UKC

Help me choose a softshell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Cowley 13 Nov 2013
Looking for a softshell to go climbing in this winter and for other things. I know everyone is different so certain jackets will work better for certain people and a lot is trial and error but it's a lot of money to take a chance. I am looking at the rab exodus, rab vapourise guide and rab baltoro. i can get quite hot when moving so unsure whether to use the vapourise with a base layer or base layer lightweight fleece(if needed) then 1 of the other 2 or what other soft shells do people use? Also got a decent belay jacket to use when it's super cold and a decent hard shell. I know it's all temperature and weather dependent but unfortunately money won't allow me to buy gear for all winter eventualities

Cheers your help and advice would be greatly appreciated

David
Oliiver 13 Nov 2013
In reply to David Cowley: I've got the Mountain Equipment G2 mountain pants. They're really warm, but not too warm; they're also extremely water resistant + hardwearing.
 iksander 13 Nov 2013
In reply to David Cowley: I'd say avoid the baltoro if you get hot, go for something thin and breathable that fits with helmet and pack IMHO
 Nathan Adam 13 Nov 2013
In reply to David Cowley: ME Orbital does the trick for me, i'd go for something without a lining such as windstopper or powershield for the upper body as it has way better breathable qualities without. Use it with a windshirt below and if its really cold a micro fleece. Hood is excellent with high volume helmets and without, cut could be a little longer for staying under a harness but generally its fine. Will get you through 95% of bad weather up high, i keep a lightweight waterproof jacket in my pack for walks in and out in the rain if need be, obviously this won't be a problem for you with a good waterproof already. Can get one for £130'ish if you shop around.
 BnB 14 Nov 2013
In reply to David Cowley: For a medium weight jacket I'd go for the Exodus in that price range For a lighter, but better featured option, try the Montana Alpine Stretch, which is an utter bargain at £80. I like the Montane's combination of Napoleon AND hand warmer pockets, meaning you can access them while wearing a harness and doing contortions. You'd want different base and mid layer combinations depending on which level of warmth you go for. And you'll still get it wrong because you never quite know what you're gonna find up top!! Multiple thin layers are more effective and flexible but call for more regular costume changes.
 aldo56 14 Nov 2013
In reply to David Cowley: I've had a Vapour-rise Guide and sold it for a Exodus. The guide was waaaay to warm for my sweaty demena and didn't cut out the wind well enough, leaving me wet and chilled.

Exodus is excellent, especially when teamed with a light weight wicking soft shell underneath. (I use a Marmot Dri-clime but the Vapour-rise Alpine would do the same job.)

The dri-clime is good for walk in on it's own then is worn as a base layer under everything else when climbing.
 ClimbingGlen 14 Nov 2013
In reply to David Cowley: I have a mountain hardwear soft shell with a dry q elite lining. It's waterproof breathable and has pit zips for extra venting! It's slightly warmer than a hard shell and tough.
The Trinity is similar to mine.
Great jacket.
In reply to David Cowley: I'm currently in a similar position. The current range of options is pretty baffling.

I really like the look of the RAB AL Pullon as a winter base layer. Has one used them?
 BnB 14 Nov 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:
> (In reply to David Cowley) I'm currently in a similar position. The current range of options is pretty baffling.
>
> I really like the look of the RAB AL Pullon as a winter base layer. Has one used them?

Funny you should say that. I bought one yesterday for just that purpose. I thought it might do well for snowboarding and winter ice on the assumption that it wicks well (if it doesn't, then what is the point of it?).

Unfortunately I haven't tested it yet, despite then proceeding to the top of Helvellyn in a freezing gale.
 Joe G 14 Nov 2013
In reply to David Cowley:
I got mine from Aldi. I get most of my outdoor clothing from Aldi. It's great for the price, so much cheaper than the famous brand names.
 BnB 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Joe G:
> (In reply to David Cowley)
> I got mine from Aldi. I get most of my outdoor clothing from Aldi. It's great for the price, so much cheaper than the famous brand names.

I bet everyone'll be checking your profile picture now
 GridNorth 14 Nov 2013
In reply to David Cowley: I have Rab Vapourise pull on top and trousers but they are not very good for ice climbing. They seem to soak up the moisture if you press against the ice. I wear a thin wicking base layer, a Patagonia puffball pull on, an Arcteryx Gamma Hoody softshell jacket and I carry a Rab belay jacket. If it's really cold I replace the thin baselayer with Powershield and in those circumstances hardly ever use the belay jacket. I also really rate Buffalo gear but I can't wear it if there is a long walk in as I get too hot. Unfortunately what works for me may not work for you.
 Brian Pollock 14 Nov 2013

I have been using a Montane Alpine Stretch. I would highly recommend it, it's highly versatile, cut very nicely, lots of stretch, feels tough and has stood up to scratching around on granite without a mark, also very cheap compared to comparable softshells.

