UKC

Recommend me a bouldering wall in Birmingham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 04 Nov 2013
I'm staying in Redditch for a few days. Planning on a training session tomorrow evening, more interested in circuits and crimps than solving puzzles on slopers at the moment, and convenient to get to from South of Birmingham. thanks in advance for suggestions and recommendations
 Yanis Nayu 04 Nov 2013
In reply to kevin stephens: Creation has good and extensive bouldering. It's in Moseley, easily accessible from Redditch.
 Martin Wright 05 Nov 2013
In reply to kevin stephens:
+1 for Creation. You won't be disappointed.
 dsgarner 05 Nov 2013
In reply to kevin stephens: There is bouldering in the centre of birmingham. Redpoint has some bouldering, everything seems hard, and the walls are quite short/lots of sit starts.

Birmingham Boulder Centre is in the centre of Birmingham (near Snow Hill Station). Some good stuff there, range of problems (some can be a bit technical). I would reccomend it.

A bit further out is Boulder Central. It is good with a wide range of grades and problems (everything from hard slabes to easy roofs), some of the walls can be quite tall. Good atmosphere, friendly staff and good coffee.
 Neil Williams 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Martin Wright:

Only problem with Creation is that it's not heated nor really insulated so it gets *very* cold in winter.

Redpoint is IMO very good. The walls are low, but it means they think quite hard about their problems rather than them just being a thuggish sit start followed by 3 metres of vertical climbing on rotten holds as some walls are. It's one of the few places where I'd choose to spend a day bouldering rather than just doing a bit of bouldering as part of a day on the ropes.

Neil
 JimboWizbo 05 Nov 2013
In reply to kevin stephens: Birmingham boulder center is really quite good. It's new and colourful and clean, with good problems. And it's in the city center so, you know, Greggs
 mhawk 05 Nov 2013
In reply to kevin stephens: boulder central for me, I drive past three other walls to get there. Redpoint is really good too as a climbing centre and the bouldering is really good, but for me boulder central is best by a good margin.
 Neil Henson 05 Nov 2013
In reply to kevin stephens: Another vote for Birmingham Bouldering Centre. Loads of well set problems that are changed regularly. Friendly atmosphere, good tea and great cakes. What's not to like?
 Os_878 05 Nov 2013
In reply to kevin stephens: Redpoint is Okay & Creation is good.
But id avoid Boulder Central like the plague, i find it awful place to boulder. personally find it uninspiring, dull & some problems are ridiculous for a variety of reasons (Moves, Graded harder than they feel) also i find the centre has a lot of problems at the very low grades & not much above. on the plus side for BC the training area is okay & the Height/ Arm width thingy is a novel gimmick.
 Ice hippo 05 Nov 2013
Hi Kevin
I'm a member of Solihull Mountaineering Club we meet at creation on Tuesday evenings
Some of our guys boulder they are friendly bunch, thought it might be nice to have a intro to the locals, hope to see you later or enjoy where ever you choose to go
Su
 Brumbler 05 Nov 2013

I used to stick up for Creation a lot but after over 18 months of just getting worse and worse I would say stay away. The bouldering at Redpoint for me isn't the best either. Boulder central is a really good centre but it really doesn't suit me at all. If I were you I'd head to Birmingham Bouldering Center, the setting is about the best you'll find anywhere let alone in Brum, the recent circuits have some really crimpy problems and has the bonus of being very easy to get to, oh and great coffee!
 najki_2000 07 Nov 2013
Redpoint for me. Especially since you are not a beginner. Very good warm up circuits before hitting the crimpy stuff on barrel or system board downstairs. Some crimpy problems on verticals as well.
Boulder Central would be my second choice though not been for a year or so.
As mentioned above, Redpoint is short but then I'm not keen on breaking ankles/hurting knees when training
 Juicefree 07 Nov 2013
In reply to kevin stephens: Redditch's finest training venue is situated in the pleasant village of Crabb's Cross.

However, failing access to this towering edifice I'd suggest Boulder Central in West Brom. In terms of driving access from Redditch it's considerably easier than trying to negotiate the center of Brum.
In reply to kevin stephens: thanks all. I didn't make it in the end due to work, but I'm often down in Redditch so will take up advice for next visits
 JayK 07 Nov 2013
In reply to najki_2000:

If you're not a beginner you shouldn't be breaking ankles bouldering indoors at any wall.

BBC is my favourite as it's convenient with really well set problems on clean walls. Good training and cheap tea or high quality coffee.

The other walls are all good but have more disadvantages for me than BBC.
 Ian Parsons 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Juicefree:
> (In reply to kevin stephens) Redditch's finest training venue is situated in the pleasant village of Crabb's Cross.

Really - where?
 Murd 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Juicefree: Can't say I've seen that...and I'm very close?
 Juicefree 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Murd: If you can't see it you should be able to hear the booming bass!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...