UKC

First Fell race - this Sat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Any last minute tips? it's 10k 600m ascent and I'm aiming for 1:15 (depending on terrain/weather). Hopefully this blister on my pinky toe will have healed enough to not bother me!
 Jim Hamilton 05 Nov 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

don't forget "full kit" if required
In reply to Jim Hamilton: yeah, got waterproofs etc. hoping for good weather.
 Tony the Blade 05 Nov 2013

Where is it?
In reply to Tony the Blade: Rhobell Fawr nr Coed Y Brenin
 Steve John B 05 Nov 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Take something warm to change into afterwards. And enjoy it!

If there's the option, take the rub down/massage when you've done.

Take a flask with sweet tea for after.

Vaseline your undercarriage.

Enjoy/smile/laugh - it's great fun!
In reply to Tony the Blade:
> (In reply to highclimber)
>
> If there's the option, take the rub down/massage when you've done.

Only if they are female.

> Take a flask with sweet tea for after.

Already on it - there's soup and rolls provided.
> Vaseline your undercarriage.

I tend not to chafe unless its windy and wet
>
> Enjoy/smile/laugh - it's great fun!

I don't doubt it!

Banned User 77 05 Nov 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Thought it would be..

Decent enough race.. basically along a track then follow a wall for a few k.. then you have to leave the wall to branch up to the summit.. its tricky there and normally not marked.. a series of knolls.. luckily I had people to follow as I wasn't expecting to have any issues.. don't think its marked, wasn't when I did it anyway..

Then down the same way. Proper fell shoe terrain, pretty tussocky terrain, not much of a path up that wall.. then descend down the track. Nice community race.

> (In reply to Tony the Blade)
>
> I tend not to chafe unless its windy and wet

Two out of two!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2651154

In reply to IainRUK: Yeah, it says it's partially marked. hopefully there'll be people to follow. My shoes are a bit worn but they were ok coming off Eilio yesterday so should be ok. Managed 12k with 700m in about 1:30 yesterday so hopefully won't have an embarrisngly slow time!
Moley 05 Nov 2013
I did the race some years back (in my racing days), pretty straightforward course to follow, up and back down and be plenty of others running.
Tips?
Don't forget the weather on top may be different from at the start - obvious I know - but allow for wind chill and cold as it's your first and you may be slow, tired and knackered by the top.
You won't feel your blister, everything else will hurt more!!
Good luck.
In reply to Moley: ive done quite a bit of fell running with mates over the past 3 years on and off so im thinking this should be a good training run for some longer/harder races next year. Psyched now.
deleted user 06 Nov 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: good luck ant!
 Banned User 77 06 Nov 2013
In reply to samsimpson: If Ifan richards is running, he probably is, watch him as he descends.. one of the best descenders around.. keep clear of him. I can match him up hill, sometimes beat him, sometimes he beats me, but descending he mauls me. At a more runnable race like Snowdon I tend to beat him but on the steeper rougher terrain he just murders me. We had a great battle ascending Cader one year and I was pretty confident I had him.. and then he buggered off at the summit rocks and I never saw him again..

Pretty easy to spot, short hair, earing, tattoos. Nice guy, his missus will probably be taking the pics.
andymac 06 Nov 2013

Is the blister on the top of your toe.

I've got blisters on the two smallest toes on each foot ,and only tonight are they calming down..

Speedcross on Nevis descent disagreed with my tootsies ,big time.

Inov8 do not give me grief like that
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Enjoy! It's just over a year since my first fell race and since then i've all but given up climbing (partly due to work, partners etc) in favour of fell running. Racing, particularly the small, local ones, is about as much 'fun' as you can have for less than a fiver and it'll bring your running on loads.

Tip? Find someone close to your ability, maybe just in front of you at the finish line, and try and beat them every time you race against. It's got me out training plenty of times when i wouldn't have other wise. Rivalry can do great things for your fitness!
In reply to higherclimbingwales: thanks for the advice. Ran the race in 76mins in what can only be described as slippy conditions! Had a great time cant wait for the next one!.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...