I found it to be perfect for moving fast in the Alps in summer worn over a thin baselayer and layered with a nano puff on belays or in the shade.

In Scotland I have used it as a go to jacket for everything including mountain biking, some running, and winter climbing layered over a baselayer and r1 hoody.

I would definitely recommend an unlined softshell such as this or an Exodus (which feels a bit tougher but probably heavier and maybe warmer (which isn't necessarily a good thing if you run hot and plan on layering)).
OP David Cowley 14 Nov 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: Im thinking cause i get really hot when i move and cold as soon as i stop (partly due to overheating then sweating and the sweat freezing me to the bone) wearing my merino wool base layer or patagonia synthetic base layer with a mid weight fleece then soft-shell not vaporise i shouldn't overheat to much then bang on my montane flux when i belay i should get on ok. I know theres so many different days you get on a winter mountain but i think i'll go for that system. If its super cold then bang on another layer. So many options wish i could afford a different outfit for different days. So it looks like I've got some trying on of gear this weekend.

Cheers all David

OP David Cowley 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Brian Pollock: Cheers brian i think i'll try that system as i already have base layer and mid fleece. I know with the baltoro being power shield its not completely wind proof so not sure whether it'll work great on a windy scottish when other soft shells are but it is a bit warmer. Decisions decisions
 Joe G 24 Nov 2013
In reply to BnB:

> I bet everyone'll be checking your profile picture now

Hey, I never thought of that - that is an Aldi softshell I'm wearing in the picture! And gloves from Lidl
mikebarter387 25 Nov 2013
In reply to David Cowley: I just did a review on the new Black diamond Jacket. I know they are not the first choice in your hood but might help somebody.

Dawn Patrol Hybrid Shell: It wasn’t very long ago that Gore the company that supplies the material for these water proof breathables would not allow a jacket to be made that was not 100% waterproof. A recent change in creative wording has allowed them and Black Diamond to go ahead with this design. Also of note Arcteryx had a hybrid design a number of years ago but which was shot down by Gore. I suspect they (Arcteryx) may have another model in the works which would be good for everybody because they don’t make stuff that is just as good but equipment that can be considered a game changer.

I have the Dawn Patrol Alpine Jacket not the LT. I am a big fan of Schoeller material. It is a stretch fabric that is tough and breathable. I have had dozens of pairs of pants from the time that Mammut first came out with their version of a climbing pant. When I heard they were incorporating it into a jacket I thought to my self “self, this is interesting” Then I thought “ I am I talking to myself” My self seemed to say “ Looks like it” Thought I had better stop right there before things get carried away and I get institutionalized.

The dawn patrol is a slim fitting jacket. I’m 5.101/2 175 lbs. So I am right in between large and medium in most cases. I always order a large when it comes to jackets and that works out fine. This time is no exception as this comes in a bit slimmer then usual. Maybe 10% slimmer then the Arcteryx storm shells. For me this works great. If your fitting just right in a large then maybe going in someplace where this gear is sold and try on a extra large.

Rest of the review here:
http://www.mountainguide.com/blog/2013/11/25/review-black-diamond-dawn-patr...
 Lesdavmor 25 Nov 2013

I got one from LIDL for € 13, It is windproof to at least 115kph( motorbike)
& seems to be well made & not too clammy. Good elbow movement which was the problem in other ones I tried
 hedgepig 25 Nov 2013

Has anyone got a recommendation for a woman-shaped women's softshell? They all seem to be made for Kate Moss.
 SFM 25 Nov 2013

If you run hot then any soft shell with a membrane is not for you. A driclime/vapour rise style again might be too hot. You could always wear them next to skin as that really regulates temperature. Vr is better that driclime in this respect.

could a lighter base layer help? Means you can control your temperature with outer layers
 Andy Hardy 26 Nov 2013

> [...] i get really hot when i move and cold as soon as i stop (partly due to overheating then sweating and the sweat freezing me to the bone) [...]

Sounds like you need to join UKC fit club!
OP David Cowley 27 Nov 2013
In reply to 999thAndy:

> Sounds like you need to join UKC fit club!

???? And you come up with this conclusion from knowing me so well and off reading 1 sentence with so little background. If only i'd came up with this answer years ago, all my problems would have been solved

Cheers everyone else for your help and advice, it's appreciated when your about to by something pretty expensive

Now i'd better get myself off to the gym

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...