the pub. Seriously.

My role would be to keep the drinks coming, and listen.

Actually keeping the drinks coming might not be all that taxing. Socrates can put it away, but the Buddha never wants anything, and if Jesus wants wine, he orders water ;-)
ads.ukclimbing.com
Mick Ward - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Mark Harding:

> ... I bumped into Don Whillans in the Vaynol and spilt his beer! ...I guesss he must have mellowed in his old age?

I've got a feeling he did mellow in his old age - less aggression, more wisdom.

'It'll [ie the route] be there next year. The trick is to make sure you are.'

How many lives have been lost (in the Alps, Himalaya, etc), disregarding that one?

Mick

ericinbristol - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:

So, there would be three of you in the pub according to Coel :-)
Choss on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to ericinbristol:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
>
> So, there would be three of you in the pub according to Coel :-)

dont Start them off Again

Or maybe fewer? Who knows what Coel thinks about the historical evidence for Socrates, let alone the Buddha.

OK, OK, I'll shut up now :-)
Choss on 30 Oct 2013
> (In reply to ericinbristol)
>
>
> Or maybe fewer? Who knows what Coel thinks about the historical evidence for Socrates, let alone the Buddha.
>
Oh Socrates was definitely real. I saw him acting in bill and Teds excellent adventure (Second reference ive made to that today. 3 if you count joss ackland reference as he was in the sequel)

Cant vouch for That Buddha mind. But if he ate just 1 Grain of rice a day, whys he so fat?

In reply to Choss:

> Socrates was definitely real.

Of course he was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%B3crates

Of course he was real, played 60 times for Brazil!
> Sick today can't get up so forced to watch Autumnwatch extra (on red button)!
> [...]
>
> Another one with the "Packham medical condition", a pain when you're a climber. I live down the road from Leighton Moss, not seen Chris P but Martin Hughes-Games? Games-Hughes? is rushing about all over the place.

Always pleased to meet a fellow sufferer and Lancastrian:-)
Al Evans on 31 Oct 2013
In reply to OMR:
> (In reply to Denni) Interviewed Ivor Cutler once. Really fine guy, who wrote me a nice thank-you letter afterwards. Also interviewed and got drunk with John Otway (of John Otway and Wild Willie Barratt) when we were both guests of pre-Ure Ultravox. That was an interesting night. Although, in retrospect, the later occasion when I had dinner at a pal's house with John Otway was much nicer. A surprisingly quiet and well-mannered chap when he's not on stage.

While we attending a John Ottway concert, we stroked up a rapport and had a few drinks with after the gig (he was brilliant BTW) among the 'we' was Chris the Tall of this Parish, who later told me he had gone on the world tour with John and actually sung (with lots of others) on the B side of one of his few top ten hits. So there you are CTT is a celebrity :-)
OMR - on 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Al Evans: So you're claiming Chris The Tall as the
celebrity you've met! :)
Hat Dude on 31 Oct 2013
>
> Of course he was real, played 60 times for Brazil!

And Garforth!
EarlyBird - on 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

I've met various members of various 80's/90's non mainstream bands - got punched in the chest by D.Boon of the Minutemen which was like being anointed by God. Most of those guys don't count as celebrities (thankfully - hands up if you've heard of The Minutemen). A particularly knee-weakening moment was Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth turning to say goodnight to me by name - Sonic Youth might just about qualify as celebrities but more importantly Kim Gordon was (and is) beautiful.
Blue Straggler - on 31 Oct 2013
In reply to EarlyBird:

The Minutemen are really famous aren't they? I've heard their name for 20 years but have not knowingly heard a song by them nor could I name one. That counts as fame (i.e. I am not a fan but I know their status). Don't know what they look like or who the band members are though :-)
neilus - on 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni: Kurt Cobain (and Chris and Dave) after gig at Hummingbird in Brum...
Al Evans on 31 Oct 2013
In reply to OMR:
> (In reply to Al Evans) So you're claiming Chris The Tall as the
> celebrity you've met! :)

Hardly, I reckon of them all Buzz Aldrin, the second guy to step on the Moon a short time after Neil Armstrong possibly remains my greatest claim to have met a celebrity, just about after Edmund Hillary and countless actors and pop stars.
Choss on 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni:

I would like to be with Stanley Kubrick at his Deathbed.

