UKC

New Nikon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Ponting 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Brian: Looks cool, but I'm guessing we have to pay through the nose for that? If it's metal and durable, I'd be seriously interested; if (easily-breakable) plastic, then not so much.
 dek 04 Nov 2013
In reply to Brian:
Similar styling to my knackered old Nikon FA.
 Henry Iddon 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Brian:

I don't understand all this faux retro thing - if you want to enjoy the sense of shooting using an 'analogue' camera then why not just by a second hand one and shoot film !

If you want the benefits of a modern digital camera then just use one of the latest models with all its benefits.
 chris fox 05 Nov 2013
In reply to David Ponting:

WEX have it with 50mm f1.8 for £2750 !
 d_b 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Henry Iddon:

Because not all the developments have been positive.

A good digital sensor & electronics married to manual focus and a decent range finder is an excellent combination for some jobs.
 d_b 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Brian:

Does that thing support F mount lenses? If so then I'm very interested.
 ChrisJD 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Brian:

Blimey, could they have made it any uglier!?
 d_b 05 Nov 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:

Hardly matters. If you have any sense you don't buy the first camera when a new system comes out anyway. Hopefully they will fix the styling along with most of the bugs on the second or third iteration.
 d_b 05 Nov 2013
In reply to chris fox:

it is horribly tempting, although I can't justify a new camera at all right now.
 ChrisJD 05 Nov 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:
> (In reply to ChrisJD)
>
> Hardly matters.

Well it would matter to me.
 Henry Iddon 05 Nov 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Most DSLR's can be used as manual focus and unless I'm misunderstood this isn't a rangefinder.

It just seems pointless to me, esp in an SLR package ( which is pretty ugly looking as ChrisJD says ).

To me they've made a fashion accessory. From a practical point of view there are plenty of other options.

I can see the appeal to some extent with a retro looking compact such as the Fuji X100s which tips a wink at retro styling.

I think the most interesting camera Nikon have brought outs recently is the Nikon A - which all tho it has compromises is very small and yet very high quality.
 Tom Last 05 Nov 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:
> (In reply to Henry Iddon)
>
> and a decent range finder

Do you mean split scene focus, which maybe this has? It's not a rangefinder though.
 d_b 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Tom Last:

I was talking in general about why people liked retro cameras, not specifically that one.
 Tom Last 05 Nov 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:
> (In reply to Tom Last)
>
> I was talking in general about why people liked retro cameras, not specifically that one.

Sorry, fair enough. I'd love Fuji to release a digital equivalent the old G-series rangefinders, if they haven't already.
 Richard Carter 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Brian:

What on Earth is the point?

It'll be dreadful for manual focussing, as all modern AF SLR's are. It looks dog ugly and it's not even cheap!

"This is a serious camera for serious people which is to be used for 'pure photography', not videos"

Erm. The D4 does videos, it's still pretty good at taking pictures too! I don't see why the people so opposed to video can't just ignore it as a function.
In reply to David Ponting:

Just out of curiosity, how many cameras have you broken? I've broken many more metal ones than plastic ones. I think the durability of plastic cameras is very under-rated.
In reply to Brian:

Actually in fairness to the Df, I've thought of a redeeming feature!

If you use the 45mm f/2.8P on a regular Nikon (D4, D800, whatever) it looks a bit silly. It'd still be rubbish to focus on the Df, but it would look less silly.
 d_b 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Henry Iddon:

TBH my ideal camera would probably be something like a digital version of a Minox 35. High quality 35mm sensor, aperture priority mode only and a very sharp, fast prime lens in a compact body.

Unfortunately nobody is ever going to make one.
 ChrisJD 05 Nov 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

The Sony RX-1 comes pretty close to that brief.

Plus the Sigma DP Merrills
 london_huddy 05 Nov 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Fuji x10 is close...

Henry Iddon 06 Nov 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Nikon A - for size and image quality it can't be far off.
 ChrisJD 06 Nov 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Panasonic GM-1 with 50m f1.4

Now that's a small package with fast sharp lens.
Removed User 06 Nov 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Not full frame but the Ricoh GR may be the closest option

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/gr/

I have the GRD II, same chassis and it comfortably slips in the pocket, great performance for a wee camera and an incredibly sharp lens. the GR can only be better. I've seen the work of a few street shooters with the GR and the results are fabulous. I've got the eye piece for mine.... it's now worth more than the camera!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...