UKC

repair estimates

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lost1977 04 Nov 2013
need some help concerning my rights, recently had some problems with my studio speakers and found a company online who give quotes for repairs. contacted them an they said no problems they arranged collection and said they would give me a quote (waited for a week for them to get back to me, eventually contacted them). the quote they gave me was more than a new set and the only guarantee they would give was 90 days so in the end i only paid for the courier costs but they won't even tell me what was wrong with them.
for all i know they haven't even been looked at
 NorthernGrit 04 Nov 2013
In reply to lost1977:

So you want them to invest their time/knowledge in fault finding, tell you the outcome, you say 'no thanks' and then fix them yourself? (Not saying you would but plenty of people would)

Sounds pretty standard to me. In fact it sounds like good service that they didn't charge you a refusal fee.
OP lost1977 04 Nov 2013
In reply to NorthernGrit:

the price for the courier is considerably more than i could arranged one for
OP lost1977 04 Nov 2013
also considering what they wanted to charge for the repair was over 50% more than a new set they couldn't really think i would have accepted their quote
 wilkie14c 04 Nov 2013
In reply to lost1977: The cost of spare parts can seem mental compared to the cost on a new item. Buy a laptop from PC world for 300 quid then attempt to make one the same from new spare parts, and the cost of labour to do it and you'd be looking at well over a grand! The company have prob already lost money in time taken to diagnose the fault and to be fair, 90 days guarantee is pretty good.
Jim C 04 Nov 2013
> (In reply to lost1977)
>
> So you want them to invest their time/knowledge in fault finding, tell you the outcome, you say 'no thanks' and then fix them yourself? (Not saying you would but plenty of people would)
>
> Sounds pretty standard to me. In fact it sounds like good service that they didn't charge you a refusal fee.

You maybe did not watch rogue traders where a TV repair shop was ripping people off, and holding their goods hostage. It could just as well be that situation, as the one you describe.
 FreshSlate 04 Nov 2013
In reply to lost1977: I agree, they can't quote you more than the thing is worth for a repair. No one in their mind is going to accept that, all they should say then is that "it's not worth repairing because it's X" and ask you if you want it back.

If someone brings me a phone worth 300 pounds, and the repair is (somehow) going to cost 450 it would just not be economical to fix and gets scrapped for parts. Both me and the customer would know it's a waste of time and I woudln't give them a quote for 150% of the price of the item. The whole point of a repair is that it costs less than replacing it completely. Not that I fix phones for a living...
 FreshSlate 04 Nov 2013
> (In reply to lost1977)
>
> So you want them to invest their time/knowledge in fault finding, tell you the outcome, you say 'no thanks' and then fix them yourself? (Not saying you would but plenty of people would)
>
> Sounds pretty standard to me. In fact it sounds like good service that they didn't charge you a refusal fee.

If they have any knowledge what-so-ever then they will know it's not worth repairing at that price, thus there wouldn't be anything to lose in telling them what the fault is as they're not getting the job anyway.
OP lost1977 11 Nov 2013
In reply to everyone:

Had a bit of a result although they are out of warranty I spoke to the manufacturer and they have asked me to return them to them as they want to replace them

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...