UKC

weight or vest belt?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 French Erick 05 Nov 2013
I am looking for what the title says. Climbing will be on steep and often on roof upside down. I've had a look but nothing I've seen thus far enthused me.
So if you use(d) one, what is it? and how happy are you with it?
Cheers
 frqnt 05 Nov 2013
In reply to French Erick:
> I am looking for what the title says.
Assume you mean weight vest or belt?

If so, I've used both. I own a weight vest (XLR8 brand from NZ) with pockets so you can add/remove weight packets accumulating to a total of 10kg.

For actual climbing (especially so on a roof), I'd use a vest for better weight distribution. Unless of course you want to build exceptional core strength, then go for the belt. Although I expect a belt will hinder form too much unless you can comfortably do levers with additional weight at your mid section?

Another good one is to use mountain boots; not only are they heavy but foot placement becomes cumbersome, placing emphasis on core/upper body strength.
OP French Erick 05 Nov 2013
In reply to frqnt:
It's for use on a crack machine. Big boots are not an option as I would not be able to have footholds at all. I ain't interested in campussing. I want to increase the intensity of my training, at the moment I am lapping as much as the foot pain will allow.

To Daniel:
Thought it through, vest seems the best option. I'm after product names that people have used. Also open to belt if the users found them very good though.

Cheers
 frqnt 05 Nov 2013
Sounds gnarly. What mass range are you looking for? A bag with a hydration bladder may fit the bill for something not too intense? Not ideal weight distribution c.f. a vest but it would, essentially, be adjustable.
 JCurrie 05 Nov 2013
Rack in a Pack??
needvert 05 Nov 2013

Adidas make a 10kg vest with small bags of sand scattered throughout it. Pretty comfortable. I figure sand is more comfortable than cast iron.
 splat2million 05 Nov 2013
You have to be a little careful where you use weight vests:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-15190563

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...