UKC

Kitchens - curtains, blinds or nothing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 12 Nov 2013
Not the most interesting of topics but there you go. I prefer curtains but I'm changing colour in the kitchen and I'm not sure if I can be bothered splashing out on them so might just leave them bare. Less cleaning as well, although my windows have wooden surrounds* and I think bare windows look better if it's just the masonry showing. Hate blinds though.

What do most people have?

Ben

*whatever you call them, the flat mitred picture frame type that surrounds the top 3/4 of the windows and comes down to meet the sill.
 dale1968 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp: nothing
 hokkyokusei 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp:

Nothing.
 Queenie 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp:

A bamboo blind, which only is only ever rolled down in high summer for shade when the sun shines right in.
 Carolyn 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp:

Nothing since we moved here. Old house had blinds, that were virtually never down (in the kitchen part - dining part had curtains.

Curtains over worktops would drive me mad, I reckon....
 coinneach 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Carolyn:

Curtains.....................on tie backs.

Only drawn when it snows.
 butteredfrog 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp:

Once set the Kitchen curtains on fire, with an angle-grinder. (A cautionary tale)
andymac 12 Nov 2013
In reply to butteredfrog:
> (In reply to Ben Sharp)
>
> Once set the Kitchen curtains on fire, with an angle-grinder. (A cautionary tale)

The missus not the best in cooking department I take it?
 butteredfrog 12 Nov 2013
In reply to andymac:

Burnt pin holes in the carpet with the welder too.
 gethin_allen 12 Nov 2013
Where you trying to cut some particularly over done food with a grinder?

I currently have nothing over the windows or french doors. Before the french door were put in and the kitchen renovated I had a curtain over the one window (away from the cooking and food prep) area and then a roller blind over the window by the sink.
I need to put some curtains up soon as I could do with saving heating costs and getting some privacy from the people over the back from me.
 elsewhere 12 Nov 2013
> Burnt pin holes in the carpet with the welder too.

You can't say that and not tell us the story!

butteredfrog 12 Nov 2013
In reply to elsewhere:

A little bit of motorcycle modification. (She wasn't very impressed with the coffee table engine rebuild either)
Sarah G 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp:
Blind. Pressed into use when the sun comes round in the pm and is too bright.

Sxx
 Skip 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp:

Heavy duty curtains, you'll be surprised how much insulation they provide, save on energy bills and be more comfortable.
OP Sharp 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Skip: Well I think I'll try without anything first, may well cave a few months down the line and put curtains up. They do look nicer but they get filthy pretty quick in the kitchen.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...