UKC

OS X Mavericks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doug 31 Oct 2013
Has anyone updated to the latest version of OS X ? any problems ? and quite what are the advantages over 'Mountain leopard'?
 frqnt 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Doug:
I've updated, no problems and SFA changes I can see in my daily use; revised log in screen, updated dock and optional tags in my Finder.

I expect more changes will surface as I spend more time using it.
 Ciderslider 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Doug: I've updated and there seem to be no problems or major changes
Removed User 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Doug: Updated yesterday. The share buttons on the notification area seem to have disappeared. But other than that seems fine.

The new multi-display is very good, I'm working from home on my laptop with documents up on by HDTV also.

I'm more annoyed because I forked out for Mountain Lion 3 weeks ago!

Supposed to last longer on the battery but too soon to tell.
cb294 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Doug:

Started and aborted, as the installer told me my office package wouldn't run. Need to update that first,

CB
Removed User 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Doug:

installed and working fine, seems a little faster loading some programmes. Rendering videos needs the app nap facility prevented but apart from that it has been a pretty smooth free changeover. friend of mine has had a bug with Final Cut pro but all my Photo and video editing has been fine. Battery life is a little better.
 Mike-W-99 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Doug:
Installed fine , no issues so far. Noticed slightly improved battery life.
Latest aperture update is dependent on it and it'll also prompt upgrades of all of the iLife suite too.
 Little Brew 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Doug: Had the developer for a while now, it is nice, the batter icon is now also informative as to what processes are draining you battery, not sure how it works as my old macbook wont go beyond Tiger, but Maverick is proper nice on my iMac.
OP Doug 31 Oct 2013
In reply to all
Many thanks, looks like its worthwhile, at least for my iMac (I assume my copy of Office will be OK as its only a couple of months old).

In reply to Doug:

Upgraded at the weekend. Very smooth and it hasn't (yet) thrown up any bugs with my non-Apple software as usually happens apart from a Mail plug-in I use called Act-On which is waiting for an upgrade.

By far the best unsung feature is that finally we have a menu bar at the top of both monitors in shared screens, and the menu bar applies to the app on that screen. Also, full screen doesn't black out the other monitor. Pretty basic features really that should probably have been in years ago.

Alan
Removed User 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax: Yes, I think it's funny how this is being portrayed as an advanced new feature! Works well now though.
OP Doug 02 Nov 2013
After struggling with the App store to find a way to download a free upgrade without having to give Apple my credit card details & waiting several hours for the download, the installation itself went very smoothly & so far no problems, although I haven't really noticed any advantages (yet)
In reply to Doug: Install went smooth but now my audio interface (used for music recording) doesn't spit out any sound to the speakers, although strangely every other function works fine. If you have any important pieces of software/hardware just check that they are supported on Mavericks as there's no going back...
 Only a hill 02 Nov 2013
In reply to Doug:
I'm still running Mac OS 7.1, released in 1992
 dave frost 02 Nov 2013
In reply to David Kirsfelds: I installed mavericks on a new and separate hard drive just in case things blew, but all seems good.

As part of the install you get to choose whig hdd to put it on so was a good chance to get rid of the crap old hdd that i had mountain lion installed on.

Cheers
Dave
 frqnt 04 Nov 2013
Since the install I'm unable to watch YouTube/Vimeo.

I'm finding myself geting my alpine/ice/skimo vid. fix at work and I'm already on my second warning for pronounced internet use!

Any ideas?
 dave frost 04 Nov 2013
In reply to frqnt: need to upgrade safari plugins maybe ?
OP Doug 04 Nov 2013
In reply to frqnt: I seem to be able to watch both Youtube & Vimeo without problems, something wrong with your browser ?
 frqnt 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Doug:
I'm using Chrome. I'm not that keen to revert to Safari.
OP Doug 04 Nov 2013
In reply to frqnt: don't have Chrome installed on this machine but no problems with Safari or Firefox

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...