UKC

40 something aches and pains.... is it just me ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paul walters 11 Nov 2013
Been thinking about my training objectives for the next 12 months, and how best to manage them..... started running and cycling a bit more but have now run into a wall..... I am plagued with aches and pains..... is it just me? I'm 46 in a few weeks, and from the bottom, have:-

high blood pressure (daily meds)
athletes foot (creams and sprays)
sore knees from my 18 mile bike ride (allied with shin splints every time I run)
colonic spasms from IBS (peppermint oil tablets)
excema spots on my torso and around my eyes (steroid cream)
trapped nerve in my shoulder (weekly physio sessions)
post nasal drip (nasal spray)
dry eye (drops)

Is this normal for someone my age ? Both my parents died young, but I don't drink a lot, I've never smoked, and I like to think that I am a lot fitter than they were at this age.
Any thoughts anyone ?

Paul
 ByEek 11 Nov 2013
In reply to paul walters: Crumbs. With a list that long I would give up an lie down till it is all over if I were you!

You are only as old as you feel although Ranulph Fiennes notes several times in his autobiographies that he believes one has to train twice as hard each year you grow older in order to maintain the same level of fitness... once you have hit a certain age that is.

Maybe you're just not fit lad!
ice.solo 11 Nov 2013
In reply to paul walters:

when was the last time you were condition free?
 Choss 11 Nov 2013

Sounds Pretty Standard for mid 40s.

If youre not plagued with aches pains and Twinges, youve not Lived your youth hard enough.

Have you started Groaning when you get in and out of cars yet?
OP paul walters 11 Nov 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
Difficult to know. I've had IBS for a dozen years or so on and off. The trapped nerve is a new one though - about 5 weeks, but I've had similar arm/hand pain in the past dozen years too. Excema is totally new. Had that for about 3 months now. Never before. Ditto Post Nasal Drip and Dry Eye. All within the past 12 months or so. It bothers me that the more I try and train (and believe me I start slowly), I develop a plethora of minor ailments that make it even more of a challenge. Not sure if I should just head to the docs and say "sort me out". I'm booked on a trip to Mont Blanc for Aug 14, and had planned to use it as incentive to train.
 tmawer 11 Nov 2013

Perhaps this is about your focus of attention? If I think about things I could probably also write a list of, fortunately mostly minor, ailments aches and pains, but I try to ignore them, take ibuprofen, and plod on!
It would be quite easy to become somewhat depressed focussing on the negatives of getting older
 teflonpete 11 Nov 2013

I creak and get back pain when I walk, kayak, climb, stand still or lie down. Can't kneel for more than a few minutes at a time. Tendonitis in my right shoulder (still flares up from when I was 15).
I find I'm normally ok on the day I'm doing some hard exercise but ache for a couple of days after that. 46 next week. I'm fitter than my dad was at 46 but I know quite a few people in their late 50s / early 60s fitter than me.
cb294 11 Nov 2013

My list is of similar length, but different items.

I share the knee trouble (age related wear and tear), and the nerve problem in the shoulder (we are evolved to wrestle cave bears, not computer mice).

More sports should help,

CB
Wiley Coyote2 11 Nov 2013

Conversation at wall earlier this year.
Team youngster ,(58) I woke up this morning and my shoulder really hurt
Team oldster (65) What? Just your shoulder?
I'm 61 and the morning aches and pains are my best guage that I've not died in my sleep.
OP paul walters 11 Nov 2013
In reply to paul walters: TFFT... it's not just me ! I don't focus on it particularly, just came to mind when I was lying in bed this morning wondering just how I was going to get up
 Tall Clare 11 Nov 2013

With the IBS, have you checked that it's not something like gluten intolerance? It might be 'easily' cured.
 rallymania 11 Nov 2013

have a few aches like most folk in their 40's i guess

hips, knees, shoulders, lower back, fingers can all be "stiff" at any given point

one thing i have noticed when i change my routine though, is it takes my body a few weeks with proper food and proper rest before my body adapts to the new routine. when i was 20 i'd just pile on the extra work and that'd be it
 Jim Fraser 11 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:
> (In reply to paul walters)
>
> Sounds Pretty Standard for mid 40s.

Really? You must all be eating sh1te, smoking, and driving to work. 58 and not a pill in sight for months at a time. Been on the high-brufen diet a few times though! Eat what my ancestors ate, cycle to work, stretching exercises for flexibility, and always run up the stairs. Works for me.

> If you're not plagued with aches pains and Twinges, youve not Lived your youth hard enough.

I think I passed through that phase when I was 13.
 buzby 11 Nov 2013
In reply to paul walters: Christ im nearly 50 and I was becoming a bit depressed about pains in my feet after a long day in the hills and my back getting a bit stiff but that list puts it in perspective.
 mrchewy 11 Nov 2013
In reply to paul walters: I'm same as I ever was - generally carrying an injury of some sort. Some have been major and have left their mark bur in general age isn't really a barrier.

