UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Cassin Blade Runner Crampon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 11 Nov 2013
Cassin Blade Runner Crampon , 4 kb

The Blade Runner represents a new era in technical ice crampons. A wealth of innovative features combine to create a crampon that conforms to the ergonomics of modern boots, increases rigidity along the entire length of the crampon without decreasing dexterity or compromising fit, adapts to alpine conditions with a variety of front points and toe bail configurations, and naturally reduces balling with its inverted V-shaped front platform. The patented heel slide integrates the linking bar with the heel piece for better torsional rigidity.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=5876
ice.solo 11 Nov 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

saw these the other day. look like petzls on steroids. quite heavy, but maybe with the super-duty snow plates stripped they be more normal.

love to give em a go, but round here theyre $300 a set...

anyone know what theyre selling for in the UK/europe?
 cliff shasby 11 Nov 2013
In reply to ice.solo: facewest price them at £250,makes the lynx look cheap..!
Hi,

Italy's RRP is €219 (give or take...). They're entirely manufactured in Italy (high labour cost) so I would think the RRP to be lowest in Italy although this is not always the case for made in Italy goods. However, it's a top-of-the-range and recognised (Outdoor 2013 Industry Award) top-of-its-class crampon. I would be surprised to see any large discount at this time of the year. They do look and feel very aggressive, robust and versatile and they're finished with extreme attention to detail. Obviously only time will tell. I agree they go head-to-head with the Lynx. For this reason I wouldn't say the weight is they're weakest point. They're marginally lighter than the Lynx in fact (65 g lighter). Usually all crampons' weakest point is their actual robustness. In the hands of hard crankers crampons and ice axes take an incredible amount of abuse in the toughest conditions. These things are aimed at hard crankers and I can't wait to read some proper field reports.

Nic
 ColdWill 12 Nov 2013
In reply to UKC Gear: I'm not so sure how well these will do. I have different crampons for different jobs, G20's for "hard cranking", Petzl Vasak for mountaineering, generally the lightest I can get that will do the the job. I have Lynx but hardly use them, it would be the same for these.
T_Mac 06 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

Tiso Ratho have these in stock. They look pretty amazing tbh.
 Tim Sparrow 06 Dec 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

Design excellent. Price shocking.
 Kai 11 Dec 2013
In reply to T_Mac:

I took my boots (Scarpa Rebel Ultras) in to a shop to check fit. The points on the crampons stood out way too long when mounted on my boots. There are three adjustment positions for the toe bail, so you can adjust the length somewhat, but even mounted all the way forward, the points were a bit too long.

They look like good crampons. Sad they didn't fit my boots.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...