UKC

Winter wlaking is on (Sharp Edge in the snow if anyone cares)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wesley Orvis 09 Nov 2013
Sharp Edge was in full winter glory today, certainly felt like full winter conditions with the whiteout and fresh snow falling, my mate didn't bother with his axe and crampons as he said the snow would be so soft there would be no need, he had an epic for sure. Was actually heading out west for a walk but when we saw Blencathra and Skiddaw from the A591 with a good covering down to about 500m while the rest of the Lakes only had a light dusting our choice was changed.

Was snowing down to about 100m when we left Scales.

Hopefully this is the beginning of a good winter in the Lakes.
 Exile 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Wesley Orvis:

Nice one, winter begins - 9.11.13!
 xplorer 09 Nov 2013

any news on helvellyn
 Carolyn 09 Nov 2013

Yes, definitely looked like Blencathra had the most snow, and now it's cleared and looks like a cold night, should be good....
 chris p duck 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Wesley Orvis: Excellent probably best to leave the gear at home for this one....more of a challenge
OP Wesley Orvis 09 Nov 2013

Going to give Striding Edge/Swirral or Whiteside round to Grasmoor a shot tomorrow so will let you know if i do the edges, but to be honest the eastern fells did not appear to have half as much snow compared to the fells north of the A66. Met two lads heading off up Blencathra behind Scales pub and when i asked them what they were doing they thought they were going up Helvellyn.
charlie out 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Wesley Orvis: Nice one Wesley, thought you'd be out. Snow just capping CatstyCam, went for a walk with our little boy, Didn't get to |Red Tarn to see the edges, but no doubt they'll be a good white covering on them. It was snowing on and off as we walked up the path to Red Tarn from Helvellyn YHA.
charlie out 09 Nov 2013
In reply to Wesley Orvis: Might see you up there tomorrow with Nic
 Gael Force 10 Nov 2013
In reply to charlie out: I took the dog around Striding edge and swirral this afternoon, snow from below red tarn but only about a couple of inches. Amazingly two people were trying to ski on the top between the rocks, Dynafit users of course.
A few people with no crampons performing acrobatics between the rocks trying not to fall to their doom.
Oliiver 10 Nov 2013
In reply to Gael Force: any pics?
 Gael Force 11 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver: No I forgot my camera, unfortunately as it was a stunning day. if your trying to judge conditions there are none, the turf was soggy, and there was really only a couple of inches of snow with no build up whatsoever in the gullies.
OP Wesley Orvis 11 Nov 2013
Went up Skiddaw via Lonscale Fell on Sunday and did a few of the Wainright's behind it that i still needed to do, some really good snow at the back o Skiddaw right down all the way to close to Skiddaw House, it has a nice crispy feel to it too and the summit turf was frozen on Skiddaw, but there is very little snow in the Lakes south of the A66 and Swirral Edges looked pretty bare by sunset from Skiddaw.
OP Wesley Orvis 11 Nov 2013
In reply to charlie out:
> (In reply to Wesley Orvis) Might see you up there tomorrow with Nic

Did you go over the edges yesterday Charlie?

OllieF 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver: I have a couple of photos of Sharp Edge and also the view from the summit on the 10th, If you like I'll put up!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...