UKC

Sentiment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 08 Nov 2013
Today's pondering is about sentiment and its purpose.

Why do we feel sentimental about what are often pretty arbitrary objects? Why do some people hang on to everything, whilst others can happily live out of a rucksack - but those latter people might still hang on to some small item that's seemingly meaningless?

Thoughts prompted by us (finally, after two years in this house) installing wardrobes - I'm having a clearout as I hang things, and there's one dress I'm reluctant to send to charity but which doesn't fit me any more. It's a dress I made for my graduation ball, that I'm very unlikely to ever wear again, but something seems to be stopping me from discarding it as freely as other worn-out clothes.

Any answers?
 Ava Adore 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I had a nightmare the other night that my house was on fire. However, with typical dreamland logic, it was contained behind a door to my cellar (which I don't have) thus giving me a bit of time to collect my valuables.

The first thing (in my dream) I went for was a wooden cigarette box that used to belong to my mum. After that, I decided I would take all my running gear with me.

Clearly I don't have much sentimental attachment to stuff
 Little Brew 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: You have memories that that dress invokes, same as i get from some of my event polo shirts, i guess it i s the same as a photograph.

others are more attached to material things, some just keep the memory. my memory is shocking so i need the material item to provide the jolt.

oh and i am a hoarder!
 Yanis Nayu 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Maybe it doesn't have a purpose; it's just one of the things that make us human.

What's the difference between sentiment and nostalgia?
 Andy Hardy 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> [...]
> What's the difference between sentiment and nostalgia?

Sentiment isn't what it used to be, when I was a lad...

<coat>
 Yanis Nayu 08 Nov 2013
In reply to 999thAndy:
> (In reply to Submit to Gravity)
> [...]
>
> Sentiment isn't what it used to be, when I was a lad...
>
>
> <coat>

High five!
 tlm 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I remember reading something once, where they talked about if people lost their wedding ring and were given an identical replacement, they just wouldn't feel the same about it.

I think feelings are pretty important, so it's good to hang on to some bits and bobs (as long as it isn't too many!). However, I've moved so many times, that I've discarded most of my things over time and have realised that it usually makes very little difference to me - I usually forget I ever even had the item!
OP Tall Clare 08 Nov 2013
In reply to tlm:

I think there's definitely something in how often you move house - the people I know who move a lot, don't accumulate loads of unnecessary gubbins. A move-resistant person like me, however...
 teflonpete 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I've got a few things. I ride my motorbike so little it's noy worth keeping it, but I can't bear to get rid of it. It reminds me of my dad, mates I've lost that I used to ride with, and happy times from when the kids were little.
Another thing is my daughter's footprints in paint in a simple frame from when she was 2 months old. Every time I look at them I remember the kids when they were little babies and toddlers.
Other than that it's mostly photos that provoke memories. Some are in albums, some on the laptop and some prints in packets that only see the light of day once every 7 or 8 years but I couldn't bear to part with them as they're all photos of friends, family and happy times.
Most of the other stuff is completely disposable.
Oliiver 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Clare, do you not have a job? I thought as you're a women and quite modern, you'd be in full time work, bossing men around.
In reply to Oliiver:

Good grief.

I'm a freelancer so I can work flexibly.
 Yanis Nayu 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Freelance dominatrix?
 teflonpete 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Oliiver)
>
> Good grief.
>
> I'm a freelancer so I can work flexibly.

You should be using your flexible spare time to iron your husband's clothes and prepare a nice dinner for when he gets home.

In Oliver World. ;0)

Yes, that's right, if being a dominatrix includes lots of writing and extensive use of Track Changes...

It's like punishment through words or something.
 Jon Stewart 08 Nov 2013
> (In reply to Tall Clare) Maybe it doesn't have a purpose; it's just one of the things that make us human.

Further evidence then that I am not human. I don't hoard any pointless sentimental crap. If it isn't useful, it goes in a skip.
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I did get rid of a lot of stuff at the point when I realised I was unlikely to have children of my own to hand it on to/dump it on.
Oliiver 08 Nov 2013
In reply to teflonpete: hey there's nothing like productivity
 girlymonkey 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: surely your attachment to the dress is to do with the fact you made it? Its quite a big job to make a dress, so it would feel like you have thrown away all that time as effort?
In reply to girlymonkey:

No, there must be more to it than that - I've made a lot of dresses over the years. This one is like a corduroy fairy princess tutu...
 Chambers 08 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: The only thing that I've owned for more than two years is my Fender electro-acoustic guitar. I've had it fifteen years now but it's looking as old and battered as I do. If my guitar could speak and it asked you how old you thought it was you'd say 'fifty?'. And my guitar would say 'Nah, I'm only fifteen and a half, but I've been hanging out with Chambers and it's aged me prematurely!'

Am I sentimentally attached to it? Not in the least. I don't do sentiment.
 Alyson 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: I don't know what purpose sentiment serves but when it strikes, it feels like throwing out an object would be discarding a memory. Most of us probably do it to some degree but in my experience the people who hang onto everything also live in the past. They use objects as comfort blankets but eventually they get weighed down by them.

Personally I tend to keep bits of crap from my travels - ski passes, entrance tickets to places I visited, receipts from cafes - and stick them in my journal amongst my thoughts.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...