UKC

Films at Kendal Mountain Film

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Skodas 02 Nov 2013
First time at the Kendal Mountain Film Festival in November and I keep seeing 'A Fine Line' advertised as part of the film competition. When I look to book tickets to the film it doesn't seem to be on the programme. Are all the films in the competition shown at the festival? If so how do I book tickets? Any info much appreciated.

Graeme
In reply to Skodas:

It will be part of the various film sessions although it isn't clear from the web site when the various sessions are scheduled.

I suspect if you buy an all day film pass then you will have access to a session showing 'A Fine Line'.

It might be worth giving them a ring though to check - http://www.mountainfest.co.uk/contact

Alan
Andy Perkins 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Skodas:
Hi Graeme.
See http://www.mountainfest.co.uk/film/detail/a-fine-line
Enjoy the Festival
 jonny taylor 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> it isn't clear from the web site when the various sessions are scheduled

This is a far cry from the colour-coded timeline they provided last year if I remember rightly, but you can check times for each session here

http://www.mountainfest.co.uk/programme/day/category/film
 Dark-Cloud 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:
> (In reply to Graeme Schofield)

> I suspect if you buy an all day film pass then you will have access to a session showing 'A Fine Line'.
>

I cant understand the decision not to ticket things individually, if somebody only wants to see one film on a day they have to drop £19.50 on a pass, seems a weird way to go, easier to manage for them no doubt but could easily end up with empty venues.
 jonny taylor 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
> could easily end up with empty venues

Last year from memory it was pretty much packed throughout the weekend.
 Dark-Cloud 14 Nov 2013
In reply to jonny taylor: That's because they sold individual tickets fo films though, unless I am mistaken.
 ablackett 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Just got back from a great couple of days at Kendal. "A fine line" was good, hope you enjoyed it. Couple of highlights for me were the "Petit Bus Rouge" and the one about the chap who cycled then soloed some big mountain in the old USSR.

The Sensei was a delight, both wide boyz films were fantastic, lots of quality around.

The short version of the film about the lady who was travelling round the world, but the film only featured her kayaking across to france, was dreadful, the narration would have been better suited to a kids programme and I really felt like they made a big deal of 3 6 hour shifts in a kayak.

Leo Holding climbing in antarctica was pretty, but not hugely exciting. Distilled was a well made, nice biography with some great scottish climbing shots.

Overall I think the standard of entries was better than last year, but having 3 films from the same french director, Petzl rock trip, Rocking Cuba, Silbergia all of a similar style was poor selection, especially as the rock trip and Silbergia were terrible films with hugely annoying editing, special effects which were rubbish, and some of the worst music I have ever heard.

Didn't get to see mountaineering, as it was in the Studio today and therefore filled up. What a shame they didn't put it on in the cinema, screen 2, which was half empty with the snow films.

jonny taylor 17 Nov 2013
In reply to ablackett:
> The short version of the film about the lady who was travelling round the world, but the film only featured her kayaking across to france, was dreadful, the narration would have been better suited to a kids programme and I really felt like they made a big deal of 3 6 hour shifts in a kayak.

The long one was a similar standard but, well, longer.

> Overall I think the standard of entries was better than last year

My take was that I didn't see any this year that were quite as bad as a couple I had a big problem with last year. However fewer ones stood out to me as genuinely excellent this year. Last year though there were several "adventure & exploration" ones that I thought were absolutely outstanding, and nothing quite hit that high mark for me this year. I also wasn't very impressed with the number of flagrant adverts this year, several in the water session, and the Petzl ones felt like they were just trying to sell a brand, without much of an interesting story to tell.

That said, I very much enjoyed The Sensei and Distilled, and there were some rather nice ones in the cultural session too - glad we caught that in the last slot of the day. Oh, and the everest ones were thought provoking.
 jonny taylor 17 Nov 2013
In reply to ablackett:
In reply to ablackett:
> the one about the chap who cycled then soloed some big mountain in the old USSR

Not pictured: a massive pile of weed. Or at least that was R's verdict on it.

> Didn't get to see mountaineering, as it was in the Studio today and therefore filled up

Pity, there were some good ones in there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...