UKC

scrambling around Tafraout

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Currently on the way down to Morocco, originally with the intention of doing some multipitch classics en famille. However, other half unable and although I'll be scouting around for partners down there, would still like to do something other than single pitch with the kids. There must be some quality scrambling in the area, so was wondering if anybody had any good suggestions. No probs up to about V Diff (kids too small to belay me, and need a big comfort zone to avoid breaking them), so long routes with short sections of climbing would be fine. Kids sturdy and well used to this kind of stuff; eldest even up for a bivy (in the campervan so bringing cold weather gear also).

Any genius ideas for relatively non-technical days out?
Miranda 11 Nov 2013
In reply to maisie: Towering behind Tafraoute is a rocky horseshoe of hills, very obvious from the town and which are ideal for broad ridge walking with scrambly bits at around grade 1. The main horseshoe rises above the Hotel Les Amandieres and if you start at the hotel and go anti-clockwise round the ridge and finish near the town that should take about 5 hours or so, but the route can also be shortened as there are places to escape off.
In reply to maisie:
Bad news about the other half. We've spent many trips there with the kids, but they are not old enough to climb yet, so tend to mess about on the rocks whilst we play! Here's a few ideas:
- Jebel el Kest is a brilliant scramble. South Ridge is about Grade III, with incredible mountain views. Can be accessed by a 2 hour walk, or via the Angel's Crest (V.Diff), or via SW Ridge (V.Diff if you avoid the first pitch) then Angel's Crest. We did the SW Ridge, Angel's Crest, then S Ridge in 8 hours, with nothing above about V.Diff.
- Adrar Idekel has a superb (shortish) grade II scramble up to a nice summit. Definitely recommend this for a fairly gentle day. The kids might enjoy exploring the abandoned cobalt mine on the descent as well.
- There's a big long scramble up Afantinzar Peak that is easily solo-able, though it's a proper mountain day out and the kids will need to be able to look after themselves on the way down.
- Some low grade routes on Adrar Umlil that are definitely climbing rather than scrambling, but not totally unreasonable to solo and bring the kids up. (Hissing Sid's Staircase springs to mind)
- The South Ridge on Igiliz might be worth a look - a short section of climbing then lots of fun Diff stuff up to a summit... beware the descent again though, which might need an abseil.
- There's an easy scramble up Adrar Imtwan, that gives good views and has nothing technical at all, is escapable at any point, and an easy descent.
- A bouldering circuit (up to Font 5+) can sometimes provide a fun child-friendly day.
- My wife enjoyed soloing Great Slab at Crag N, but I haven't done it myself.
Feel free to drop me an email if you're interested in more specifics - Obviously what's appropriate depends a lot on the kids!
Some mountain-route recommendations at this link, though most of these are definitely proper climbs:
http://www.climb-tafraout.com/mountain-routes
In reply to Steve Broadbent:

Utterly superlative answer there, Steve. Sorry about the delay in replying - just been offline wild camping around San Bartolo near Tarifa; should be hopping over to Morocco within the next few days.

Had already pored over the website - really excellent by the way - and had seen the mountain routes article (and downloaded the route cards for wild country et al).

The kids are pretty robust - waltzed up to Annapurna Base Camp last Easter - and the eldest just tiptoed up a horrid 6b slab that I skated around on. Unfortunately, she's far too small to belay me, or we could attack some of the classics.

As it is, between some single pitch stuff, the possibility of hooking up with a partner for a couple of days and all the stuff you've laid out, our planned week or so might turn into a fortnight or more. Shame.....

Can't thank you enough.
In reply to Miranda:

Excellent. That sounds like a perfect first day out for us - by the time we've crawled down there in the van, it'll be just the thing to blow the cobwebs off.

Thanks a lot, Miranda

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...