/ Wanted: Sleeping bag suitable for biviing in in scottish winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
RossPencovich - on 06 Nov 2013 - user since 30/Apr/13
Looking for a sleeping bag suitable for biviing in in scottish winter. I also need a good mat too.

If you have anything please let me know

Thanks
Gazlynn - on 07 Nov 2013
In reply to RossPencovich:

Hi I have an as new Rab summit 700 I could part with.
I have sent you an email.

cheers

Gaz
flyboy86 - on 07 Nov 2013

Assuming you're not a sensitive soul, you can get decent ex army ones for about 30 squid on eBay..
RossPencovich - on 07 Nov 2013
In reply to RossPencovich: Even some recommendation of sleeping bags/ mats would be really helpful.

thanks,
Ross
gethin_allen on 07 Nov 2013
> (In reply to RossPencovich) Even some recommendation of sleeping bags/ mats would be really helpful.
I'd probably avoid using down for bivying unless it's just for the one night and you have some good shelter or the weather is amazing.
A mountain hardware lamina 0 would probably do the job very nicely and although it's a bit big and heavy being synthetic it will be warm when wet.
Saying this, I've not used any of the new hydrophobic coated down product.
sbc_10 - on 07 Nov 2013
In reply to gethin_allen:

> A mountain hardware lamina 0 would probably do the job very nicely ...

and there were some at a very nice price on sportpursuit.com
csw on 07 Nov 2013

A lot gets said about down vs synthetic and their performance in the wet, but all sleeping bags are sh!te when wet. It's a mistake to think that you can get a synthetic bag wet with impunity
In reply to csw: I disagree. There are degrees of shitness. A wet down bag will be cold. A wet synthetic bag will not be as cold. (Assuming the same amount of wetness). I[ve spent a fair bit of time in wet conditions, a synthietic bag beats a down bag.
csw on 08 Nov 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

I guess this is the point where we respectfully agree to disagree. I've also spent a great deal of time bivouacking in wet conditions, although I've only ever owned one synthetic bag. My experience is that that you can keep a down bag dry [enough] in most conditions, and in the conditions that you can't, a synthetic bag would be overwhelmed too. As we both know there's no perfect bag, and preference is all down to what compromises a person is happiest with. For me the lightness and warmth of down is worth the extra care needed to keep it dry - especially since I'd be taking the same care if I was using a synthetic bag.
ads.ukclimbing.com
NottsRich on 08 Nov 2013
A down bag usually packs down smaller and lighter compared to a synthetic bag with a similar temperature rating. This is the reason I like down.

If it's wet/damp then a lightweight bivvy bag will keep the down dry, as long as it is breathable. Don't use a plastic bag!

As for sleeping mats, I think it's fairly popular to use a thin foam mat on the snow, then an inflatable mat (thermarest style) on top as extra warmth. Personally I don't bother as that's a lot of pack space, and just use a foam mat like the Z-lite which I strap to the outside of my pack.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.