UKC

Entering plumbing trade

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hillseeker 15 Nov 2013
Are there any plumbers on here?!

I'm considering trying to train to become a plumber at the ripe age of 41. Unfortunately this means that the recognised apprenticeship route into the career is not a likelihood.

However, there are private courses that offer training up to City and Guilds NVQ level 2. I have also heard that you need to obtain a SkillCard, which was not mentioned by the private training course provider that I have contacted. Is this completely necessary to work in the business?

Many thanks for any information.
 Yanis Nayu 15 Nov 2013
In reply to toasted: Can you teach yourself and just do it?
OP Hillseeker 15 Nov 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

Don't think so these days. You need certification for insurance purposes.
 The New NickB 15 Nov 2013
In reply to toasted:

I am not in the trade, but be very careful of some of these courses, very expensive, promise the world and deliver little. Speak to your local authority, they should have someone who deals with skills.
OP Hillseeker 15 Nov 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

Yes, I am quite wary. It is an expensive course.
 thommi 15 Nov 2013
In reply to toasted: water regs course would be a good start. it depends if you want to do gas or oil, if so its a different kettle of fish. SkillCard (*CSCS) is only required on 'site' and not needed if your going to be in a domestic enironment. Also you will need specific tickets for things such as unvented water heaters. welcome to a world of knee pain.
 jimjimjim 16 Nov 2013
In reply to toasted: Personally, I think your time has passed mate. On jobs that we work on if someone has done a crap job we say 'he's obviously not a proper tradesmen, I bet he's just been on a course'.
 Sharp 16 Nov 2013
In reply to toasted: I briefly looked at doing a trade as a career, at 25 I'm too old for apprenticeships as well and I make more money working in a shop so I ditched the idea. How anyone survives on apprenticeship wages I have no idea anyway, unless you're fortunate enoght to be able to live and eat for free with relatives it's not an option for most people.

Despite all that naysaying it is obviously possible if you really want it, but the likelihood is you'll have to save up a) for the course b) a stretch of unemployment and c) a period of time working min wage (or less) as a plumbers mate/lackey to gain experience. Getting a foot in the door for the latter will be the hardest thing if you don't have any contacts in the trade. Getting the qualifications alone will be unlikely to get you a job as a plumber.
 Neil Williams 16 Nov 2013
In reply to Sharp:

" unless you're fortunate enoght to be able to live and eat for free with relatives "

That's the main idea of apprenticeships, TBH - a means of entering a career while still young and living with your parents, as you would if you instead went to 6th form or similar.

Neil
 browndog33 16 Nov 2013
In reply to toasted: I had an 28 year guy working for me yesterday as a trial(I'm a joinery contractor), he was fully qualified and had been doing very minor bits and pieces of joinery for the last three years, I paid him £80 before tax, but would not hire him again for anything more than minimum wage (and only as and when req as sub contractor), he really was absolutely useless (although he was a nice lad and quite bright). He told me that the last three years had been very demoralising for him and that he thought he'd get 'into the trade' much easier than this, especially considering he had a NVQ 3 in carpentry. I personally think the only way he'll learn properly is by working as a labourer/ goffer for a joiner or similar on min wage.
Mark.
 PaulTanton 16 Nov 2013
Hi I'm a Sparky. I got back into the trade when I was 44. Don't listen to what people say about not being apprenticeship trained. All you do as an Apprentice is sweep up and go to the wholesalers, buttie shop. I've seen appallingly low quality work done by supposed proper apprentice trained people. It’s all about the pride you put into a job.

Yes it is tough getting all the right qualifications these days. Maybe I was lucky and made the change from IT before Part P came into force. I found it quite easy to get onto a scheme.
The main question I'd ask is why do you want to do it? Is this just a change of career cos your bored? That's kind of what it was for me and in some ways I regret it. Problem is now I'm too far out of IT to get back in. I like the flexibility of taking time off when you want to, assuming you can afford it. But i's tough to get enough work in to pay all the regular bills.
Also, beware of these get rich quick schemes. Yes the training ones say you can earn £60K a year, but you have to get the work in to earn that. Marketing is complete rat's nest. So many rip-off organizations that say they can get you work
Hope what ever you decide it works out. Good luck

PS Please never use that speed fit garden hose pipe work. I've been called out several times, at night, to jobs with water pouring out of down lights.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...