UKC

lakes conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jackspratt 13 Nov 2013
Has anything come into condition in the lakes yet or looking like it will over the coming weeks? Got winter fever already!
 Mark Eddy 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Jackspratt: All the hills in the south lakes are looking wonderfully autumnal. No snow on the fairfield, coniston, langdale fells.
OP Jackspratt 13 Nov 2013
In reply to A Mountain Journey: Thanks I'm eager to put a few days together to shake off the rust ready for scotland over christmas
 Gael Force 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Jackspratt: Its virtually all gone I'm afraid, 12 degrees yesterday when I was out running.
 Wesley Orvis 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Jackspratt:

Nothing but slush left.
 Billhook 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Jackspratt:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=568862

tiny bit of adjustment and this thread will sort you out no end.
In reply to Jackspratt:
It always takes a while and a few freeze-thaw cycles to bring the ground temperatures down so that the turf will freeze. Consequently, repeated snow falls that melt are better than a heavy snow fall that lays and insulates the ground...

Look closely at where the frosts happen, as often the E Lakes is significantly colder than the W.

NMM
 joe.91 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Jackspratt: forecast freezing level around 200m on tuesday, but still will take a fair few days to bring anything into condition.
 BnB 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Jackspratt: No snow on Helvellyn today. None at all.
In reply to Jackspratt:

> Has anything come into condition in the lakes yet or looking like it will over the coming weeks? Got winter fever already!

http://www.mwis.org.uk/ld.php?fdate=131116

freezing level well above the summits by the weekend

you may need to take some paracetamol

or a plane to somewhere cold...

cheers
gregor

Carolyn 13 Nov 2013
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey:
> Look closely at where the frosts happen, as often the E Lakes is significantly colder than the W.

'Tis true - the temperature fell by 5 degrees as I drove east across the A66 on Monday morning, although unfortunately for the snow, it was from 12 degrees to 7 degrees.
 OllieF 13 Nov 2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...