High blood pressure? Get fitter
Athlete's foot? Don't wear steel toecaps
Sore knees? Man up
Colonic spasms? I feel for you
Excema spots? Not exactly stopping you from doing stuff is it
Trapped nerve? It will sort
Eyes and nose? Most people have allergies or hayfever

I know that sounds harsh but it's not meant to be. It's all about the half full or empty mentality. My first thoughts were - is that all that's wrong with him? I ran a 69 mile ultra last year, my first race at the age of 46 despite many knee ops and other trauma. I've had acromegaly, numerous broken bones, tears, eye issues and ops in my forties and I'm pretty fit, as fit as I've ever been in many ways. I did my first adventure race too, 46 was a cracking year as it happened.

Just set a mad goal and go for it - you'd be surprised how much you can achieve at 46.

Stretching helps massively.
 kipper12 11 Nov 2013
In reply to Jim Fraser: eat what your ancestors ate, have Tesco started selling frozen Mamoth yet!
 hokkyokusei 11 Nov 2013

One leg longer than the other from a childhood accident
High cholestrol.
10% chance of a fatal heart attack in the next ten years (my brother died at 39).
Osteo Arthritis.
Meniscus tear in the knee.
IBS (isolated it to uncooked peppers, so mostly under control).
Trapped nerve in my neck that makes my shoulders ache, arms and fingers twitch.
Bad skin.

Swap ya?
 goosebump 11 Nov 2013

Just a thought (with usual Im no medical expert caveat) the IBS, eczema nose and eye ailments are the sort of things that can be down to allergies or intolerances and/or made worse by stress.

Worth considering perhaps, if life has been different for you of late?
 thermal_t 11 Nov 2013
In reply to hokkyokusei: I'm 29 and my knees are shot to bits, can't have a knee arthroscopy apparently as there isn't enough cartiledge left I'm all good though as long as I remember that high impact sports aren't my thing anymore. A good bouldering trip leaves me in tatters.....but it's worth it!
 marsbar 11 Nov 2013
In reply to paul walters: I wonder if you are stressed out at work? IBS high blood pressure execema and fungal infections are all things that can be stress related.
llechwedd 11 Nov 2013
Hi Paul
looking at your profile ( and I may be wrong, maybe it hasn't been updated?) - "too many things to do... getting into mountaineering... would like to climb Mt Blanc/Toukbhal".

The effects of sporadic exercise on an sporadically exercised body?
Maybe a perfectionist personality- going for the big ticks on the list?
Middle aged - aware of your own mortality and morbidity?

Yes, I'm all those things as well.
I struggle with debilitating insomnia and neck pain and have also been carrying the diagnosis of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for a few years now.

I think that when I hit middle age/ relatively sedentary, the need to 'think canny' about activities became more pressing. Not quite reduce/reuse/recycle but go lightweight/offload/ be realistic.

NWO resistance 11 Nov 2013
In reply to paul walters: Look into going on a wheat free diet, William Davis has got a really good youtube video, type in William Davis - Wheatlessness: A 21st Century Health Strategy, I tried to post the link but it is not working, he goes into the history of wheat and talks about a protein called gliadin that is in wheat that is an appetite stimulant and that modern wheat is nothing like the wheat from 50 or so years ago and consuming it can cause all kinds of health problems like arthritis, obesity, inflammatory problems and even heart disease. A friend of mine had been suffering with severe tendonitis every day for years and after 1 week of being wheat free his pain had gone completely. It's a really interesting video.
 Timmd 11 Nov 2013
In reply to kipper12:
> (In reply to Jim Fraser) eat what your ancestors ate, have Tesco started selling frozen Mamoth yet!

His more recent ones, perhaps?

My parents' parents ate meat and two veg, or rubbish like bread and dripping, or veg with the goodness boiled away in the case of my Scottish Grandma, with loads of salt. The fact none of them sat still probably helped them stay alive, from not having cars and walking or cycling most places...

A Mediterranean diet of seeds and nuts and pulses and oily fish and lots of greenery and lean meat etc is ment to be one the best for heart health and blood pressure I gather, with exercise and small amounts of red wine helping.

I found it interesting to watch a history programme from the Victorian age, where they ate the everyday foods from that time while living on a farm, and discovered they had cravings for really fatty foods after being outside all day burning energy. My Dad remembers a farming uncle eating the inch of fat which went around the piece of ham he ate as part of his lunch.

I suppose if you can't be active all the time (or even if you can) eat a Mediterranean diet? It's ment to help with your mood if nothing else to eat a Mediterranean diet.
 stp 11 Nov 2013

I don't know what 'normal' is but but in our society is hardly a paragon of health to use as benchmark to measure yourself by.

