UKC

Simple, but tasty, chicken dishes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 11 Nov 2013
Hi,

I need some inspiration on what to do with a couple of chicken breasts for dinner, that is quick and easy - otherwise, it'll end up another stir-fry.

Assume I've got most basic things in the cupboard - I've got to pop to Sainsbury's later anyway, so anything I haven't got can be easily sourced.

Not curry, though - we had that over the weekend.

Fire away...

Thanks in advance.
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Juice of 1 lime, some fresh coriander. Rub all over the chicken breasts and stick in the over with some peppers, onions and a bit of oil at 180C ish for ~25 minutes (or until cooked), turning and spooning over some more of the juice part way through. Serve with rice or a nice salad.
Oliiver 11 Nov 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout: i hope a "Chicken breast", isn't a dirty metaphor for something you had "over the weekend"
 lost1977 11 Nov 2013

HomeMade piri piri stir fry hot salad with rice noodles. Made it yesterday but made it with piri rather than chicken, the left over piri piri makes a great dressing for salad
Removed User 11 Nov 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout: Stuff with spinach, sauted shrooms and a bit of blue cheese. Wrap in parma ham. Bake and serve with a white wine sauce.

A bit seventies but hey...
 GridNorth 11 Nov 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout: Chicken in a creamy mushroom sauce. Double cream, onions, mushrooms and French mustard. Brown the chicken in the pan with oil and butter then stick it in the oven. When nearly done, saute the mushrooms and onion, add some cream, mix until it starts to thicken, , add 2 teaspoons of French mustard, continue mixing then add the chicken to the sauce to cook for a minute or two longer.
Wulfrunian 11 Nov 2013

Errm, a stir fry, but a tasty one:

Fry chicken strips on a high heat until browning nicely then reduce heat and lob in onion, pepper and mushrooms. Take one cup of pearl barley and two cups of water (per two people), add salt and veg. stock cube or, if you can get it, a couple of teaspoons of Vegeta (eastern European salty veg. stock powder - makes everything taste awesome). Bring to boil in a pan then simmer until liquid nearly gone. Then lob it all into the wok/frying pan with the chicken and veg, mix it up and serve. You want most moisture to be gone but a bit of savoury brown seepage is delish!

Simple but incredibly tasty Anglo-Macedonian peasant fodder.
OP LastBoyScout 11 Nov 2013
In reply to Wulfrunian:

We may have a winner - how long does the barley take to cook, roughly?
Wulfrunian 11 Nov 2013

Oooh, 20-30 minutes or so? Must admit, my attention to such details as timing when cooking leaves a little to be desired. I cook the pearl barley as I do rice (albeit with the stock added) but when it's still got a little liquid in it, try a bit - if it's palatable (I like it quite firm and chewy) then lob it all in the wok and nuke it to get rid of excess liquid. Hard to balls it up to be honest (I've tried often enough).
 roperat 11 Nov 2013
Chicken, lemon and rocket rissotto, simple but satisfying.

Squeeze lemon over the chicken before frying in olive oil, roll a couple of strips of lemon zest and add to the pan as the chicken is cooking, add rice and fry for 2 minutes before adding a little white wine (apple juice works well if you've not got a bottle open). Add chicken stock slowly until it's creamy with the rice retaining a little bite, take off the heat and stir through a bag of rocket and season. A bit of parmesan and you're sorted.
 SARS 11 Nov 2013

Grill, make a salad, shove it in a wrap with your favourite sauce.

Sorry, I'm too lazy for all that cooking stuff....
 Bog ninja 11 Nov 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout: Chicken Jambalaya is mega, works well with or without chorizo. You also only need one saucepan so it saves on the cleaning.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1167651/chicken-and-chorizo-jambalaya
Daithi O Murchu 12 Nov 2013

chicken breast broiled in a can of chopped tomattoes add a bit of garlic and mixed herbs

serve on rice
 Andy Hardy 12 Nov 2013
Coat chicken in flour, fry in butter/oil til gold then add chicken stock, red wine garlic, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 25 mins.
Serve with mashed spuds and some green frippery.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...