UKC

So, how's it been for you?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ciderslider 31 Oct 2013
Now I know that peeps will say it's not over yet (grit season etc), but now that the main trad action is sort of coming to an end what have you achieved - met, or indeed surpassed your goals?
Weird year for me (as always not enough trad days out) done loads of indoor bouldering (which I really enjoy) managed to get a record 5 weekend trips to the Peak District (and maybe some more to come) did a few really good adventurous routes at Swanage.
I've also started climbing with some new (and better) climbers - which has been fun.
I've tried, and sometimes failed (got loads of air miles this year) but above all I've had lots of fun and learned a lot.
Although I didn't quite reach my goal of first E1 - I've had an interesting battle with Left unconquerable (during which I've learnt a lot)
So what about you ?
Oh, and I've climbed with a wookie
 jezb1 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider: your first line's right... 2 months left yet!
OP Ciderslider 31 Oct 2013
In reply to jezb1: Hey Jez you climbers from North Wales are so hard core
 jkarran 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:

Looking at my logbook I appear to be giving up climbing, there's only 70 or so entries in it for this year and many of them are DNF

Same blend of HVS pottering and mid-low F7 redpointing as for the last few years, just a lot less of it.

jk
 alooker 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider: wanted to climb e1 onsight, managed e2! Also wanted to climb 7a, haven't done much sport climbing at all. Red pointed 6c+ in France but now working up to a trip to Spain, working 7b at the wall so I'm the fittest I have been (for indoors at least...)
 Puppythedog 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider: My year has been a mixed bag climbing wise. I moved to Colchester mid way through the trad season and that has fubard my climbing since then including indoors. I'm not as fit by quite a long way now as I was back in July.

I've not climbed as much as I want (always true but less than usual) and I feel pretty bad about my climbing.
That said this year I onsighted my first E2 and then my first and only E3. I feel like I can reasonably describe myself as a climber and I am looking towards new challenges but need to find a routine of climbing more based in the arse end of faff all nowhere as I now am. (just sharing petrol costs all the time would help )
 Blue Straggler 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:

One lone HVS onsight. That's it!
Though I then compared it to my other HVS forays and declared it to be by far the finest - my only other onsights at the grade were arguably one-move wonders etc, with a fair amount of warm-up / build-up...or scrappy little run-out things with me teetering uncertainly.
This was Croton Oil after a rough weekend, a bit stressed, no breakfast, not even coffee, using a mate's rack, and I'd only intended to go to Rivelin to bimble on familiar HS and VS routes, but ended up on Croton as my warm-up route A satisfying ascent.
If this seems like a lot of waffle about one route, it's because I've not done much else notable Lots of indoor bouldering (I won a prize, that was nice....though the field was slim...). Not pushed it on sport.

Actually my favourite climbing day was a trip to Froggatt where I just repeated a load of familiar old favourite HS routes.
 ralphio 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider: my second year trad climbing and i've managed to get solid leading vs which was my aim. Also managed to lead a few hvs so hoping to get a few more of those in over winter. Done 110 climbs so far according to my logbook so chuffed with that as well.
 Cake 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:
With only three days off grit, I was slightly disappointed not to get any E points at Gogarth or the mountains. However, I did the main pitch on Brant direct which was ace and shared the fun of Spectre (Sceptre?). A higher achievement, which I needed to fight for was f7a at chee dale. I had to put the hours in for that.

As already acknowledged, the grit season is not over, and I'd love to get wings of unreason and boulder green traverse. However, above snow, I did archangel and breadline and recently got erb, at E2, DIY above pads and NTBTA (almost onsight)- possibly highest point of the year.

Pretty pleased, considering I generally only get out once a week for half a day. Next - year's goal: get the three year-old up a full-length climb.
 Cake 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Cake: Oh yeah, I led Chequers Crack. Significant, mainly because in my head it means I can now lead any HVS at all. I reckon i will get up any other HVS sand-bags i try.
 Only a hill 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:
No roped climbing for me, but that's how I roll these days. I've actually had a great summer: two trips to the Highlands, both blessed with stunning weather. In June I backpacked from Blair Atholl to Aviemore, taking in some wild camps and Munros. Last month I stayed for a week in Glen Shiel and ticked off a few of the peaks in that area, plus the Forcan Ridge.