As we get older we inevitably accumulate more problems but I would say you've got far more than necessary.

I recommend that Horizon programme that someone else on here suggested:

Eat, Fast, and Live Longer

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms
 Bulls Crack 11 Nov 2013

Have you read Three Men in a Boat?
Maybe concentrate on longer and more regular sex sessions. Pilates is very good too.
 sbc_10 12 Nov 2013
In reply to I like climbing:

Ha!
Longer sex session..like that one.. Well Paul, ailments are one thing, they may correct themselves over time. But alas when I look in the mirror every morning I get that Shrek like feeling of boy, I'm not natures finest looking specimen. That will never change unless face transplants suddenly get affordable. So if you are a good looking handsome chap, then take solace from that.
BTW don't compare yourself with 20 year old E9 climbing supermodels, life is just not fair in that respect.

Chin(s) up.
 kevin stephens 12 Nov 2013
> sore knees from my 18 mile bike ride

Make sure your bike is set up properly, dont have seat too high (at the bottom of the pedal stroke your knees should be slightly bent with heel slightly down) if you use clipless pedals put the cleats as far back as they will go. learn to "spin" ie higher lower gear with more pedal rpm at the same speed.

cycle instead of run
 Yanis Nayu 12 Nov 2013
In reply to sbc_10: Yeah, you look like a cactus with a hard-on!
 Choss 12 Nov 2013

And Remember in your 40s a good beard can hide a multitude of chins.
 HammondR 12 Nov 2013

Some aches & pains appear to be inevitable after very hard work later in life. However, the list of ailments from which you suffer resemble the common health results of the standard western diet of excessive grains of all types [especially wheat], too much high carbohydrate / sugary food, & insufficient high quality fat & meat [dripping & lard!], leafy greens & berries. No doubt many will disagree.

As others have recommended previously on this forum, Mark's Daily Apple website is a goldmine for (free) information on eating & exercising for longterm health.

When young like you I was prone to constant illness & injury when I tried to up fitness levels. Not had a day sick in 5 years since following the Primal approach, & the strongest I have been in 20 years. Perhaps it's just a coincidence?
 Ciderslider 12 Nov 2013
In reply to paul walters: I'm useless at climbing, weak, old, chubby and at the grand old age of 52 realise that I'm never gonna climb E5 - oh, and I get a bit knackered after hard bouldering now.
We are all growing old mate (nothing you can do about that) you just have to work around age, injury etc - I think one of the main things is if you think old you'll get there quicker - just let that inner 18yr old run free
 Fraser 12 Nov 2013

Two words my friend: 'Soylent Green'.
 nniff 12 Nov 2013

Two left knee arthroscopies - thinking that maybe no more mountain marathons, but we'll see.

Periodic trapped nerve in left shoulder. Periodic similar in right that went away.

Assorted ITB and knee pains from running - not done that for a while since last arthroscopy though.

Streaming eyes and nose all summer unless I take fexophenadine.

Now it's wineter streaming nose from the cold - vaseline on nose and lips to stop them disintegrating.

Two permanently taped fingers for cragging.

One ankle with limited movement (dislocation)

Currently a sound back, but tat's a variable - cycling good's for that.

Overall, fitter than I've ever been really. If you cycle, Strava is your friend.

Sharp 12 Nov 2013
In reply to paul walters: there are some lucky people who are just fine whatever they do, there are some unlucky people who are disabled, everyone else falls in between. Among other more embarrassing things I've got:
1)elbow tendonitis in left elbow,
2)Goosed left knee,
3)lower back pain for years,
4)stiff neck,
5)rapidly deteriorating eyesight,
6)the sleeping skills of a toddler which disrupt normal life, sometimes a bit sometimes a lot,
7)bowel trouble if I eat wheat, which I do cause it's yummy
8)stiff hips/hands/feet,
9)incredible inflexibility and lack of joint mobility, verging on party trick status
10)reynauds syndrome which makes my hands into zombie hands every winter.

in reality these things aren't such a big deal compared to what some have to put up with and if all else fails my right knee and elbow are still fine so I can always hop to the toilet in the middle of the night with my gloves on and grab a slice of heavily buttered toast on the way up, plus I'm quite an accomplished smoker and drinker so I'll have things to occupy me in the rest home/hospital.

There's always trouble if you look for it, and no doubt if you spend your life chasing special diets and exercise regimes you'll probably lose some symptoms but they'll be on your mind a lot more. Take comfort in the fact that you don't live forever, pop some profenq and try to put niggles to the back of your mind, they'll all come to an end at once some day!
 sbc_10 12 Nov 2013
In reply to sbc_10:
> (In reply to sbc_10)....you look like a cactus with a hard-on!

