UKC

Cycling and climbing helmet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jus 12 Nov 2013
I'd like to get one of these Petzl Picchus for my 6 year old daughter but it only goes up to 54cm and her head is already 53cm.

http://tinyurl.com/otloavp

Does anyone know of another option, perhaps a small adult one?
 didntcomelast 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Jus: Camp used to make a helmet which was for climbing cycling and kayaking. Sorry cannot remember the name, I do recall it claimed to have the relevant safety certifications for all three disciplines.
 Neil Pratt 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Jus:

Petzl Meteor is certified as a climbing and cycling helmet - it's also wonderfully light, although not as impervious to careless treatment as the Picchu would be.
OP Jus 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Neil Pratt:

Yeah I did see that http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/mountaineering-and-climbing-helmets/meteor-...

That is from 53cm (which her head is) so will look a bit huge! And as you say is not as robust as the Picchu (and twice the price!)

Perhaps a normal cycling helmet and a Petzl Elia will be better.
 KiwiPrincess 12 Nov 2013
In reply to Jus:
The shape of the head rather than size changes as you age.
Kids have a rounder head I think.
Take her in to try some onto check it stays in place as she looks up , Bunnyhops the curb etc.
Hi,

Kong's "Scarab" is EN-rated for climbing, cycling (and other sports).
Petzl's "Meteor III +" is also EN-rated for climbing, cycling (and other sports).

Having said that, neither is a kids helmet and both have been designed with rock climbing in mind. There may be other multi-purpose helmets I'm not aware of.

Tough one. If it were for an adult I would definitely advise either helmet. Being for a 6 year old kid (I'm a dad too) I'd probably buy a dedicated cycling helmet and a climbing one looking for the "perfect" fit (they all have a size range) as this plays a fundamental role in the overall safety of the helmet. It may be an adult or kids helmet, it doesn't really matter, but it has to fit properly. My two cents.

Nic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...