UKC

Climbing tape for a confidence "rope"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SteveD 01 Nov 2013
Occasionally I will take an 8mm Beal confidence rope out with me with groups but I have always felt that it was a real compromise as it is too thin to handle easily but I don't want to carry anything thicker and probably not need it.

I was playing around with some slackline tape over the weekend and started to wonder about using that for a confidence line instead.

It is lighter, stronger, much easier to handle and isn't going to cut you in half if you have to waist belay (I feel you have bigger issues if it comes to that!). Knotting is more difficult but not impossible. Other than that I can't think of any real issues.

Any thoughts?
 sparra 01 Nov 2013
In reply to SteveD:

It's not dynamic, but that's not an issue for confidence roping.

I'd have through tape would be harder to handle for lowering someone off etc. - too thin, and a right git to untie weighted knots out of.

I've not had problems with my 8.4 (I think) - Why not just double your 8mm for any applications where you need to handle it well?
 Si Withington 01 Nov 2013
In reply to SteveD:

I rarely carry a full-on confidence rope unless there is a risk that I could be on terrain that requires it, or if I think my clients may struggle. I'll always carry a long sling though, which like you say is a lot lighter, takes up less space and is perfectly fine to use as a confidence leash.
In reply to SteveD: I often carry a 240cm sling for confidence and leave the 30m confidence rope in the car. confidence roping shouldn't ever require you to be any further than a couple meters.
 RomTheBear 01 Nov 2013
In reply to SteveD: Looks deadly, even with a confidence rope you need something dynamic, even a fall on one meter of slack could break your back.
 Ron Walker 01 Nov 2013
In reply to SteveD:

Just use common sense, I find it works in most situations, assuming you've got it? Confidence roping is, as it is, giving confidence rather than looking after folk where a slip could result in death or injury!

I assume you are talking about ML type ropework which is something I've never actually needed to use working as a Summer ML in the UK.

I very rarely carry a full rope working in a ML situation. If I carry a rope and think I need to use it then I'm then working as a MIA/MIC/Guide.

You are more likely to need to reassure folk in the winter rather than in the summer due to the variability of the conditions. Sensible planning and route choice should avoid this as a summer ML and even then a helping hand (holding their hands or grabbing clothing or the rucksack straps) and a bit of spotting will cope with most situations.

So in answer to your question climbing tape is fine for confidence roping, that is unless you are doing your Summer ML assessment!!!
In reply to RomTheBear:
> (In reply to SteveD) Looks deadly, even with a confidence rope you need something dynamic, even a fall on one meter of slack could break your back.

YOu aren't catching a fall. confidence roping is basically keeping hold of someone while you cross terrain where a stumble could turn into a tumble, or where they are unsteady and need support. You aren't anchored to anything, you are moving with the client above them to give confidence - hence the name.
 elsewhere 02 Nov 2013
In reply to RomTheBear:
> (In reply to SteveD) Looks deadly, even with a confidence rope you need something dynamic, even a fall on one meter of slack could break your back.

Cycling, football, rugby or just tripping up show that the human body can usually absorb the energy equivalent to a 1 meter fall without serious injury.

OP SteveD 03 Nov 2013
In reply to SteveD: Thanks guys, I have carried tape slings in the past to leash someone if required, never had to yet though I usually find a steadying hand on their pack is enough.

This came about because I was lowering a suitcase out of the loft and grabbed my slackline tape to do it, it struck me that it was easier to handle than my 8mm confidence line.

Not too concerned about how dynamic it is, it would be kept tight at all times, anything beyond that and I am well outside my remit!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...