UKC

Boys names

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 14 Nov 2013
Afternoon folks,
my wife is due at the start of January and we have a couple of girls names in mind but struggling with boys names.

Any suggestions......................
 Richard Carter 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Poseidon
 Yanis Nayu 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: Really need your surname for maximum hilarity...

Just for info, there were 5 boys in my daughter's class at primary and 3 of them were called Jack.
estivoautumnal 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Keanu.

OP Denni 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

de-Saint-Bissix-Croix.....

commence with operation maximum hilarity!
 bleddynmawr 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: What about George after the current prince..............of Welsh Rugby!
Rigid Raider 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Short, simple woody names like Ben, Sam and Tom are good in my book. Each has its full version.
 Scomuir 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:
> (In reply to Submit to Gravity)
>
> de-Saint-Bissix-Croix

It's got to be Horatio or Tarquin. Flip a coin to choose.
 teflonpete 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Vladimir

I wanted to call my son Vladimir as I thought that "Hi, I'm Vlad, Vlad the impaler..." would work well as a chat up line when he was older. :0)

Ex Mrs Teff wouldn't let me so we ended up calling him Henry. Loads of Harrys and Jacks around but not so many Henrys. Please don't call him Peter, that's a rotten thing to do to a kid.
 JIMBO 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:I always fancied calling my son Xavier Raymond so we could call him Xray but my wife saw straight through it!
 Nic 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Ah, good luck! We have just been through this, the twins came 7 weeks prematurely so the 42 day clock started ticking! Just managed to squeak in and register them yesterday!

Looking at your/your parents' names might be a good start - our little man has got a combination of my middle and family grandparent names, one to reflect his mother's south Asian heritage. They've ended up with 3 apiece so they can have the standard English name for when they become high court judges or whatever, a "more fun" middle name and another name for Asian grandparents/aunties/uncles etc.

BTW, do you not know (not want to know) what sex (s)he is? Might narrow down the issue! Or is there one of each, like us?
OP Denni 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Scomuir:
> (In reply to Denni)
> [...]
>
>
> It's got to be Horatio or Tarquin. Flip a coin to choose.

Nah! I was thinking more of an Angus or Hamish coming from Ft Bill, although with my surname, you wouldn't know!
OP Denni 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Nic:

Just the one Nic, don't know the flavour yet so a surprise!
Good luck with twins!!!!
In reply to Denni:

Adolph isn't used much anymore.
 jon 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Lancelot Jocelyn de-Saint-Bissix-Croix has a certain cachet, I think...
 TMM 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Well done Den and Mrs Den! We're expecting No. 2 in May/June.

How about Finlay?
 Yanis Nayu 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:
>
> de-Saint-Bissix-Croix.....
>
> commence with operation maximum hilarity!

Bloody hell - that's stumped me!

I think he's going to get loads of sex anyway with that surname, so you've got a fairly easy job.
 teflonpete 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:
> (In reply to Scomuir)
> [...]
>
>
> Nah! I was thinking more of an Angus or Hamish coming from Ft Bill, although with my surname, you wouldn't know!

They're both alright, bit out of place if you livid in leafy Surrey perhaps but both cool names. Think I'd go with Hamish if I had to choose between the 2.
In reply to teflonpete:

Hamish is a dog's name.
OP Denni 14 Nov 2013
In reply to TMM:

Hi Ben,
hope life is treating you well. Congratulations to you too matey, exciting times.
Finlay, good strong name, like it.
 ByEek 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Short, simple woody names like Ben, Sam and Tom are good in my book. Each has its full version.

Agreed. You definitely want long names that can be shortened. There is no way you can bollock your kid with only a short name. It doesn't have enough weight. Middle names to this end are also important.
 teflonpete 14 Nov 2013
In reply to teflonpete:
> (In reply to Denni)
> [...]
>
> They're both alright, bit out of place if you livid in leafy Surrey...

Livid in leafy Surrey? Don't know wtf happened there, maybe I was thinking of the long lost cousin of Outraged from Tunbridge Wells...