Happy with my summer overall!
 Calder 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:

Mixed - nowhere near as good as 2012 for climbing achievements, although I've had no accidents and been to 2 less funerals this year which more than compensates.

Despite this (and springtime ankle and finger injuries) I've had some good days out and done some belting routes in the hills and at the seaside (to Kinder, Gable, Cloggy, Scafell, Pembroke, etc) - albeit with intermittent confidence and its associated commitment. There's no way should I be bottling VS. But bottle it I did.

Anyway, a hearty bouldering season, followed by a spell of sport climbing will hopefully get me fit and raring to tear some shit up next year...
 Milesy 31 Oct 2013
In reply to jezb1:
> (In reply to Ciderslider) your first line's right... 2 months left yet!

Not in Glasgow. Rock season is well and truly over as far as I am concerned. It is all about pointy things now.

Had a great summer on HVS. Felt ready to lead my first E1 but time, daylight and weather conspired against me.
 Jimbo C 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:

Slow and steady improvement. I climbed my first E2 onsight and a few more E1s. Found out that VS now feels quite easy, which is good because it was my limit for years. I also fell off more this year than any other which means I must be trying harder - notable failures being Chequers Crack and Flying Buttress Direct. FBD is defo on the hit-list, maybe I'll get it before the year's out. On a slight downer, I sprained my ankle when failing on The Crank and missing my mat which put me out of action for a few weeks (still a bit sore 4 months on!)
 teflonpete 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:

Absolute bag o' shite year climbing-wise. Had a weekend in Pembroke in March and did a bit of climbing, mostly repeats up to VS, a weekend in North Wales back in Feb with a snow plod up the PYG track, and a nice weekend in the Lakes in May with a wander over the Gables, Great End and Scafell Pike. Managed to get to the wall less than 10 times in the whole year too.

On the plus side, I got my divorce over and done with, house sold, moved in with my GF and bought a kayak, so at least next season I've got a good wet weather alternative in kayaking.

Added to that, my regular indoor climbing partner has had no end of trouble with her back this year so she's been out of action quite a bit, which is a shame as I haven't seen her that much and I used to enjoy climbing with her.

Hoping to get back to the wall properly over winter and get some weekends away next year now that everything's settled down a bit but tbh, it'll probably just be pottering.
 Lord_ash2000 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider: Missed almost the whole summer and barley climbed on rock at all as I've been working on renovation project that's overrun. Now weak as crap judging by my odd trip down to the wall. Hoping to hit the plastic hard over winter and be back on form for next spring.

The plan will be routes to ease myself back into easy moves then boulder solid for a while to regain the power add back in some routes for the fitness to hit the rock next year.
 Gturner71 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider: Had a pretty good year lots of trad up on the west coast of scotland in mostly good weather, some good sport climbing, had a pretty succesful trip back home to the lakes to do some quality climbing with my dad and had an awesome first trip out to the alps with my partner with 10 days of warm sunny weather
 Yanis Nayu 31 Oct 2013
In reply to teflonpete: Bag a shite for me too, (in fact I don't want to even look at my logbook to confirm just how crap) - only got outdoors a few times, enjoyed it but didn't pull up any trees. Gave up my regular indoor climbing because I was sick of the headaches I would get from belaying.

On the plus side, I didn't get divorced, went to the Ukraine and had an amazing experience with some really great people and my Russian is a shit-load better.
 JIMBO 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider: not over yet... just warming up (I hope!)
Highlight (if a little easy) was a two day crossing of the Cuillin Ridge... just really good fun
 The Ivanator 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider: First year since I started climbing on a regular basis where my routes completed for the year looks set to fall, but with a recently adopted child that was inevitable.
Mostly daytrips and lots of Limestone (Dorset, Wye, Mendips, Gower) - I'm seriously craving a change of Rocktype.
In terms of progression I'm not sure, think I'm still basically stuck on the VS plateau, although I did manage double figures of onsight HVS leads this year (for the first time) plus a couple of slabby E1s and an E2 redpoint. Think I'm actually getting better at slabs and worse at steep stuff, hence my recent thread about disparity in lead grade.
 Nathan Adam 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider: Been a pretty good one, scrambled my way around the Cuillin and learned the terrain well in the process. I think that was my main aim for the summer, just to get happy soloing up to Diff standard in the hills on my own. Finishing every great day with a cold cider in the Slig. Not to forget spending a perfect week of weather with my old man showing him around some of the Cuillins classic scrambles !

