UKC

Cayman Islands climbing options

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
So an interesting career oppertunity may have come my way which would involve a relocation to Grand Cayman in the Cayman Islands! I've worked out that I'd be well served in George Town for scuba diving and Crossfit (two ticks) but I can't establish whether there's any sort of climbing wall facilities - has anyone been there? Sounds like there's no climbable rock on that particular sandy island paradise (one cross).

However, the sport climbing on the adjacent island, Cayman Brac, is pretty much world class - has anyone been to that bit?

It looks like flights into Peru from there would be 4hrs or so so I could still get my mountaineering fix. (one tick)

I could wear a sarong to work every day (big tick).

Why do these sort of things come up just as Winter is arriving in Scotland? =o)
 Daysleeper 06 Nov 2013
In reply to highaltitudebarista:

Went to Brac a couple of years ago, didn't get the chance to do any climbing, tbh i didn't even think about it and had no gear. (Did go diving, easier to rent).
The Bluff is pretty impressive and we did a bit of wandering off the road up top. Terrain underfoot is brutal, it's basically a coral reef thrust up in the air, it will rip your shoes to bits and there are loads of deep sinkholes, by deep I mean 50 - 100 ft deep, with perhaps a 4 foot wide opening at the top, hidden in the low scrub, opening out to 30 ft or more underground.
Overall be very cautious stepping off a trail would be my advice.

Brac Reef hotel sells decent rum punch, Edd's place (bar) is entertaining in a slightly dodgy kind of way. It's very "island" everyone knows everyone and in 5 minutes everyone will know you and your business.

Lot of the place still looks much as it did when the last hurricane went through. there is no beach apart from the Brac Reef hotel's bit - the rest of it is rock to the water.

Anyhow definitely worth a trip over.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...