In reply to Denni:

Jehoshaphat
Azrael
Booz of Rachab
Nebuchadnezzr
Geoffrey
Gilgamesh
 Yanis Nayu 14 Nov 2013
In reply to ByEek:
> (In reply to Rigid Raider)
>
> [...]
>
> Agreed. You definitely want long names that can be shortened. There is no way you can bollock your kid with only a short name. It doesn't have enough weight. Middle names to this end are also important.

Agreed -you need the full name for letting them know they're in deep shit.

Good old British names should make a comeback. As someone said, if English footballers were called Bert, Wilf or Bob, and not Ashley, they wouldn't miss so many penalties.
In reply to Denni: Angus is a great name. Had a grad sit with me for a few hours a week ago called Angus. Really stood out as a name and not easy to forget.

My friends son is called Alban, I think that's a nice name.
In reply to Denni: We had a bit of difficulty in my house on boys names to start with, my wife liked Hunter ffs! (apologies to any Hunters out there)
 Little Brew 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: This is where scouting has a failing, as most names give me flashes to a scout, be he/she a good child or bad.

Saying that it does also let you see how peers react to there name, in giving nicknames etc...

also try what ever name you choose with your surname, and initials too, my family we have a HCB all very soft and nothing harmful, but HCB was nearly JCB.......
 Scomuir 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:
> (In reply to Scomuir)

> Nah! I was thinking more of an Angus or Hamish coming from Ft Bill, although with my surname, you wouldn't know!

Or Dougal?

We went through the same thing recently. Naturally, it had to be a name we both liked, but we'd also discussed not wanting a name that would result in he/she having to spell it every time. With that in mind, for a boy, we settled on Calum. Given that all the Calum's we know are "Calum", you can imagine how funny it was when most cards and messages came through congratulating us on the arrival of "Callum".

Anyway, this is irrelevant for you, given your surname...

OP Denni 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Scomuir:
> (In reply to Denni)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> Or Dougal?
>
>
> Anyway, this is irrelevant for you, given your surname...

Wife mentioned Dougal the other day, like it a lot. (you won't get a prize if we pick that...!)

Incidentally, was randomly looking at our youtube vids the other day as I'm going to get back into skiing but i won't be skiing down any gulleys anytime soon! Good vids btw. Den

winhill 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

What about using the fashion for calling kids after where they were conceived?

My kids, Vectra and Mondeo love their names.
 Scomuir 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Couple of our friends named their boy Dougal. Yes, they are fans of the Magic Roundabout.

Suspect my gully skiing will take a bit of a hit this winter with the arrival of the little one, but do hope to get a good few days out if I can. Just need the snow and the "day passes" to materialise Cheers, Scott
 winhill 14 Nov 2013
> (In reply to ByEek)
> [...]
>
> Agreed -you need the full name for letting them know they're in deep shit.
>
> Good old British names should make a comeback. As someone said, if English footballers were called Bert, Wilf or Bob, and not Ashley, they wouldn't miss so many penalties.

Lallana called his Arthur.
 Carolyn 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Little Brew:
> (In reply to Denni) This is where scouting has a failing, as most names give me flashes to a scout, be he/she a good child or bad.

My husband rules out almost all boys' names as they reminded him of some kid he'd been to school with. Unfortunately we have two boys....

I think we managed 6 he didn't veto - Alastair, Benjamin, Oliver, Daniel, James, Mark - and got through 4 of them by the time they had middle names too.
cb294 14 Nov 2013
In reply to teflonpete:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
Please don't call him Peter, that's a rotten thing to do to a kid.

Why?

CB

Oliiver 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: John? Quite a rare name now for children tbh. Alternatively, if you're middle class choice Oliver
Oliiver 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver: **Choose
 Nic 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Carolyn:

> My husband rules out almost all boys' names as they reminded him of some kid he'd been to school with..

Ah yes, we had that problem too, although in my case it was work rather than school. Unfortunately I work in a male-dominated profession which has more than its fair share of utter w...kers, so virtually every boy's name was a "no way!"

ByEek 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Scomuir:

> Or Dougal?

