UKC

Please Help, Answers Needed!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
david-hill 14 Nov 2013
Hi All,

I am a Product Design student studying at Bournemouth University and for my final year project, I am designing a hydration product for the Alpine Mountaineering, Climbing, Hiking and Skiing markets. As a keen mountain biker, skier and mountaineer this is something close to my heart and I know the awesome mountain community well, so I am hoping you can help me out!

Please take 30 seconds to do this mega quick survey that will help strengthen my research -

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WZ9M7FT

Thank you so much!

David.

(Posted with permission of UKC.)
david-hill 14 Nov 2013
Oh and I forgot to mention, if you are interested in the project please don't hesitate to drop me a message!

Thanks!
cb294 14 Nov 2013
In reply to david-hill:

Done. What are you developing? A Plutonium isotope battery driven portakettle?

CB
 rogersavery 14 Nov 2013
In reply to david-hill:

The last question is difficult to answer fully without knowing what the penalty was ie where is the energy coming from to melt the snow

If it weighed significantly more than my current hydration system (1.5 ltr plastic indian tonic water bottle), then it wouldn't be of any benefit

If it used batteries, then again, probably no benefit

If it used my body heat then definitely no benefit

Doug 14 Nov 2013
In reply to david-hill: couldn't answer questions 7 or 8 as I almost never carry a stove nowadays (I'm getting old & prefer day trips or nights in huts/gites for multi-day trips)
 Choss 14 Nov 2013
In reply to david-hill:

Done.

But what i really need is a way to make instant cider when in the Hills.

The cans weigh me down...
 TomBaker 14 Nov 2013
In reply to david-hill:
Massive flaw in the survey, i don't melt snow.
Oliiver 14 Nov 2013
In reply to david-hill: David, i'm under 18 and i can't do the survey. Ought to sort this out. it's as bad as not putting an option to be a female
david-hill 14 Nov 2013
In reply to cb294:

Hey CB, thanks for completing the survey! Haha I'm afraid no nuclear fission here, it will use small amounts of the gas you already carry for your stove.
david-hill 14 Nov 2013
In reply to rogersavery:

Hi Roger,

Thanks for completing the survey, the product will weigh less than 1.2kg when full of water and use the gas that you already carry for your cooking stove.
david-hill 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

Hi Oliver! Sorry - Big mistake there, I have corrected it and you can now complete it Thanks!
 balmybaldwin 14 Nov 2013
In reply to david-hill:
> (In reply to rogersavery)
>
> Hi Roger,
>
> Thanks for completing the survey, the product will weigh less than 1.2kg when full of water and use the gas that you already carry for your cooking stove.

But I don't use gas at altitude or in the cold as it's pretty useless (freezing up, bulky cyclinders, short burn time etc) would it work with a liquid fuel likel parrafin?
 d_b 14 Nov 2013
In reply to david-hill:

Any chance that whatever you design could occasionally malfunction and set fire to my bag? Either that, or use a lump of Pu and turn my ice axes into hazardous waste.

If you can do that then I will certainly buy half a dozen as xmas presents
david-hill 14 Nov 2013
In reply to TomBaker:

Hi Tom, Sorry about that! I've added an option for 'Other' methods of collecting water. Thanks!
Shearwater 14 Nov 2013
In reply to cb294:
> What are you developing? A Plutonium isotope battery driven portakettle?

Sounds insufficiently dangerous. I reckon a high-test peroxide kettle is the way to go. Start that stuff decomposing, and you get clean water, a lovely excess of heat to keep you warm and melt snow, and also a healthy amount of pure O2. Sounds like just the stuff to take up a 7000m+ peak.
david-hill 14 Nov 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Hey, Thanks for the comment, definitely a fair point! I am currently in my research stage and hoping that I will come up with two heating fuels. Paraffin is definitely something I will look heavily into now you mention it.

Cheers!
 Choss 14 Nov 2013
In reply to david-hill:

David.

youve answered everyone but me

what about my instant cider?

Puppythedog 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss: I've got cider you can have but you'll have to

we're sorry the rest of this message was censored by the American Government with support from your Government. We may be in contact with to ascertain whether you have received requests like this before. Please do not try to evade questioning, necessary force can often cause offence. Thank you for your time.
david-hill 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss: Hi Choss, sorry about that!

I am hoping the product will also allow the user to heat water too, so it's very possible you could pop in your instant cider mix et voila, cider in the mountains!
 Choss 14 Nov 2013
In reply to david-hill:
> (In reply to Choss) Hi Choss, sorry about that!
>
> I am hoping the product will also allow the user to heat water too, so it's very possible you could pop in your instant cider mix et voila, cider in the mountains!

No, you have to develop the instant cider as well.
 smuffy 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss: Take Merrydown, you don't need so many!
 Choss 14 Nov 2013
In reply to smuffy:
> (In reply to Choss) Take Merrydown, you don't need so many!

Tis true but the glass is Heavier, as is the price.

My Friend and i Take a Slab a day Plus between us. Its not light. If Someone Invented instant cider that could be added to Hill water, it would save my old Aching Back!

david-hill 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss: Duly noted, I will get on it!
 hokkyokusei 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:
> (In reply to david-hill) David, i'm under 18 and i can't do the survey. Ought to sort this out. it's as bad as not putting an option to be a female

I agree! It would be quite wrong to discount the opinion of females. Under 18s, not so much ...
 tlm 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:
> an option to be a female

I never was given any choice about it...
david-hill 14 Nov 2013
In reply to tlm:

I sorted it out and the option is there now

Thanks for your feedback!
 tlm 15 Nov 2013
In reply to david-hill:
> (In reply to tlm)
>
> I sorted it out and the option is there now
>
> Thanks for your feedback!

No - I mean I was never given any option in life about whether or not I wanted to be female....

krikoman 15 Nov 2013
In reply to tlm:
> (In reply to david-hill)
> [...]
>
> No - I mean I was never given any option in life about whether or not I wanted to be female....

you have that choice now though
cb294 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Shearwater:
> (In reply to cb294)
> [...]
>
> Sounds insufficiently dangerous. I reckon a high-test peroxide kettle is the way to go. ....

Amazing idea. Sell it together with milk powder and chocolate flavoured catalase in nespresso-type tabs..

CB
cb294 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Choss:

Don´t know about instant cider, but have tried instant red wine once.

The most foul outdoor experience ever. I tried to google it, but seems to have disappeared from the market again for a good reason. We tried to mix it with cold water, unfortunately the protein added to the paste as an emulgator didn´t dissolve, instead made a sticky froth on the surface. The wine itself was so sour it tasted as if it had been swallowed before.

So, good luck with your cider.

CB
david-hill 15 Nov 2013
In reply to cb294: Sounds like a really lovely wine tasting session! Haha that is not fun, maybe cider would a be a better drink to do it with? Mmmm de-hydrated cider!

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...