UKC

Calf Strain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SouthernSteve 10 Nov 2013
Pulled my calf this evening out running - seems quite sore. Any advice from the knowledgeable UKC. I am writing with an ice pack strapped to the area.

TIA Steve
In reply to SouthernSteve: watching this thread with interest as mine are also sire after a couple of long runs this weekend. Happy to see tips on stretching too.
 StefanB 10 Nov 2013
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Rest, no stretching, if no improvement see a professional (physio)
 JamButty 10 Nov 2013
In reply to SouthernSteve: Feel for you mate, I've been off running for 6 weeks after a combination of injuries in my leg latest being calf strain. Usual RICE and some heat after 24hrs, light stretching, then physio!
but what do I know, mine's not better yet .

good luck

rmt 11 Nov 2013
In reply to SouthernSteve: I suffered with calf strains for a while running. Every time I tried to increase the speed a bit I would strain a calf. After a long rest period I ended up increasing my cadence significantly (from around 80 to around 95) and this has totally transformed my injury issues.
Moley 12 Nov 2013
Spend some cash on a sports injury physio, safe you a lot of grief in the long run. You will also have a better idea of what to do next time the same injury occurs.

I tore my soleus muscle few years ago. Standard physio for most calf injuries is rest for at least 10 days - 2 weeks. This is hard as you will have to put weight on it.

Wear a calf support.

Start rehab exercises - eccentric calf raises on a step (extended range of motion 1 sec up 3sec down) which are something like this:-

youtube.com/watch?v=gEgx0qJp3HM&

15 reps x 3 at least 3 times a week building up to sets of 60 reps

Give this about 5-6 weeks before you start running again.

I foam rolled my calves for about 10 mins 3 x a week. I do this after every running session now.

To maintain add calf exercises to your weekly regime.

Hope this helps.
 Skol 04 Dec 2013

Too soon for strengthening if it's a calf strain.
RICE and stretching by using your shin muscles to pull your foot towards you until you feel a stretch , but short of pain, otherwise you risk more damage. Hold stretches for 30 secs and do 3 , several times a day. Don't use a strap to pull the stretch.
Eccentric exs are a bad idea, as this is probably not Achilles tendonosis from what you describe.
Best to see any physio and follow their rehab plan. Going back to activity too soon will lead to a longer lay off.
NSAIDS can be useful if you know you're safe to use them.
altirando 04 Dec 2013

Definitely a calf support, especially if you want to keep exercising, as I have found myself. Specifically a McDavid short support, got mine from the Physio Room. Just a lightly compressing sleeve but it has made it possible to keep going with normal activity. Had to buy as a pair though but well worth it.
Ste Brom 05 Dec 2013

Periodic calf strains seem to ceased due to a mild foam rolling session before and after going out.
In reply to Skol:

Why are eccentric exercises a bad idea after 2 weeks? They are basically a stretch anyway. I've spoken to a number of athletes and their various calf strains tears and Achilles problems and they all got the same advice with variations on strapping, support and resistance. All seemed to recover but they were all similar rehab routines.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...