UKC

What is it with some people?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin W 12 Nov 2013
Sadly, it looks like whoever did this will never be apprehended, and may be inclined to do it again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-24912111

I'm assuming that the perpetrator doesn't actually harbour a death wish against all cyclists, and thought that this would be "a bit of a laugh" - like the inadequates who seem to think that dropping rocks on to passing traffic from motorway bridges is "a bit of a laugh".

Do people really have no concept of the possible consequences of their actions?
 balmybaldwin 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Martin W:

> I'm assuming that the perpetrator doesn't actually harbour a death wish against all cyclists, and thought that this would be "a bit of a laugh" - like the inadequates who seem to think that dropping rocks on to passing traffic from motorway bridges is "a bit of a laugh".
>
> Do people really have no concept of the possible consequences of their actions?

Unfortunately I think you are wrong, and I also think you would be surprised at who it was if they ever catch them... yes, kids might think it was just a laugh, but this is unlikely to be kids. This is much more likely to be an adult, as is supected in numerous other cases like this (some of which have resulted in much more severe injuries) unfortunately we'll never know unless one of the cretins tweets about it to boast.

I would think the person that did this knew exactly what the consequnces would be - an injured cyclist, and the perpetrator getting a way scott-free

numerous cases reported around this area (Surrey), many suspect pedestrians that have been scared a bit by a bike a few too many times, dog walkers ramblers, unhappy land owners etc, nobody really knows, but from the various materials used to do it, it's unlikely to be just random kids - they aren't organised enough to go and get fishing twine of the appropriate strength required etc

There's a thread on here somewhere from last year - think a poor kid got garrotted and hospitalised.

Having said that, it pay's to keep your eyes peeled when out on your bike - I got pulled off my bike earlier this year by a vine that caught me under the nose (bloody painful, but better than round the neck!)
 ChrisJD 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Martin W:

Well, there was a thread on UKC recently where some posters thought it within their rights to physically abuse cyclists riding on a footpath...

Sadly, there have been cases of traps (huge spike in puddles), boulders, logs, ropes etc laid across BW, paths, tracks in the Peak and wider afield.
 Reach>Talent 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Martin W:
I've encountered a few interesting booby traps while out cycling:

Nails hammered up through roots, wire across trails, supports sawn out of "northshore" trails, logs dragged across paths, broken glass scattered across jumps etc. Some people seem to think that if you aren't actually present at the time the person is injured then it isn't your fault.
OP Martin W 12 Nov 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:
> (In reply to Martin W)
>
> Well, there was a thread on UKC recently where some posters thought it within their rights to physically abuse cyclists riding on a footpath...

IIRC the poster said that pushing the cyclist off the path would be in response to deliberate rudeness on the part of the cyclist. So escalation rather than assault without warning, though no more justifiable. Another poster then said that, if they were that cyclist then they would respond with even greater (and rather graphically described) physical violence. So it seems that cyclists aren't immune to a touch of red mist behind the keyboard either.

Exchanging empty threats online is a pretty far cry from deliberately setting out to inflict genuine injury on whichever random human being happens to come along, simply because they are perceived as being part of a group perceived as "other".
 Chris the Tall 12 Nov 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:
> (In reply to Martin W)
>
> Well, there was a thread on UKC recently where some posters thought it within their rights to physically abuse cyclists riding on a footpath...
>

In the thread on STW someone got in straight away to blame it on Strava....

ChrisJD 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:

>... blame it on Strava....

The cause of it all, for sure
 gethin_allen 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Martin W:
There were a few cases like this at lady Cannings plantation near Sheffield. In this case they used barbed wire.
 Trevers 12 Nov 2013
In reply to gethin_allen:
> (In reply to Martin W)
> There were a few cases like this at lady Cannings plantation near Sheffield. In this case they used barbed wire.

That's nothing short of attempted murder. Was anyone caught?
 bigbobbyking 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Martin W:

This exact thing is suspected to have happened to my dad on the same stretch of bike path a few years ago. I say suspected because he was found by an ambulance crew after an anonymous 999 call and later had no memory of what had happened. But the Dr said the injuries looked like they had been caused by a rope at head height. The police were informed but nothing to be found on the path and no witnesses and untracable 999 call.

gethin_allen 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Trevers:
there was an old git who lived nearby that was talked to by the local cops but nothing was ever done.
 Trevers 13 Nov 2013
 Chris Harris 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Martin W:

We had someone go round loosening front wheel nuts in the bike shed at work.

Neil Williams 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Chris Harris:

I had someone nick my quick release skewers once, presumably out of frustration of not being able to nick the wheels because I'd locked them properly.

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...