UKC

Which avalanche transceiver?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MikeR 09 Nov 2013
Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting an avalanche transceiver for christmas this year, but don't really know which one to get. It'll be mainly used for ski touring around Scotland if that makes any difference.
Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Mike
 HeMa 09 Nov 2013
In reply to MikeR:

Doesn't really matter that much, as long it is a modern model. So what ever you get, learn to use it and practice often.

I would prolly only dhun away from Pieps Freeride, which is mostly aimed at lift served action.
 DaveHK 09 Nov 2013
In reply to MikeR:

Massive thread on this last winter. Try a search.
 alasdair19 11 Nov 2013
In reply to MikeR: I like My bca tracker nice and simple...most modern ones are good, v good compared with the old analogue ones.
 Blinder 11 Nov 2013
In reply to alasdair19: just make sure it has 3 antenna and you know how to use it. I rate the Pulse, for what is worth. However other such as the Tracker 2 are good ( very simple to use).
 d_b 11 Nov 2013
In reply to MikeR:

I picked up a barryvox element last year, and in practice have found it excellent. Easy to use and accurate.

Carolyn 11 Nov 2013
In reply to MikeR:

Yes, as said - a modern digital one, with 3 aerials. Beyind that, it's probably down to personal preferance....
 d_b 11 Nov 2013
In reply to MikeR:

http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/ is the mother lode of reviews.

Given that you want a 3 antenna model, the most important thing is ergonomics imho. You want something you will be able to use under extremely stressful conditions without needing to remember any fiddly button combinations, counting to 3 etc.
OP MikeR 11 Nov 2013
In reply to MikeR: Thanks for all the replies. Sorry for the slow response, been out climbing for a change!

I like the look of the BCA Tracker2 and the Mammut Elemental Barryvox, probably erring towards the latter. But whichever I get I'll get plenty of practice.

Cheers,

Mike
 AdrianC 11 Nov 2013
In reply to MikeR: They're good choices. As others have said, you want one of the modern 3-aerial units but within that I'd say don't go for something more complex than necessary. The top-of-the-range units like the Pulse and Pieps DSP have functions for dealing with multiple burial scenarios that you're very unlikely to need. It's more buttons and more to learn and practice so the simpler units that you've mentioned are a better bet for most ski-tourers.
 Carless 11 Nov 2013
In reply to AdrianC:

Some truth in that, but the Pulse for example is very easy to learn & use for multiple burials
It's also impressively fast - we were mucking about in one of the test fields last season: me with a Pulse, others with variously 2 aerial, analogue etc

Took me 8 minutes to locate 4 burials, next best was 12 minutes and the guy with the analogue - not a hope
 AdrianC 11 Nov 2013
In reply to Carless: Ha ha! Hello from along the road in Hasselt!

Interestingly the Pulse was used to post the best and most of the worst times in the transceiver test (4 targets) on a course I did a couple of months back. It definitely has some habits that caused people confusion but once you're on top of those they're great.

I guess my point was that multiple burial scenarios, whilst not unheard-of, are rare and for many people a simple unit like the Tracker or Pieps DSP Tour just has less things to learn about and try to remember when the pressure is on.
 daWalt 11 Nov 2013
In reply to MikeR:
good info form facewest:
http://www.facewest.co.uk/Facewest-Transceiver-Review-2011.html
worth reading up on background info.
fwiw; there's f*ckall wrong with 2 antenae tranceivers.

whatever you get; know how it works and actually practice, more than just once.......
 Carless 11 Nov 2013
In reply to AdrianC:

Never been to Hasselt - must be further than I thought if it's near Wanaka

Have you climbed on the Nideggen crags? I've not been yet, but they look worth a trip

See you at Freyr sometime

Agree that multiple burials are luckily rare
 london_huddy 11 Nov 2013
In reply to MikeR:

I found the pulse to be easiest to use when tired and stressed (bag searches against the clock in the dark out the back of our chalet). Tested against a tracker 2 and older beepers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...