UKC

Pull up rings kinder to elbows

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 12 Nov 2013
I was perusing Mountain Spirits post about ice axe pull ups and Ice Solo and Andy Nisbet suggested chins, pull ups and ice axe pull ups were safer done on either suspended tape or on pull up rings, as this was safer for your elbows.

I was considering making some rings or something similar and was wondering what the theory was being why it was easier on your elbows and/or shoulders. Had trouble with tennis elbow for years but if anything I've found the more chins I do the better it is, the less I do the worse it is. I know enough people older than me with shoulder problems though so, much as I love chins on a flat beam, I'd be willing to alter my training if it was easier on my joints.

Thanks

Ben
 AlanLittle 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp:

With me it was shoulders rather than elbows, but I have certainly found it to be true. I think for two reasons:

(1) everything can rotate freely into a biomechanically natural position, which you can also vary, instead of being fixed in one plane as with a bar.

(2) with rings, if you can be bothered to make the effort - and have them rigged so you can easily adjust the height - you can make sure you do plenty of dips, pressups and rows, not just pullups, and so keep your training more balanced. I always got shoulder trouble doing lots of pullups on a bar, when I switched to doing equal amounts of pullups and dips on rings my shoulders liked it far better
OP Sharp 12 Nov 2013
In reply to AlanLittle: Cheers for that, sound like a good idea with plenty options for varying things a bit. I've got a false ceiling above the stairs with a hatch in it, will have an explore for some suitably strong beam in the ceiling to hang something down from.
 cuppatea 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp:

I was thinking about something similar..

I was going to drill 2 holes through the loft hatch panel, thread some rope through and tie the ends off to a length of 2 by 4 (or what ever I have lying about in the garage) that was long enough to rest on the rafters.

Having read the above I may go for rings rather than a bar.
 pork pie girl 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp: hiya, I also really like pull ups and chins.. I find wipe grip with palms facing away ok on my joints (I've been doing them for about 25 years now without problems.. god that makes me feel old!)however I find narrow grip with palms facing inwards (towards me) on a straight bar uncomfortable on the outside of ny wrists and I get loads of clicking in my elbows... for this reason I don't do them as much.. I am playing with the idea of using rings instead because I am pretty sure they'll allow the joints to move in the way they need to ... I was looking at getting or making some adjustable straps with rings for different exercises .. I've used them in the gym before and reckon it'd be great to have some set up at home... you can do loads of different resistance exercises with them.

I tend to do high reps per set with pull ups/chins... i'm also considering educing these and adding weight ..less wear and tear on joints maybe as not knocking out as many reps.

seeing as you seem into your winter climbing... I wondered if you've tried using schmoolz (think that's how you spell it) none stretchy rubber bands (actually think they're made out of something like bits of tyres) on axe handle/shaft design made out of wood... awesome workout at the wall..found these very transferable to the type of pump you get winter climbing

PPG
 Mark Harding 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp:
> I was wondering what the theory was being why it was easier on your elbows and/or shoulders. Had trouble with tennis elbow for years but if anything I've found the more chins I do the better it is, the less I do the worse it is.

As I understand it, if you do the chins/pull ups with a tape twisted around your wrist you are not using the wrist flexors which attach at the medial epicondlye of the elbow (together with the finger flexors). There is therefore less strain on the tendons on the inside of the elbow joint and less chance of aggravating/causing medial epicondylitis (golfers/climbers elbow)... Can't see it makes much difference to the shoulders though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...