I am really sorry, but whenever I hear Dougal or Dougey (sp?) I can only ever think of "I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue" and "You'll have had your tea?" with plenty of rolling Rs.
 hokkyokusei 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

My old boss wanted to name his first born Rothman. After his favourite cigarettes.
 Cardi 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: Apparently names like T-Jay and Genius are becoming popular nowadays
 iksander 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:
>
> de-Saint-Bissix-Croix.....
>
> commence with operation maximum hilarity!

Something bluff and distinctly Blighty to counterbalance all that Norman hypenation.

Sid? Buster? Ron? Stanley?

Kimono 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:
It's worth considering how easy his name is to pronounce for other nationalities.
Kieran is a nice name but it seems it's almost impossible for anyone but the Engish, Irish and Indian to pronounce!
French people struggle with it but sort of get there in the end but the Spanish just seem to throw their hands up in horror!
And as I have spent the last few years livin in first Francophone and now Hispanophone countries, you can imagine that it gets a bit wearing.

Good luck!
In reply to Denni: We named our son (now 4 months old) Arthur Dyfan. I like that name, hope he does!
 Alyson 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: We recently had a girl - fortunately, as we couldn't agree on a boy's name. I was planning to play the 'I just gave birth to him and it hurt like a motherf*cker' ultimate trump card and demand to call him Wilfred.
OP Denni 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Alyson:

What was the result in the end? Oh and congratulations on being a parent, isn't it just the greatest thing going!
 Clarence 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Grandparents names are always a good source as fashions tend to cycle round in that time. That is how I ended up Clarence Edgar...
Rigid Raider 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

I have a Nigerian customer whose name is Thank God. He looks like Shrek, painted brown and with his ears moved downwards, very very big indeed, so I think the name may have come about just after his mother delivered him.
 Alyson 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: In the end we had a girl and called her Ursula, and yes it hurt like a motherf*cker! I still think I'd like to push for Wilfred if we do have a boy in the future. It's a rare name where I like the shortenings too - Will, Wilf or Fred. The only objection my husband has is he knew a Will he didn't like.

You're right, being a parent is the greatest thing ever. I took her for her first injections today and when she cried my heart broke into bits. It's scary loving someone this much. Scary but wonderful.
 lost1977 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Alyson:

Wilfred is first choice if I ever have a son (grandfather's name)
 Scomuir 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Alyson:
Just wait until she starts to smile and laugh at things you do
 hokkyokusei 14 Nov 2013
In reply t
o Scomuir:

It's great when your baby laughs at you. Not so great when they are 23, just moved back in AMD you ask them for board
In reply to Denni:

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel
 peppermill 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:

Ragnar
Storm
Thor
Bjorn
Zion
Israel
 Scomuir 14 Nov 2013
In reply to hokkyokusei:
> In reply t
> o Scomuir:
>
> It's great when your baby laughs at you. Not so great when they are 23, just moved back in AMD you ask them for board

surely that's your turn to laugh at them?

Skol 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni:
I wouldn't call mine Obed.

Someone has in our local school.
 Tall Clare 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:
> (In reply to Denni) Angus is a great name. Had a grad sit with me for a few hours a week ago called Angus. Really stood out as a name and not easy to forget.
>

My brothers are Angus and Fergus. Both are dog's names - we even had a rescue dog for a while called Angus. My brother didn't see the funny side...
 Heike 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: Serious replies:

I liked Felix, Max(imilian), Lucas (which is now our boy's name - the only one we could agree upon), Finlay

Otherwise:
Other people have chosen Hector, Jayjay ( A -very nice- student I am teaching at the moment) or Glasgow. I think there are a lot of opportunities to the latter theme, why not Gorbals, Govan, Easterhouse or if you are from Inverness: Tore, Moy or Daviot If you are from Stirlingshire, I would recommend Raploch!
 rug 15 Nov 2013
What about creating a name ?

Tomothy would be my suggestion ...

Strangely nobody ever seems to agree with me on this one.
 Yanis Nayu 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: Granville
 lithos 15 Nov 2013

'Dozy' to go with his sister
In reply to Alyson: Wilfred was my Dads name and it was only the other day that I mused that there aren't many people chosing it so I was glad to hear that you considered it.
My Grandad was called Sharpe and I think that is a great name particularly as his sartorial style matched it.
 sleavesley 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Denni: Rohan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...