UKC

GPS watch weirdness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mbh 01 Nov 2013
I went out for a 10 mile run today along a flattish trail surrounded but not buried by trees . For the second time in a week, at the same spot, about 3 miles in, my GPS watch had me going way off the trail (the same deviation both times), and achieving really rather impressive times. Apparently, today, I did a 6:30 mile, when the current pace indication at the time had me (busting a gut) to do 7:10 ish. The distance from there on was about 0.3 miles ahead of where it should have been, and I discover when I got home that I did a 58 s 400 m around about where it happened. All pish, sadly. I have run along this trail many, many, times without this happening.

Why does this happen, does anyone know, and what can I do about it?

The watch is a Garmin Forerunner 410.
 Banned User 77 01 Nov 2013
In reply to mbh: yeah my 405 does this.. sporadically, normally in trees but not always.. anyway thank yourself lucky.. some guy the other day was clocked as doing the final 2 miles of a marathon at 30 mph (2 minute miles)... these garmins get confused..
OP mbh 01 Nov 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

2 min miles is decent going, s'pose. I reckon I really was doing about 7:10 pace, which I wanted logged. I was trying 1 mile 7:10/8 min intervals. The weird thing is it has me wandering off up into the trees, making my 400 m split time one that even Seb would have struggled to beat. The exact same deviation both times this has happened, and I have run once along that route in between times with no mishap.
 Banned User 77 01 Nov 2013
In reply to mbh: I get something wierd whenever I cross the Ben Franklin Bridge.. I ALWAYS get a sudden spike in altitude at two points on the bridge, 50m up and down again over 20 m or so.. yet I'm running on a fairly flat bridge..
 LastBoyScout 01 Nov 2013
In reply to mbh:

My Timex once recorded a total height deviation from 30-odd metres below the start point to 30-odd metres above it during the course of an evening run.

I was on a flat track at the time!
 Ridge 01 Nov 2013
In reply to mbh:

That's nothing, on a couple of occasions I've run to North Africa and back several times, plus clocked 250,000 of ascent, all in my 45mins lunch break.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...