UKC

SCNL today (Friday)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 08 Nov 2013
Took a trudge up to SCNL today to see what was going on.

Answer? Nothing!!

Heavy rain up to the 600m level.
Heavy wet hail up to about 700m level.
After that, went though 2 inches of wet hail, 6 inches of wet snow, and then made it into the coire to about 12-18 inches fresh wet snow. Lots of debris at bottom of all main gullies, but mostly from sloughs picking up more wet snow and multiplying. Some 1m high snow wheels down in the bottom of the coire!!
Took 40 minutes to get from "Gearing up Rock" to the bottom of North Gully, up to waist deep wet snow in places. Pretty torturous going, full depth steps every time. Tried to get "something" done over on Pinnacle area, but backed off quickly when it became evident things are just far too soft/wet/unstable/unfrozen.

So, only made it to about 950m, but so far:

Cornices building on the west side of the coire.

No ice to be seen anywhere.

No turf freezing up at all.

Only a little rime building near the very top of the cliffs.

Far be it from me to suggest what people do/don't do, but I wouldn't even consider thinking about climbing in SCNL until there's been a couple days of much lower temperatures (unlikely looking at the forecast!!).

Some photos here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151967121530865.1073741842.7386...

Lots and lots of hail showers on the west coast at the moment too, could make for an interesting snowpack should things keep building.

Off the Cairngorms for me now, see if I fare better over there!!

Cheers,
Gordon
 NottsRich 08 Nov 2013
In reply to peebles boy: Thanks for the update.
 xplorer 08 Nov 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

This week I will be mostly eating........ RIME!
 Jamie B 09 Nov 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

No surprises there - you definitely don't want to go climbing on the "Hurt Lochain" until the blocks are frozen in!
 Burnsie 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Jamie B:
Stob corrie nan Looseblock ?.
 TheseKnivesMan 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Jamie B:

>"Hurt Lochain"

Beautiful.

RE: OP, I don't think many people were expecting gullies full of bomber neve or rock solid turf, but such a heavy dump is always a good base for the season, at least that's what I'm excited about.
 Mr E 09 Nov 2013
In reply to peebles boy: nice report, hope you put up a report on the Cairngorms too.
OP peebles boy 10 Nov 2013
In reply to TheseKnivesMan:

Don't think so, no!! If only though....
 TheseKnivesMan 10 Nov 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

Ooft you're telling me. Freeze thaws + more dumps forecast, could be good for all you Ice warriors! I'm just a bumbly so I get it a bit easier conditions wise so slong as I stay away from those loaded-gun gullies for the next wee whiley.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...