UKC

Cost of a 3-4 month climbing trip in Europe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Norris 05 Nov 2013
Hello all,

My wife and I are considering going on a 3-4 month climbing holiday in Europe in 2015.

The vague current plan is to buy a campervan and drive to various places in France and Italy etc and just bum about climbing.

I was wondering whether anyone has done something similar and could give a rough guide on how much money this kid of thing would cost?

Cheers

Simon
 Heike 05 Nov 2013
In reply to The Norris:
Hello, we did this this year. My husband, wee boy and myself meeting with several friends along the way. Cost was astonishingly low - i.e. less than we would have spent at home. 14 weeks, I'd say about £3500 all in (Petrol, ferries,etc). We went via Font to Corsica, Provence, Haute Provence, Briancon, Vercors, Switzerland - various areas, South of Munich, Wilder Kaiser, Garmisch area, Frankenjura and Bersdorf.

Now, the real cost of the holiday was a broken gear box (automatic) on our vw campervan...that was £5500 Euro - yikes!

That (shocker) aside, this was the best thing to do in the world! It was so nice, wish I was back on the trip!
Go for it!
 JayPee630 05 Nov 2013
In reply to The Norris:

Depends a lot on how much you're willing to rough it - that is, park up and use public toilets/swim etc, or you want to use campsites that will cost loads more. I did 3 weeks in France and Spain, and it was pretty cheap after the ferry costs there.

I'm planning on a longer 5-6 month climbing trip to Spain in a winter or two, starting in the south and then moving north as it gets warmer, ending up in the South of France in the spring.

I was thinking £5-6,000 costs for that after the ferry costs/actually getting there.
 Heike 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Heike: just to clarify we did 14 weeks.

OP The Norris 05 Nov 2013
In reply to Heike:

Thanks guys that sounds very doable.

Time to get planning!
 Heike 05 Nov 2013
In reply to The Norris: Happy planning, as I said its just great, so relaxing! have fun!
 samwillo 06 Nov 2013
In reply to The Norris: Not sure why everyone else is predicting such high costs. Have managed two summers around Europe now (3 months each) costing about £2400 per trip (2 of us in a car). Including petrol and ferry..
 DaveR 06 Nov 2013
In reply to The Norris:

I did 7 months round Euroope in my van a couple of years ago, the first 4 months there were two of us, the last 3 months just me. I spent roughly £10 a day on average, that includes food, diesel, travel insurance, van insurance and european breakdown.

I avoided driving too much, as in once I went to an area I'd stay there for a few weeks at least. It's the big drives that can eat up a lot of your fuel.

I only spend about 5 nights in paid accomodation in the 7 months, the rest of the time I parked in car parks, lay bys and free campsites.

Stock up on lots of food in cheap supermarkets when you can.

Giles Davis 06 Nov 2013
In reply to The Norris:

I too have been thinking about this (although when our daughter goes to Uni in a few years).

To the married couples who've done this, what did your employers say? Did you just quit your jobs or did you get the time off unpaid etc.?

Cheers
Giles
 Pete 06 Nov 2013
In reply to The Norris: A bit of advice on choice of vehicle. Over the years I have had six campervans and travelled all over Europe regularly. I class myself as a bit of an expert on these vehicles and travelling with them and I have actually written reviews from one of the major motorhome magazines. My first and worst was the traditional VW Campervan and, frankly, I have never worked out why people are so hung up on these. I suppose it is the romantic image of hippies ,travelling bums and the whole freedom thing. In reality, they are overpriced for what they are, poor impractical layout, primitive,limited facilities, they break down and are expensive to repair and you really have to stay at overpriced campsites if you want to stay clean and sanitary.

For not much more money you can get something like say, an old Autosleeper Symbol, with relatively little mileage on the clock. This will be on a Peugeot or Fiat base, not much bigger than the traditional VW Camper, but far more practical, preferably diesel and it has a practical layout including a decent bed conversion, practical lounge, decent cooking facilities and a small shower and toilet room. Thus you become self-contained and don't have to stay at overpriced campsites all of the time. Europe is a much more motorhome friendly place than UK where ownership of a campervan turns you into a social pariah. In Europe the world is your oyster. There are aires everywhere with limited facilites (all you will need is water and somewhere to empty a chemical toilet). A large number of these are free and they are all well documented. I have campervan stops all over Europe loaded onto my Tom Tom from the Camperstop Book. So once you pay to get across the Channel it is just fuel, food and booze. Diesel is also a fair bit cheaper in Europe especially if you shop around the big supermarkets.

I take the whole of August every year and travel Europe and have done so for the last six years. I will in the not to distant future, go for a lot longer. My current van is 6.5 metres long on a Ford Transit (brilliant base). I carry two mountain bikes, a small motorbike, a kayak, tables and chairs and all our clothes and accoutrements and we still return 32mpg. Most times, doing up to 2500 miles (got to Slovenia last year) the whole thing costs not much over a grand. Another little cost saver is to get a Tesco Credit Card. Buy everything on it and you get Tesco points these are redeemable on a 3 x face value basis on Channel Tunnel. Thus I rarely pay more than 50 quid return for my Channel crossing because, unlike the ferries the tunnel do not price on length.

I am happy to give you anymore advice if you contact me by email. Could save you some expensive mistakes.
 tjekel 06 Nov 2013
In reply to The Norris: we also travelled round europe several times using camping gear as well as a skoda roomster to sleep in. Less fuel - it is just an ordinary car ... and of course much more roughing it. On the other hand in the dolomites or some swiss areas campers are regarly driven away and/or asked to pay hefty fines ... not so with a car parked on the parking for hut.
 Pete 07 Nov 2013
In reply to tjekel: Yes, I agree. Around Cortina in the Dolomites it is not very motorhome friendly. There is an old disused airfield devoted to campervans, but it is quite pricey. However, in other places, such as the top of the Sella Pass there is a large car park where you can park for nothing. Switzerland, being, like Britain, a small,overcrowded country, is not a very motorhome friendly area and the campsite costs are outrageous. Avoid it is my advice. This year I stayed in the campsite at Grindelvald. Just had to bite the bullet and pay, but it was a nice campsite.

But you can always find somewhere. I have frequently just parked in a quiet street (who is to know that you are not a resident or just visiting?) Even in our motorhome unfriendly country I have never had any problem. If you keep a low profile and only use a particular spot for one night at a time it always works. For this country there is a website called 'Wild Camping for Motorhomes'. It lists over 5000 locations where you can stay in UK and you can download the whole file to Tom Tom or other sat navs for 15 quid a year. I think they may be extending the remit to Europe.
 Heike 07 Nov 2013
In reply to samwillo: Well it was three of us and you were only two!

Heike 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Giles Davis:
One left the job, and one unpaid leave plus annual leave!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...