UKC

Exempt our Mountain Rescue services from VAT

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JR 06 Nov 2013
Not another petition you all say.... but here's something that UKC could really put all their weight and support behind.

Chris Davies MEP is working with Tim Farron MP to try and persuade the EU and the Government to exempt Mountain Rescue services from VAT. The work our volunteer Mountain Rescue Teams do should be supported by the Government. Exempting Mountain Rescue from VAT would make sure that the donations given by the public all go towards preserving and enhancing this life saving service.

http://www.chrisdaviesmep.org.uk/mountain_rescue

browndog33 06 Nov 2013
In reply to John Roberts (JR): Done
 drolex 06 Nov 2013
In reply to John Roberts (JR): Is it not already the case? See paragraph 3.4 here
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal...

If they have to pay VAT there is something wrong, or I miss something (probably both).
 Andy Nisbet 06 Nov 2013
In reply to John Roberts (JR):

Done, and posted on Facebook.
 hokkyokusei 06 Nov 2013

What do Mountain Rescue currently pay VAT on?
 Mike Highbury 06 Nov 2013
In reply to hokkyokusei:
> (In reply to John Roberts (JR))
>
> What do Mountain Rescue currently pay VAT on?

We've been here before, haven't we?

But like a rebel army nothing can stop a popular campaign.
 climbwhenready 06 Nov 2013
In reply to drolex:

So if I read this right...

Section 2.1: the items purchased must be "qualifying"
Section 4.1: defines "qualifying"
Section 4.8: the relevant amount of "qualifying" for SAR services - it looks quite narrow in scope!
 drolex 06 Nov 2013
In reply to climbwhenready: Yeah I have signed the petition anyway, don't have the patience to try to understand all the subtleties of this kind of shenanigans. But if anyone has a good knowledge of this matter I would be interested to understand the details.
OP JR 06 Nov 2013
In reply to drolex:

My understanding in a nutshell:

This was campaigned for in 2011 and exemption on qualifying goods was applied for. Danny Alexander gave a concession of £200k across all Rescue Teams which amounts to around 2.5k per team - which I understand doesn't cover the actual total VAT paid.

The RNLI have been given an exemption at EU level for all their VAT on equipment and fuel, as I understand have the Air Ambulance on their fuel supplies. Therefore the point is that Mountain Rescue teams VAT exemption should be brought in line with similar rescue services.

drolex 06 Nov 2013
In reply to John Roberts (JR): Thanks for that!
 efrance24234 06 Nov 2013
In reply to John Roberts (JR): so should every service that does good things and counts on volunteers be exempt from VAT?
OP JR 06 Nov 2013

Well that's over 100 in the 90 minutes... Keep that up and there'll have 1000 by bedtime.
 cfer 06 Nov 2013
In reply to John Roberts (JR): I actually asked this question on Question Time when I was in the audience several years ago...It didnt make the programme and no-one could answer why they were not exempt
 Philip 06 Nov 2013
In reply to efrance24234:
> (In reply to John Roberts (JR)) so should every service that does good things and counts on volunteers be exempt from VAT?

Yes.
Wiley Coyote2 06 Nov 2013
Stop quibbling folks. MRTs save the government millions evey year by providing a volunteer service that would otherwise have to be provided atpublic expense. The least the govt can do is stop charging the volunteers for the priviledge of saving our lives.
 danm 06 Nov 2013
In reply to John Roberts (JR): Thanks for the heads up John. Signed.
OP JR 06 Nov 2013
In reply to danm:

No problem.
In reply to John Roberts (JR): I'm not against MR being exempt VAT. But it does raise the question of who else should be exempt. Should ambulance crew be exempt VAT for some of the items they purchase? Should the Police? The Armed Forces? I am all for expemting VAT for MR, but it isn't in isolation.
 drolex 06 Nov 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains: Note that in the case of public bodies, this VAT is payed by the taxpayer in the end, so I guess it doesn't really affect their finances
In reply to drolex: A good point to consider, thanks.
 Mike Highbury 06 Nov 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
> (In reply to drolex) A good point to consider, thanks.

That and most public bodies are exempt.
 drolex 06 Nov 2013
In reply to Mike Highbury: Once again the consistency across similar bodies is, er, strange

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-17379009
 andrewmc 06 Nov 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
> (In reply to John Roberts (JR)) I'm not against MR being exempt VAT. But it does raise the question of who else should be exempt. Should ambulance crew be exempt VAT for some of the items they purchase? Should the Police? The Armed Forces? I am all for expemting VAT for MR, but it isn't in isolation.

I believe that drinks in military bars (and the Houses of Parliament?) are tax free :P
 The Pylon King 06 Nov 2013

Done and put up on FB
OP JR 06 Nov 2013
In reply to The Pylon King:

Great!
OP JR 07 Nov 2013

Bump
OP JR 07 Nov 2013

I've just had an email from Chris' office to thank us for all the support from UKC and the traction it's gained so far. Keep it up!
 JamButty 07 Nov 2013
In reply to John Roberts (JR): Its been tried before so hopefully at some point common sense will prevail.
Signed and FB'd.....
OP JR 11 Nov 2013

bump
 jhb0510 12 Nov 2013
In reply to John Roberts (JR): Just Signed it, so should everyone else!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...