/ delay accepting a job to maybe turn it down in a months time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
itsThere on 30 Oct 2013
So I have got two/three interviews for two jobs. One is as far as i know, a single interview for company A. Company B want to interview me in a week and then following that, another interview in 3 weeks. Company B have already given me a phone interview and now invited me for an in person interview. They then told me that the process could take a month and gave me dates for both interviews. I donít mind the time I have to wait for company B, since their reputation more than makes up for this. Company B are also alot bigger than company A and operate in a vastly different way which is also a reason for the length of time.

I want both Jobs, but, given the choice company B would be better for many reasons. This could change slightly after in-person interviews.

Company A was though a recruiter who have said I can start ASAP, this has since changed now because of company B. I will get asked when I can start in the interview for company A, however I still want to have the choice to work for company B if i am successful following the interviews over the next month.

How can i keep my options open for company B but not damage my chances with company A.
Ava Adore - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to itsThere:

Tell the recruiter you need to give a month's notice.
RomTheBear - on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to itsThere:
> So I have got two/three interviews for two jobs. One is as far as i know, a single interview for company A. Company B want to interview me in a week and then following that, another interview in 3 weeks. Company B have already given me a phone interview and now invited me for an in person interview. They then told me that the process could take a month and gave me dates for both interviews. I donít mind the time I have to wait for company B, since their reputation more than makes up for this. Company B are also alot bigger than company A and operate in a vastly different way which is also a reason for the length of time.
>
> I want both Jobs, but, given the choice company B would be better for many reasons. This could change slightly after in-person interviews.
>
> Company A was though a recruiter who have said I can start ASAP, this has since changed now because of company B. I will get asked when I can start in the interview for company A, however I still want to have the choice to work for company B if i am successful following the interviews over the next month.
>
> How can i keep my options open for company B but not damage my chances with company A.

Been there many times, the safest option is to go and work for company A. During the trial period at company A you probably are going to have a very small or no leaving notice, allowing you to move to company B easily if you are successful with them.

the only downside is that Company B might choose to stop your interviews seeing that you already went to Company A, but you can make it clear with Company B that Company A is only short term for you and that you are ready to leave at any point for them.

If job in company A is good for you then go for it because there is no guarantee that you'll get the job in company B, especially with bigger companies my experience is that interview process is usually a lot longer than than they announce and quite often you end up as the only candidate in the process but even then the company decides not to hire anybody after all.
itsThere on 30 Oct 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: I was thinking something like that, say I have a shop job with a months notice. Company B is worth the wait and I dont think they would get to the end of the process, then say they dont want anyone. They dont work like that, its one of the reasons why comp B is worth the wait. They have been very clear to me with the dates for everything and asked if was ok with the wait.
Bob Hughes - on 31 Oct 2013
In reply to itsThere:

Can you not tell company A the truth? i.e. you're in a process with another company and you want to make the right choice so you won't be able to make a decision for another month.

A month's wait isn't going to kill them and as a recruiter I'd see it as a positive that a candidate had options. much rather that than be dicked around by someone who takes the job knowing they'll leave as soon as a better option comes along.

puppythedog on 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Bob Hughes: guaranteed not to get the job if you say that I think.
RomTheBear - on 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Bob Hughes:
> (In reply to itsThere)
>
> Can you not tell company A the truth? i.e. you're in a process with another company and you want to make the right choice so you won't be able to make a decision for another month.
>
> A month's wait isn't going to kill them and as a recruiter I'd see it as a positive that a candidate had options. much rather that than be dicked around by someone who takes the job knowing they'll leave as soon as a better option comes along.

I wouldn't play it that way because the way I see it you could then loose both jobs, it's a bit of a prisoner's dilemma situation, betraying company A will always be a better choice.
paul-1970 - on 31 Oct 2013
In reply to itsThere:

I had a similar dilemma once upon a time in having two interviews at around the same time, but the second interview was the job I wanted most. I was offered and accepted both jobs, so then had to take back an acceptance I'd already made.

Just be shrewd and honest. No point jeopardising your chance with one employer because you've given too much info about other chances you think you might have.

So go to all interviews. Accept the job offers as they're offered, if they're offered. And if you have the 'happy dilemma', simply be honest, as fair as possible, and straight to the point with whoever you're letting down.
ads.ukclimbing.com
itsThere on 31 Oct 2013
In reply to itsThere: Turns out the recruiter for company A cocked up the dates, its close to me so its not that big of a problem travel wise. This gives me an extra week,so time to have the first interview with company B. In a bit less of a pickle now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.