UKC

NEWS: VIDEO: Happy Winter - Ski Mountaineering with Andreas Fransson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 31 Oct 2013
Andreas Fransson - Happy Winter film, 4 kb

In this short film by Bjarne Salen of Endless Flow, we see extreme skier Andreas Fransson and friends in action, skiing some lines that most people would need two axes to climb up.

These guys are blurring the line between skiing and climbing, or perhaps there is no line at all?

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68464
Charlie Boscoe 31 Oct 2013
In reply to UKC News: Awesome video! Let it snow...
Zillas 31 Oct 2013
..and don't forget that jellow yacket !
In reply to UKC News:

What a beautiful, thoughtful, poetic short movie, so different from most mountaineering and climbing movies, which are typically so egotistical and shallow.
 Denni 01 Nov 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Excellent video, made my day. The chap is obviously very aware of his surroundings and has a deep respect for Mother Nature and loves what he does.

Very poetic and makes me wish more people had the same outlook on life as he does. More of this type of thing please
 David Rose 01 Nov 2013
In reply to UKC News: Sorry, but the commentary is just icky.
 TobyA 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> What a beautiful, thoughtful, poetic short movie,

Poetic? Hmmm? I must be getting cynical in my old age but I tend not take the voice overs like that too seriously. There's nothing wrong with it and I suspect for me the words suffer from their proximity to a list of sponsors. Fransson comes over as a smart and nice guy as well, but IIRC he did a film about a friend who was killed which felt stronger than this. The footage is amazing but I disagree with you also about climbing films being so different. There have actually been a number of internet released climbing shorts I've seen recently that tend to cover similar ground aesthetically and philosophically, and that have been great (as long as I dial down my cynicism and try to ignore the Arcteryx logo coming up at the end of the paean to the dirtbag/authentic life).

Has anyone been listening to Grayson Perry giving the Reith Lectures? They've all been great but also cover many things I think about watching films like this one. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00729d9
 Henry Iddon 01 Nov 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
>
> [...]
>
he did a film about a friend who was killed which felt stronger than this.
>

Is that so surprising ? Would any film be as powerful as one about a friend killed in the mountains?
 Denni 01 Nov 2013
In reply to TobyA:

I reckon you're getting cynical in your old age! A friend of a friend knows him and skis with him and says he is genuinly the real deal. A philosophical, intelligent, caring and appreciative chap.

As far as the advertising goes, thats just the way of life for all the sponsored athletes Isn't it? I err on the side (most of the time) of it being an authentic life with free jackets, skis and travel :0)
 Henry Iddon 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Yup Andreas and Bjarne were over for Kendal last year - both really great guys - and have genuine love of the outdoors. Andreas is mid way through his Guides ticket - I assume through the Swedish system.
 TobyA 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Henry Iddon: Not surprising at all but Gordon called this one poetic; that felt like quite a claim - although I guess there is bad poetry and good poetry.

Denni, yep, I've got nothing against Fransson at all (beside jealously of course!), he seem like a very personable guy and is clearly an amazing skier. I actually wrote about this thing with films in one of my Climb columns earlier this year (or late last year) - I accept that someone has to pay to get such good footage but there is perhaps something a bit trite about them in the totality as they aren't ever going to do anything that goes against the necessary interests of the sponsors. Plus they need to appeal to all of us.

But the Will Gadd/Arcteryx one "Move" is good - it just has a sensible message vimeo.com/62716181
 Denni 01 Nov 2013
In reply to TobyA:

I think therein lies the problem. I find the Move video really mainstream. Music, loads of moving around and changing scenes, trying to cram everything into a small space.

It is all a bit cheesy aftershave advert "I am one, no one, but someone" etc etc. I've met Will a few times when I have been in Canmore and he didn't strike me as that sort of chap that says "let's try to squeeze the last of every minute of the day out doing something" kind of guy. Very focused but very mellow at the same time.

Sponsorship thing applies to Will as well, Arcteryx city. I guess as I get older I'm slowing down and spend my time differently. Bloody wife and kids stopping me living! ;0)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...