UKC

is it art? (possible discretion needed)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Run_Ross_Run 11 Nov 2013
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24896784
Artist nails his nuts to the street (literally).
 csw 11 Nov 2013
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

I'd say it has more merit than an unmade bed
 knthrak1982 11 Nov 2013

I struggle to see how nailing your balls to the ground is a metaphor for apathy. It seems like too much effort.
 1poundSOCKS 11 Nov 2013
In reply to knthrak1982: You'd have to be really struggling to find a good metaphor.
 jkarran 11 Nov 2013
In reply to knthrak1982:

> I struggle to see how nailing your balls to the ground is a metaphor for apathy. It seems like too much effort.

Hitting a nail through your nut-sack is bad enough but imagine missing it...

jk <feeling a little queasy>
 Andy Hardy 11 Nov 2013
In reply to jkarran:

His thumbs would be safe if he used one of these bad boys http://tinyurl.com/l7gx5ns

knthrak1982 11 Nov 2013
In reply to 999thAndy:

I don't think jk was referring to thumbs.
cap'nChino 11 Nov 2013
In reply to Run_Ross_Run: It takes balls to make such a statement in Russia. Takes even bigger balls to whack a nail through your scrote, in to concrete in freezing conditions.

But no, it is not art. Its a political protest IMO.
cap'nChino 11 Nov 2013
In reply to 999thAndy:
> (In reply to jkarran)
>
> His thumbs would be safe if he used one of these bad boys http://tinyurl.com/l7gx5ns

Goose bumps.
 csw 11 Nov 2013
In reply to cap'nChino:

are they mutually exclusive? Picasso's Guernica was a protest too wasn't it?
 Andy Hardy 11 Nov 2013
In reply to knthrak1982:

I know.
 Clarence 11 Nov 2013

I nailed my scrotum to a table once for a bet, it didn't hurt too bad but that was in a nice warm sheffield student flat, not the middle of Red Square.
KevinD 11 Nov 2013

> Artist nails his nuts to the street (literally).

If he wants to call it art then its art. I tend to work on the theory of not arguing with people willing to put a nail through their nuts.
 Choss 11 Nov 2013
In reply to Clarence:
> (In reply to Run_Ross_Run)
>
> I nailed my scrotum to a table once for a bet, it didn't hurt too bad

Thats the Spirit right there.

Now thats what Oliiver should be doing at 16. Not Planning a sick Leninesque tomb to the memory of Thatcher!

llechwedd 11 Nov 2013

Derivative rubbish.

Nearly half a century earlier, Dinsdale Pirhana blazed a stellar trail in this medium back in the 1960's and 70's.
From memory, Vince Snetterton Lewis and Stig O'Tracey were two of his earlier accomplishments.
As site specific installations, their heads nailed to the floor, they did not attract much public attention until featured on BBC TV's 'Monty Python'.
Perhaps the apogee of his work is to be found in his tenderly crafted 'Mrs O' Tracey- Head Nailed to a Coffee Table'.
 Postmanpat 11 Nov 2013
In reply to llechwedd:
>
> Derivative rubbish.
>
>
Cruel, but fair......
llechwedd 11 Nov 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:
> (In reply to llechwedd)
> [...]
> Cruel, but fair......

Just choked on my toast.
 argyle_dude 11 Nov 2013

The nut sack itself just skin and a few blood vessels isn't it? I wouldn't imagine it hurts that much, very few nerve endings and all that.

As an aside, has anyone actually claimed this is art? Or are you asking because because it was done by an artist? It is quite clearly an act of political activism/protest. When Emily Davison threw herself infront of a horse, was it art?
 coinneach 11 Nov 2013
In reply to argyle_dude:
>
> The nut sack itself just skin and a few blood vessels isn't it? I wouldn't imagine it hurts that much, very few nerve endings and all that.

I once had 13 stitches put in mine after an accident.................

it bloody stung believe me!

teflonpete 15 Nov 2013
In reply to coinneach:

The surgeon got a bit close to the edge of the area numbed by local anaesthetic with his scalpel when I was having my snip. That made my toes curl a bit. Think it takes quite a bit of either commitment or lunacy to nail your scrote to a road on purpose!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...