UKC

Fjallraven

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gasmerchant 01 Nov 2013
Anyone used it? Any thoughts on it?
 TobyA 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Gasmerchant: Their oldests designs are so now old they're "classic" and hence much loved by Scandinavian hipsters and hippies.

They make lots of different stuff - what are you interested in? I've slept in some Fjallraven tents and they've always seemed rather good.
 GarethSL 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Gasmerchant: Yes, as Toby says, it depends on what you're interested in. Fortunately it hasn't quite made its way to Hipsterism here in Norway but they are a cult outdoor brand, in that no single Scandinavian hasn't had a pair of their tight weave cotton trousers adorned with numerous pockets and axe holders at some point in their life.

They are traditionalistic and old school, which makes the gear superb in its own right. Its tough and heavy, lasts forever and also looks good. Its not necessarily aimed at the bushcraft market as it is mostly sold to in the UK, here its an everyman outdoor brand making good outdoor kit for kids to grandparents.
OP Gasmerchant 01 Nov 2013
I'm asking for a mate. He was looking at their jackets, and thinking about getting one to replace his ventile jacket. I've not heard of them before. From a quick look it's more a hill walking/strolling jacket, than serious active wear.
DoverPiker 01 Nov 2013
I bought some of their Karl trousers in 2008, they are still going strong, bit of wear to the belt loops from rubbing on rucksack waist loops.

Also bought a pair of Abisko trousers about two years ago, again great trousers, they have sections of their G1000 material mixed with their stretch material-bit like a soft shell type of stuff. Again wearing well although the stretch material has bobbled up-but who wants to walk around in brand new looking gear all the time.

The other good thing about their trousers (and really why I buy them) is because I am 6ft 5 with a 36inch inside leg so really struggle to get trousers to fit. Both of these types come in their raw leg length which is long enough for me...jackpot!

Just checking their site today and it looks like they have added other styles of trousers also with raw leg length!! Get in!!

Only thing is you will probably have to order from the EU as a lot of places in the UK only stock a few things. Think The Mountain Factor in Ambleside has the best selection that I have seen to actually go and look at.

Will.
 artif 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Gasmerchant:
There are better for less.
Personally I would stick with Ventile, I've got a G1000 jacket, waxed it several times and rain still floods through, not too impressed with the durability either, single row stitching in most places and the the material has torn in a couple of places.
Hood is strange as well, it might work for ET though.
I've got better made and more versatile army surplus jackets that cost a 1/10 of the Fjalraven
cb294 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Gasmerchant:

Wear their stuff (trousers and shirts) almost every day. Long lived, but not ultra high tech. Most of their dedicated outdoor equipment is designed for back country trekking rather than actual mountaineering, but for that it is ideal. E.g., their cotton/polyester mix dries quickly and, unlike the softshell material of typical climbing trousers, is 100% moskito proof.

Fjällräven also make great large volume trekking sacks. I have never had a better one than my 90 l Kajka.

Cheers,

CB
Nougatkatja 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Gasmerchant: I've worked in an outdoorshop for a few month last year and got in touch with fjällräven-products. Their trousers seem to be very durable and realy nice for trekking, but also quite heavy. Their jackets are real heavy and not waterproof, but expensive. Most of them use G1000 textile where you can put wax onto the garment that prevents some water from getting through. But as soon as you get into real rain, you will get soaked (and then the jacket will become even heavier).
In summary I'd say that the trousers are worth a look but the jackets cant compete with any hardshell.
OP Gasmerchant 01 Nov 2013
Thanks for the replies, I'll feedback to my friend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...