There's another thing that may quite not be standing up to the test of time.
Number 11 on your list Mr Sharp.

tlm 12 Nov 2013
In reply to sbc_10:
> when I look in the mirror every morning I get that Shrek like feeling of boy, I'm not natures finest looking specimen.

Well - you are tall and green. But at least you are slimmer than Shrek, if a lot more PRICKly....
 Jim Fraser 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to kipper12)
> [...]
>
> His more recent ones, perhaps?

Oats and mackerel are regular features.
FrogOnTheTyne 12 Nov 2013

Confucius he say, man running for his life don't notice if his feet hurt. Confucius very wise frog.
 johncook 12 Nov 2013
In reply to paul walters: Most of this sounds like stress/allergy related stuff. Try dumping gluten for a month or so. If that fails to make a difference, dump something else you consume a lot of. And so on till you find the culprit.
Also look at your life and try to reduce stressful situations.
I am 64, and went through post viral fatigue syndrome (yuppie flue, chronic fatigue syndrome, or whatever they have decided to call it now.)Took several years to get up from that (6ft and 7 stone is not a good combination!)
About 5 years ago had all sorts of minor stuff wrong with me, itchy skin, dry eyes, blocked ears, athletes foot, assorted aches and pains, easily injured etc. Left the wife and reduced gluten intake and was back up fit within 12 months. I am now the fittest I have been since my very early 20's.
 cander 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Jim Fraser:
yep I'm with Jim - 53, run a marathon every month (though it does take 26 days) cycle to work, but I absolutely do not eat what my ancestors ate - I stick to salads for supper, sometimes for lunch too. Otherwise soup for lunch, plenty of water and no booze except for weekends - I get the odd achey shins from running, otherwise no complaints - my father and grandfather did however die in their mid fifties from heart disease so that keeps the mind focused with regular check ups to monitor blood pressure and cholesterol levels . I'd rather like to see my Grandkids grow up.
 pork pie girl 12 Nov 2013
In reply to tmawer: knew you respond to this one mr claw! xx
 pork pie girl 12 Nov 2013
In reply to cb294: agree.. but my answer to most problems in life is.. more sport and exercise...
 drsdave 12 Nov 2013
In reply to paul walters: Dear Paul, live like you mean it and to hell with the rest. you're gonna die anyhow at some stage so my tip is to act appropriately and go out in style,
enjoy the winter dude
 Alex Slipchuk 12 Nov 2013
Try kung fu
altirando 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Yeah, avoid mass produced white bread. Morrisons have a good alternative using an old strain of wheat, but I find corn bread to be perfect, very tasty too.
Removed User 13 Nov 2013
In reply to altirando:

I am 54 and in decent nick. Only issue left shoulder after being knocked off mountain bike but that is slowly improving. For what they are worth my tips are:

Train hard and often, do not give an inch to age, father time will take what he will take, dont make it easy for him.

Cross train loads to aviod repetition injuries.

Do at least some heavy weights to maintain strength and muscle mass.

Do yoga, its good for you and saves having to streach!

Be vegetarian. Contraversial I know but I think the evidence is gradually stacking up to say that eating meat is not good for you.

Switch to barefoot running syle. its saved my calves.

Only take any drugs as a last resort, taking one alaways seem to lead to taking another and so on.
 lmarenzi 13 Nov 2013

Wot Gary said
OP paul walters 13 Nov 2013

Thanks everyone for your replies;

I don’t normally dwell on the aches and pains, it was just a passing thought.

I don’t take any medication apart from the BP meds prescribed. My folks died from a stroke and a heart attack, and there is a familial trait for heart disease, so I’m taking no chances.

Yes I am over weight but am trying to get that under control. I have “high” cholesterol, but with a normal LDL/HDL balance. BUT, it is still below the national average.

I have now stopped eating wheat/gluten products to see how that goes.

I don’t drink anywhere near as much as other people I know, but am now cutting that down.

I avoid processed foods as much as possible (and always have) and I don’t eat a lot of meat.

I have suffered with anxiety and depressive episodes for most of my life, but am learning to manage them. I do suffer with work-related stress. I spend a lot of time wondering how I can change my lifestyle entirely, but realise most people are in similar positions.

I don’t avoid doing anything just in case it hurts…. And often hurt myself pursuing my goals. I certainly don’t feel old.

Tall Clare 13 Nov 2013

regarding anxiety - I've recently read a theory about people's anxiety levels reducing when they cut out gluten. It could be well be hokum, mind... My gluten levels are reducing since Mr TC was diagnosed as being coeliac, and I'm toying with cutting it out entirely to see what effect it has in that regard.
Wiley Coyote2 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Oh I wouldn't worry about it Clare

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...