Just to Hear his Final words "i did fake it you Know. All the Clues are in the shining"

7;^0
buzby - on 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Choss: ive met Mariella Frostrup when I was fixing her broadband line, she was very nice and gave me coffee and biscuits.
Alyson - on 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Denni: I've met everyone's favourite bracken-boiler, Ray Mears. He was quite a cheeky flirt, which surprised me, hence I liked him instantly.

I'd like to meet Chris Packham - just cos he's awesome and I'd love to have a full-on geekout with him about wildlife - and Channing Tatum mainly so I can stare at his ridiculous gorgeousness in a reverent fashion.
EarlyBird - on 01 Nov 2013

You might have heard of Mike Watt (the bass player) - he's ubiquitous in certain circles of American music. Listen to "Political Song for Michael Jackson", it won't take long and it's a laugh.
Douglas Griffin - on 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

In my chess-playing days, Anatoly Karpov and David Bronstein - the latter was really special, spent a good while chatting with him. (I realise that these names won't mean a lot to many, perhaps only jcm on here will have heard of them.)

Politicians: Alex Salmond, plus a fair few UK Secretaries of State and Ministers of State (Trade/Energy mostly).

Climbing celebrities: Norrie Muir. :-) Spent a fantastic weekend hillwalking, bevvying and listening to Norrie's reminiscences back in 2004.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Sean Kelly - on 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: Wilfred Noyce at my school Speech Day. I told him I had just started climbing and he wished me well. Played darts with Julie Christie in the 60's as Don Bessant, her boyfriend at the time was one of our lecturers. Also played darts with Syd Barrett, similar circumstances. Bob Plant (Led Zep) left one of his LP's behind at our place and my brother has that signed sleeve. We came close to getting the photo job for Led Zep V1 cover, but's that's another story.
aln - on 01 Nov 2013
>
> So, there would be three in the pub

Socrates, Jesus and Buhdda? I don't believe in Tim Chappell.

MJ - on 01 Nov 2013
In reply to EarlyBird:

You might have heard of Mike Watt

Wasn't he in the Wombles?
Oliiver - on 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: Rachel STarr
In reply to Denni:
The late Tom Patey - playing his accordion one bight in the Clachaig.
W.H Murray - one evening in the Kingshouse in the late 80's.

Blue Straggler - on 01 Nov 2013
In reply to EarlyBird:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
>
> You might have heard of Mike Watt (the bass player) - he's ubiquitous in certain circles of American music.

Ah of course. I used to be more "on the button". Yes, I'd heard of Watt a while ago, and THEN The Minutemen. I've heard collaborations he's done, but not really any of his solo stuff or Minutemen!
> Listen to "Political Song for Michael Jackson", it won't take long and it's a laugh.

Will do

Tom V - on 02 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Nando Parrado from the "Survive" story.
if he was unavailable I suppose I'd put up with 10 minutes in the company of Ms Theron.
The New NickB - on 02 Nov 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> In my chess-playing days, Anatoly Karpov and David Bronstein - the latter was really special, spent a good while chatting with him. (I realise that these names won't mean a lot to many, perhaps only jcm on here will have heard of them.)
>
I don't follow chess, never heard of Bronstein, but surely Karpov is super famous, his defeat by Kasparov was big news in the mid 80s.
EarlyBird - on 03 Nov 2013
In reply to MJ:

That would have been f*cking brilliant!
ThunderCat - on 04 Nov 2013
In reply to EarlyBird:

I met Lesley Schofield who played:

Johnny Briggs' dad in "Johhny Briggs"
General Bast in Star Wars (he asks Darth Vader uf he wants to abandon the death star)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Moradmin_Bast

He was in Kingston University student union bar. He was there to pick up his wife who worked in the finance office.

Nice chap.
Clarence - on 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:
I always thought that an ideal afternoon in the pub might be one spent with Ken Campbell, Linda Smith, Rob Buckman and Elizabeth Sladen...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.