UKC

Being anaemic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goosebump 30 Oct 2013
Turns out Im a bit anaemic, iron level of "11" (apologies for lack of units, the gp receptionist didnt say). Normal range is apparently 15 - 200. This intrigued me since its so large, and after a bit of googling, it seems fairly clear "normal" range is a bit subjective and by swedish standards Im half as good as I should be.
Iron tablets here I come.
Which leads to the question, just how much harder will I be able to climb/faster/further will I run once Im topped back up?? Exciting prospect.
Any one else suffer (I use the term loosely) with this? Did the tablets work for you or do you just chow down on more red meat? (I dont eat much of it currently)

Jimbo W 30 Oct 2013
In reply to goosebump:

Try eating some lean steak, mussels, spinach etc. Sometimes Iron tabs can be a little harsh on the stomach. 11g/dl isn't that low: I'd say normal range is 12-18g/dl, certainly not 200g/dl!
 ebygomm 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Jimbo W:

That sounds like a ferritin range rather than haemoglobin.

I had a level of 9 when i started taking ferrous sulphate tablets, after 6 months i had a level of 10
OP goosebump 30 Oct 2013
In reply to ebygomm:

Did you feel relatively tremendous with your new found level of 10? Seems a lot of tablets for not much improvement really?
 ebygomm 30 Oct 2013
No, made no difference. Was discovered testing for something else so no real symptoms anyway. Took tablets for about a year before i gave up.
 RockAngel 30 Oct 2013
In reply to goosebump: i have pernicious anaemia which means i need a b12 jab every 3 months. No amount of iron rich foods i eat makes a difference on my iron levels. I must check my diary to arrange the next jab
OP goosebump 30 Oct 2013
In reply to RockAngel:

My mums got that, but last jab she had gave her a huge allergic reaction. Im not sure she has been for another one since....
 lynda 30 Oct 2013
In reply to goosebump: Felt sick for the first couple of days of taking the tablets then cleared up. The black poo was an eyeopener.

The main (serious) difference I noticed was I stopped getting out of breath going up stairs and feeling like my heart was going to explode after a run (I am not a completely unfit person), the main (odd) difference was stopping raiding the ice tray every hour to crunch down on ice cubes (this was my pica and my sign that I am becoming anaemic).

Take your tabs with orange juice, it will help absorbtion. Eat lots of spinach and red meat.
OP goosebump 30 Oct 2013
In reply to lynda:
Thanks Lynda - Ive been forewarned about the poos! And good idea about the orange juice. Shall do
 The Potato 30 Oct 2013
In reply to goosebump: i went down to 7.8g/dl once when i was somewhat unwell (still managed 4 pullups though, but walking up stairs not, so much)
Yes as mentioned with the OJ - vitamin C increases absorbtion of iron. Both are very cheap and available from most supermarkets
 The Potato 30 Oct 2013
vitamin C tablets I mean, too much orange juice is bad for your teeth.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...