Also got my lead grade up to HS in the space of eight months without actually leading all that much, which was a bonus for me. Given myself a solid base to get started on with harder mountain routes next spring, as long as i keep doing a little cragging and keep pulling plastic over the coming months.

All the great people i met and climbed with also made the year more worthwhile, solo days are great and hold a lot of appeal but the days with your mates are what make it for me.

Now its time to get the psyche on for winter !
scarface 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:

Bag of crap emotionally, but got the climbing bug, indoor, Stannage, Wilton. Lost another stone in weight, bought new Gucci kit, tackling Munros and very possibly Mt Toubkal plus 2 others in the Atlas mountains in Jan. So looking up.
 ChrisBrooke 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider: Hoping to sneak a few more in before the end of the year, but it's not been a terrible one so far.
Trad highlights were Suspense, Wings of Unreason and Cenotaph Corner. All dream routes for me. So, very happy with those. An honourable mention goes to Dream of White Horses too. Shame I left it too late in my climbing 'career' to be terrifying...

Failed to get on Left Wall. Next year. Failed to commit to the dyno on Tippler Direct. In fact if I listed all the routes I failed to get on it would be quite long Wanted to get to the Piz Badile but there was far too much snow still there. Ended up in Finale where I climbed my first 7a sport which was nice as I don't climb a great deal of sport (outdoors).

Seconding a mate on Pool Wall and Painted Rumour were also highlights, opening my eyes to how hard I could climb if I really tried.

A honeymoon spent scrambling in Wadi Rum in April would be another high point. In fact, watching my wife get psyched for climbing after a trip to Croatia (Hvar and Paklenica) has been one of the best bits of the year. Makes me very optimistic for next year, and happy that she's really starting to improve and enjoy it. What could be better than that?!

Reading that back that's quite a good haul for me and I ought to be pleased....but it never works like that does it? "Didn't get out enough...didn't try hard enough.....didn't visit enough new places.....didn't get enough routes done....etc" Haha.

jezb1 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider: Well as a serious answer I will be climbing rock all year round but so far...

A little over 200 routes, not as many as I'd hoped but not bad. Quiet last couple of months for various reasons. Sadly haven't pushed my grade much this year but cruising stuff that I had to previously think about more.
 KTC 31 Oct 2013
This year I took my on/off indoor habit outside, determined to learn how to be self-sufficient outdoors. Bought most of a useful rack, met new people and had a great time learning a lot. Had ten days in Kalymnos, finding everything difficult, but had a lot of fun. Will go back next year and do one of the big multi-pitches on Tolendos.
 Offwidth 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:

Grit season not over?? The grit has not even been called yet!
 bpmclimb 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:

I know it's been wet recently, but I haven't given up hope of a few dry spells before the end of the year. I've got quite a bit of climbing left in me for 2013 - I'd happily do another hundred routes given half a chance. Indoor climbing - well, maybe a few sessions for climbing fitness, but it doesn't really float my boat.
 climbingpixie 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

> Gave up my regular indoor climbing because I was sick of the headaches I would get from belaying.

Belay glasses are your friend! We gotr some recently, after a 2 week sport trip in France where both me and my partner were struggling to belay by the second week due to neck pain. They're amazing - I can't believe we've waited this long before investing!
 Blue Straggler 31 Oct 2013
In reply to climbingpixie:

Do you work in marketing ?
In reply to Ciderslider:

I've had a pretty good year, though it's definitely not over.

I've not done loads of routes - only just over 50 according to my logbook - but it's all been really good quality. I took advantage of the great weather (especially a well times 5 day trip to North Wales mid-July!!) to get up to some mountain crags - Cloggy, Llech Ddu, Gable, Cyrn Las and Neckband - and have gotten a few other new crag ticks. I've done some really good redpointing and feel like I'm stronger and fitter than I've ever been.

