UKC

How does this happen???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Gamisou 12 Nov 2013
Pulled down the rope, which is running through quick draws on a sports route, and after it's flaked itself onto the ground there is now a perfectly tied fig of 8 about 4m from the end which has just been pulled. WTF?
 Muel 12 Nov 2013
In reply to AndrewW:

Magic.
 Choss 12 Nov 2013
In reply to AndrewW:

Aliens
 peppermill 12 Nov 2013
In reply to AndrewW:

You should have just gone to next leader 'That's right, I did just do that. Tie in, bitch'
In reply to Troy Tempest:

The correct comment is a disappointed: "Oh, I normally manage a Yosemite Bowline!"

ALC
 Trangia 12 Nov 2013
In reply to AndrewW:

It's an even more interesting event when it happens to an end when you are pulling the rope through during a multi pitch abseil as once happened to a friend of mine. As it was their only rope he had to prusik up and sort it. Probably the most heart stopping event of his life....
Andy Gamisou 12 Nov 2013
In reply to AndrewW:

I quite like the aliens explanation. Felt like I'd maybe recently been probed.
 alan moore 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Trangia:
One time, I pulled the rope down and it dissappeared. It had been coiling up at my feet but went I bent down to find the end it had gone. We were flumoxed for a while but the removal of the leaf litter revealled a 6 inch hole leading down into a subterranian world into which the rope had slithered.
An hour of digging failed to retreive it.
This was at Shorncliffe.
 Choss 12 Nov 2013
In reply to alan moore:

Fairies
 French Erick 12 Nov 2013
In reply to AndrewW:
the French have this wonderful phrase: "loi de l'emmerdement maximum". It is a quasi acxiom which translate literaly as the law of maximum shit happens.

I appreciate that the fairies, aliens explanations are a lot more poetic. You northeners have always been a people prone to melancholy and vibrant mindscapes.
 French Erick 12 Nov 2013
In reply to French Erick:
axiom,even!
 Choss 12 Nov 2013
> (In reply to AndrewW)
> the French have this wonderful phrase: "loi de l'emmerdement maximum". It is a quasi acxiom which translate literaly as the law of maximum shit happens.
>
> I appreciate that the fairies, aliens explanations are a lot more poetic. You northeners have always been a people prone to melancholy and vibrant mindscapes.

Im a southerner, and so is shorncliff, and its rope stealing fairies.

David Coley 12 Nov 2013
In reply to AndrewW: I've had this happen, as have others, and I wonder if it is more likely the faster you pull the rope. How fast were you pulling?
Andy Gamisou 12 Nov 2013
In reply to David Coley:
> (In reply to AndrewW) I've had this happen, as have others, and I wonder if it is more likely the faster you pull the rope. How fast were you pulling?

I can think of a whole bunch of jokes in response to this - mostly unsavoury. However, in truth probably not pulling especially fast. I've had it happen before, but right at the end of the rope - not about 4m in.

ByEek 12 Nov 2013
In reply to AndrewW: You should be lucky it only happened 4m in. It can also occur right in the middle! It happens when you coil the rope on the floor and you end up pull loops at the bottom of the pile over loops that the top of the pile. The knack is to never loop the rope, but fold it instead. Still happens to the best of us and usually at the worst time.
 French Erick 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:
to me you ain't no such things... to my family you live up there with penguins on the ice sheet
 nniff 12 Nov 2013

Why don't polar bears eat penguins?

They would if they could, but it's a long swim, and so they'd rather eat the rope fairies (actually, it's pixies, ropes are too heavy for fairies)
 Choss 12 Nov 2013
In reply to nniff:
> (In reply to French Erick)
>
> Why don't polar bears eat penguins?
>
> They would if they could, but it's a long swim, and so they'd rather eat the rope fairies (actually, it's pixies, ropes are too heavy for fairies)

No its fairies that Steal rope in the forest. Pixies, or piskies, never go north of Devon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...