UKC

Should British citizens be give a vote on Eu membership.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Oliiver 06 Nov 2013
Regardless of your view, should we be given a vote on membership, on the basis that were a democracy and the Eu greatly influences us? Also, it's quite a popular subject at the moment.
 Steve nevers 06 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver: So regardless of our views, what our views?

Bit of an odd question.
 Choss 06 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:
> Regardless of your view, should we be given a vote on membership, on the basis that were a democracy and the Eu greatly influences us? Also, it's quite a popular subject at the moment.

Only if we get an Independence vote for Wessex.

Ps. Were not a democracy, we have a system of parliamentary dictatorship.
 Steve John B 06 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:
> (In reply to Oliiver)
> [...]
>
> Only if we get an Independence vote for Wessex.
>

I quite like that idea. Where would the borders be?
 Choss 06 Nov 2013
In reply to Steve John B:

Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire, BANES, Gloucestershire. About sums it up. Bristol as capital Natch.
 dr_botnik 06 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver: How about a vote on the transatlantic trade deal? http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/04/us-trade-deal-full-fro...

It's like the EU for multi-national corporations, but probably as opaque as a FISA court for the average consumer.

Basically, businesses can sue the Govmnt for regulating practices that harm their competitiveness. And a small secretive court can decide whether the Govmnt (aka the people) get sued by big businesses. Examples of this include a Canadian firm suing a Southern American country (possibly Argentina, can't remember) for imposing environmental regs on a poisionous gold mine. And a tabacco company suing Australia over intellectual property rights when they introduced the white packaging.

Truly scary implications, also, starts to shed light on a lot of Cameron's weird u-turns, such as backing down to the tobacco industry over all-white packaging. He's probably on first name terms with alot of the business owners that will benefit from this.
 GrahamD 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

Is there really any point in having a vote without at least some attempt to explain to people what the vote is about ? Right now it would be like asking for a vote on whether a BC109 or a 2N2926 transistor will work better in my amplifier.
 Trangia 07 Nov 2013
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Oliiver)
>
> Is there really any point in having a vote without at least some attempt to explain to people what the vote is about ? Right now it would be like asking for a vote on whether a BC109 or a 2N2926 transistor will work better in my amplifier.

Excellent analogy.
 Jim Fraser 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

In 1970 we, well, many of us, voted for a Conservative government and Ted Heath became Prime Minister. Ted and his mates were a reasonably responsible bunch of folks, which one might like to think is why people voted for them, and they wanted British to have a secure future, underpinned by sound trading partnerships and unified legal frameworks that promote prosperity. For this purpose, they took us into what has become the European Union.

In 2010, we again voted for a government, some of whom fly the same flag as Ted. They too think that Britain's future is more secure and prosperous in the European Union.

That's fine.

The only reason it might not be fine is if we think we have voted for people who are not responsible or politically able.

Did you do that? I didn't do that.
 Sir Chasm 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Jim Fraser: The government only took us in after a referendum though, didn't they?
 David Riley 07 Nov 2013
In reply to GrahamD: 2N2926. Gosh, long ago.
 hokkyokusei 07 Nov 2013
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Oliiver)
>
> Is there really any point in having a vote without at least some attempt to explain to people what the vote is about ? Right now it would be like asking for a vote on whether a BC109 or a 2N2926 transistor will work better in my amplifier.

True. In fact the Elecotral Commission discovered that many people don't even know that we are in the EU:

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/journalist/electoral-commissio...

Sir Chasm 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Jim Fraser: I stand corrected, the Tories took us in sans referendum and then Labour tried to get us out using a referendum.
 David Riley 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

Yes we should vote on it as part of every election.
Politicians are biased towards bigger government and should not be trusted to decide.
BC109.
 Philip 07 Nov 2013
BC109

No, there shouldn't be a vote. Nor should there be one on bringing back hanging. Something need to be decided by a well-educated and elected parliament.

Regarding the above, yes they should all be hung so we can elect a new lot.
 Bruce Hooker 07 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

There's already been a vote - it was the last time I was able to vote in Britain. I voted against which is ironical as not long after I moved to France and have been a resident there ever since.

So you've had your chance, too late now I suppose there could be a vote to allow a government elected on such a mandate to take Britain out of the EU but if you want one you'll just have to vote for a party that proposes such a decision... There is one so life is simple for once.

I won't hold my breath waiting for this to happen though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...