UKC

Derwent water

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Im off to the lakes this weekend - Saturday is going to be spent in the hills (yeah, I know, the weather looks hellish).

As I'm staying in Braithwaite, I quite fancy running the circular of Derwentwater by parking close to it and then running the 16 or so KMs circumference (source: Google).

Quick question as I havent been around the lake before, is there somewhere decent to park right near the bank and are there nice paths all around to make it easy for me. I dont want to carry maps or somesuch so I'm hoping there is a well trodden and easy to follow route which will take me all around.

ta

Richard

p.s. I have split Derwent water in the title because UKC forums asked me not to include swear words in the subject title. Funny.
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Theres a good path the whole way along the western side of the lake, once you get to the bottom you'll have to take the road through Grange, over the bridge and along the Borrowdale road for a while until you can get back onto a path along the side of the lake.

Its pretty hard to get lost!
 Mowglee 01 Nov 2013
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr: There's a footpath which goes along the bottom of the lake with footbridge over the river, so no need to go to Grange.
 Al Evans 01 Nov 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:
p.s. I have split Derwent water in the title because UKC forums asked me not to include swear words in the subject title. Funny.

It used to be the same for Wastwater, but they seem to have sorted this out at last
 mattrm 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)
> p.s. I have split Derwent water in the title because UKC forums asked me not to include swear words in the subject title. Funny.
>
> It used to be the same for Wastwater, but they seem to have sorted this out at last

But can we talk about going to Scunthorpe?

Simon Caldwell 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
Nightwatch seems OK now as well
In reply to Toreador:

And Derwentwater
In reply to Mowglee: Ah, forgot about that path! The last couple of times I've been there its been flooded out (over the wooden walkway in places) haha
 mike123 01 Nov 2013
there s a race on sunday morning, the derwent 10, you might want to google it if you wanted a quiet morning. sorry i know nothing more because when our lass was talking about it i was looking at ukc and not really listening.
In reply to mike123:
> there s a race on sunday morning, the derwent 10, you might want to google it if you wanted a quiet morning. sorry i know nothing more because when our lass was talking about it i was looking at ukc and not really listening.

Ah, i didnt know that. Thanks for the heads up
 graeme jackson 01 Nov 2013
there's a sizeable carpark at Hawes end (mainly used by Catbells ascenscionists). You're on the allerdale ramble either north or south from here which follows the western shore of the lake
 Ridge 01 Nov 2013
I seem to recall the path on the eastern side of the lake is a bit manky for a mile or so due to muddy banks and tree roots, so you might have to walk/scramble for a bit. From memory, heading clockwise it's good from Keswick, past the theatre on the lake, round friars crag, then goes inland a bit. There's then a couple of dodgy bits, then once onto the fields opposite shepherds crag it's a good path across the south end of the lake and over the footbridge, (as mentioned earlier, no need to go to grange). Some nice paths heading north up through the woods on the west shore, although theres a few paths, some more direct than others.

Maybe someone can correct me on this, but to get back to Keswick I think you'll have to head up to Portinscale, across the suspension bridge and then back on a path through the fields parallel to the road to Keswick. I don't think theres a bridge closer to the lake.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...