Trad highlights of the year so far have been Troach, Suicide Wall, The Strand, The Grooves and The Tomb and finding most of them fairly steady. Sport highlight has to be Farniente in the Gorges du Tarn on the last morning of our holiday - dogged it to get the clips in then had time for one redpoint attempt before we had to leave. Never expected to succeed when I was tying in but a few minutes later I was clipping the chains

Sad not to get to Pembroke at all but the first half of this year was dominated by road biking and by the time my head was in climbing mode it was just too hot. There are a few routes I really wanted to get done this year that I didn't get the chance to and I wish I'd had time to get to Scafell but hopefully next summer will also be hot...
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Ha! Seriously they are amazing and I wish we'd bought them before spending two weeks in the Gorges du Tarn getting serious belayer's neck. They do make you look like a total dork, mind!
 Craigyboy13 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:

my first summer climbing. the first time i'd ever belayed anyone was in april. i completely caught the climbing bug and have been getting out a lot over summer, lots of trad and sport. not mud indoor.
led a good few vs's and i managed to jump from vs to e1. led 2 e1s. still not seconded a e1 or led a hvs yet!
tried to climb cemetery gates but the weather put a stop to that. that was my aim before the weather drew in.
 Yanis Nayu 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Craigyboy13: Rub it in!
 Hooo 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:
As usual depressingly few days out doing trad, but I did manage King Kong and Coronation Street. Never believed I'd actually manage to get on Corrie, due to queues, weather etc, let alone finish it. A definite highlight of the year.
Am I allowed to call myself an E1 leader now?
 Cheese Monkey 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider: 226 routes logged so far, so quite pleased . Went mental early in the year climbing everything in sight. Calmed down a bit now, which makes for more relaxing trips! Lots and lots of limestone, onsighted E2 which was a surprise and seconded a few E3s with ease. Redpointed F6c+ quite quickly this year too. Most recently had a week in the Dolomites, ticked the Grohmanspitze on a very long HS route which was amazing. 2 weeks in Swiss Alps for my first Alpine climbs- 3 4000m peaks and one AD done. A really nice relaxed week in El Chorro at the beginning of the year too. A few scrambling trips to N Wales, a few days out on West Penwith granite, a few memorable trips to the culm coast. Good year so far!
OP Ciderslider 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Offwidth: That's what I'm led to believe. I am looking forward to some cold dry bright days on grit - and to find out how much different it climbs in the cold (although I'm sure it won't make any difference to a punter like me).
 BigHairyIan 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider: had the best year in a long time. Did Groves Arete early summer and survivef being benighted on.the descent. Then a week in Cornwall. Both trips with my 11 year old daughter and her god-father.
 JayK 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:

First E5
First F8a

Still feel at the end of the year that I could have achieved more than I have.
 snapperdan 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider: A year ago I slowly stopped running so much and started climbing indoors. This has been one of my best summers discovering crags I used to run past and I'm seriously hooked on climbing. 70 or so routes mainly at VS and I came within a whisker of my first E1 onsight! Now training like a mofo and looking forward to winter....
 Baron Weasel 31 Oct 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:
> (In reply to Offwidth) That's what I'm led to believe. I am looking forward to some cold dry bright days on grit - and to find out how much different it climbs in the cold (although I'm sure it won't make any difference to a punter like me).

It'll defy your belief what your feet will stick to on cold dry grit, just make sure to wrap up warm!

My year started off with a bit of easy winter stuff round the lakes which ended with a fantastic pitch of ice on Red Scree's within spitting distance of the pub and car park.

When the weather warmed up my mate and I started learning to aid climb which was really good fun. I then got some mountain and single pitch stuff done, but with Mrs Weasel with Kit I was told I could not go climbing everyday, or even every other day. So not done too much since mid summer. Best grade was E2, although I had climbed the route years ago and knew it would be straight forward i.e. little gear, lots of holds.

Little boy is 3 weeks old now so not sure when next climb will be, but my axes and crampons are sharp and my bag can be packed in minutes if something interesting comes in...
 Offwidth 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Ciderslider:

Down jackets shelter and a sense of urgency to stay warm. Its a time for places like Rivelin and Cratcliffe Tor. Boulder in the colder days and be amazed as your technique starts to improve and you stick to things that feel like glass in the summer. Walk over Higgar in shade on a still sunny day wearing everything you have, where frost like snow marks your passing and breath steaming, to arrive and climb in a thermal top on the south side.
 caradoc 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Ciderslider: I failed to take advantage of the extended winter conditions although I finally ticked Great Gully, Snowdon which was good. A few interesting obscure routes done: Adam's Rib, Mallory's Ridge but overall a poor year. A very snowy Monte Rosa in July was a good effort , not sure how many more big ones I will get up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...