UKC

What's the best GPS for £400'?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Oliiver 15 Nov 2013
I'm after a GPS and don't really want to spend over £400. I'd predominately use if for navigation in bad weather and at night (alongside a map). I've heard of SATMAP are they any good?
 Carolyn 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

A lot of the mountain rescue team use SATMAP, and they seem fairly happy.

One advantage over some others is they run off AA (or maybe AAA?) batteries , rather than needing a mains recharger, so can easily swap on the hill. There are ways round that (carrying a big battery and USB lead), but standard batteries make it easy.

From what I remember they have big buttons that are fairly easy to use with gloves on, but that's worth checking whatever you go for.
 andrewere 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

I would also recommend the Satmap. I've had the Active 10 for about 5 years and have had no problems with it despite a lot of hard use. I've nothing else to compare it to but I've found it accurate, durable and dependable in harsh environments. They are soon to bring out a new model (Active 12) for £400+ but I don't know if the price jump justifies the few upgrades, though it does offer a higher definition screen. They also have an offer at the moment for OS landranger/explorer 1:10k, 25k and 50K for the whole country at around £230. I believe the Active 10 is in the £300 range.

Andrew.
 EddInaBox 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

What's wrong with a compass, no chance of the batteries running out and a damn sight cheaper?

http://media.salon.com/2013/02/Compass_85861408.jpg
In reply to Oliiver: Just use your Iphone Olly. It does everything you need.
Tim Chappell 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

Perhaps, to begin with, you should invest in a moral compass?

ianstevens 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Oliiver: If you're going to be using a map/compass as well, surely all you need is something to show your location? The most basic Garmin is all you really need, and costs around £80. Or you can probably get an app, but that depends on your faith in your phone GPS.

The other beauty of the new Garmin's is they have access to GLONASS (Russian) satellites as well as the US system, meaning its pretty easy to pick up signal from 10+ satellites. Don't know if any phone does that.
Jim C 16 Nov 2013
In reply to shaun l:
> (In reply to Oliiver) Just use your Iphone Olly. It does everything you need.

Not something I would be comfortable to advise people to use , and, I believe , not something that MRT /police would recommend either:-

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2012/08/15/second-police-force-warns-again...

“Smartphone apps are a great innovation but, on their own, they are not reliable enough for navigation in the mountains.

“In addition to being suitably experienced and equipped, walkers should have, and know how to use, a map and compass or other suitable navigational device.”

Simon Steer, deputy leader of the Cairngorm Mountain Rescue Team said: “Last night alone, we were involved in two separate incidents, involving a total of 16 people, who had relied on smartphone apps to navigate on the high tops, were very poorly equipped for the conditions, and become lost in the Cairngorms.

Hypocrite
In reply to Jim C: That's not what I meant Jim but thank you for addong the info I missed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...