UKC

BD magnetrons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Choss 01 Nov 2013
anyone else really impressed with them?
In reply to Choss:
Yes.
 AlanLittle 01 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:

Very much not impressed with the Gridlock. Wears quickly, and so fiddly to clip/unclip that I quickly stopped using it on multipitch routes because otherwise I was clearly going to be dropping my belay device far too often.

I have the original Gridlock with a conventional screw gate though, so sorry for being off topic if it's the magnetron closure system itself you're interested in.
In reply to Choss:

Yeah, the Rocklock is a pleasure to use. No more screwing and unscrewing all the time - just click and it opens, yet all the benefits of an autolocker. I don't think I'll ever use a screwgate for belaying again.
needvert 01 Nov 2013
Doesn't always properly close, small glitch but I notice it from time to time.
 henwardian 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss: Played with one a few times. Would never buy one. Overpriced gimmick solution for some sort of imaginary problem that doesn't really exist.
Shiny thing for rich climbers who want bling I guess.
ice.solo 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:

Nice to belay in summer but too fiddly otherwise.
I dislike what i also dont like in other autos - they cant be left unlocked when wanted so
 ledifer 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:

Mates got one, they're brilliant.

Yes it is a gimmick and I probably don't have anything better to do with the 1.5 seconds of undoing a screwgate that it saves me, but they are cool
OP Choss 05 Nov 2013
In reply to henwardian:
> (In reply to Choss) Played with one a few times. Would never buy one. Overpriced gimmick solution for some sort of imaginary problem that doesn't really exist.
> Shiny thing for rich climbers who want bling I guess.

Im not a rich Climber by any stretch, and dont care for Bling, but do Appreciate an autolocking krab design that cant be rolled open by rope run.
needvert 05 Nov 2013
I do like them much more than any other autolocker I've ever held for my non-gloved adventures.

As to price...Not cheap, but unreasonable for the market. A Petzl Attache 3D is 20.95USD, and a Rocklock Magnetron is 24.95USD.
 winhill 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:

The gridlock version seems harder to understand, people I know with them don't seem to find them especially easy to get on, but then the screwgate gridlock doesn't seem that easy for some people.
 VirusKiller 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:

I wouldn't be without my Gridlock Magnetron for belaying. A bit fiddly as you need to hold it open to get the belay loop into the small end (unlike the non-Magnetron Gridlock when used correctly), but the locking mechanism is NOT a gimmick IMHO. It gives me far more confidence than a screwlock and is so easy to use, unlike twistlocks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...