UKC

Bike recommendation for an undemanding MTB'er

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bulls Crack 06 Nov 2013
Just getting back into biking again after a long time away (and i was never much cop at it) but starting to get keen and want to move on from my old suspensionless and ancient Diamondback. Mostly do undemanding trails in the S Pennines, nothing too technical, quite a bit of road in between.

anybody got any recommendation for a cheap bike about £400 say?

Thanks
 Ben07 06 Nov 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack: ive got a mtb for sale. It's a claude butler cape wrath, with rock shox revelation forks, mavic crossride wheels, dropper seat post, hydraulic disc brakes, new chain and cassette, been all over peak district on it this year and never let me siren. Want £300 for it. if ya interested.
 Ben07 06 Nov 2013
In reply to Ben07:* let me down
 MonkeyPuzzle 06 Nov 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Get on Fleabay or Retrobike forums and buy a 10-15 year old top-of-the-line, well looked after MTB that will beat anything new for that price into a cocked hat.
 TobyA 06 Nov 2013
In reply to lost1977: Yep, I'm a happy part-owner of the Rockrider 5.3 with my dad. It stays at my parents' place but I get to ride it when I'm in the UK, and it handles quite technical stuff really rather well for a bike of that price but isn't too slovenly on the roads either. Then you'd still have some money left over to buy some comfy bibs etc.
OP Bulls Crack 06 Nov 2013
In reply to Ben07:

Thanks all but don't have the readies at the moment
 Rog Wilko 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack: I can't recommend a particular bike but I wouldn't settle for anything that doesn't have disc brakes. They are the best innovation of recent years. Very confidence boosting, low maintenance and, best of all, they don't get to destroy your rims with grit embedded in the pads. I've got cable operated ones and they're fine. Can't comment on the hydraulic ones, but to me they sound unnecessarily hi-tech and therefore likely to be more trouble (not based on personal experience though).
 TobyA 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Rog Wilko:
> I've got cable operated ones and they're fine. Can't comment on the hydraulic ones, but to me they sound unnecessarily hi-tech and therefore likely to be more trouble (not based on personal experience though).

I'd say the opposite, I've had two cable sets, one pair seized up and I had to bin them, the second set is on my CX - they ok but need plenty of fiddling with to keep well tuned. Then I've had two hydraulic pairs, one set needed bleeding once (easy), the other never. The hydraulic ones work better and need less maintenance I've found.

Rog Wilko 07 Nov 2013
In reply to TobyA: I stand corrected.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...