UKC

Lake district conditions this weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FreshSlate 14 Nov 2013
Never been to the lake district before, how are the conditions this time of year/onwards? What crags are best going to? Any advice welcome.
 Mark Eddy 14 Nov 2013
In reply to FreshSlate: Been chilly but dry in south lakes today. A sheltered crag in the sun would have been fine, anything in the wind definitely not fine.
Looks fairly dry for next couple of days. Wallowbarrow crag in the Duddon valley dries quick and has good selection of routes. Shepherds in Borrowdale also worth a look, as is Castle rock. New guidebook just out for Langdale and lots of options there too.
 pec 14 Nov 2013
In reply to A Mountain Journey:
> ..... as is Castle rock. ... >

Just don't climb Overhanging Bastion or anything else in that vicinity, its about to fall off.
http://www.frcc.co.uk/newsarticle.asp?id=5939
 Jon Stewart 14 Nov 2013
In reply to pec:
> (In reply to A Mountain Journey)
> [...]
>
> Just don't climb Overhanging Bastion or anything else in that vicinity, its about to fall off.
> http://www.frcc.co.uk/newsarticle.asp?id=5939

And the whole of the north crag (which is class) seeps like a bastard. South Crag might be OK?
 Mark Eddy 14 Nov 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart: Apologies. Yes I should have specified that South crag at Castle rock is a good bet at this time of year. The North crag will be really cold and probably seeping anyway, and as mentioned a large block is cause for concern.
OP FreshSlate 14 Nov 2013
Thanks for the info guys. I am sort of under the impression that it will be somewhat folly. A group from manchester are spending a weekend there. Think maybe the peak might have been a better bet but like I say, I know nothing about the lakes.
 Jon Stewart 14 Nov 2013
In reply to FreshSlate:

The Lakes is marvelous. You should be able to find a dry, sheltered crag as easily as you could in the Peak, and I think the scenery is much more beautiful. Plus the climbing is 'proper' - it has holds and gear!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...