UKC

Harrison's Rocks Woodland Management Plan - phase 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Graham Ad 15 Nov 2013
The second phase of the Harrison’s Rocks Woodland Management Plan will take place at the end of November.

The cutting is due to take place in the last week of November and we plan to clear the arisings over the weekend of 30th November and 1st December.

Consequently, we are now calling for volunteer help to clear the arisings and carry out any further revetment and brashing work required.

The work will mainly consist of moving the felled and sectioned trees to where they’re needed or creating habitat or brash piles. Any surplus or unusable material will be burnt.

Please come out and help with the work. A simple reply email to me letting me know whether Saturday or Sunday will greatly help in the planning of resources (via my ukclimbing profile is good...).

We will start work at 09:30 on both the Saturday and Sunday and work until dusk. Meet up in the car park or later on the crag. We’ll be working on the area immediately below the Isolated Buttress.

Please bring a packed lunch and drink. Boots and old clothing are advised – something water resistant but don’t wear your new Arcteryx jacket

Pruners and bowsaws are probably the most useful tools for dealing with the remains of the felled trees. For the revetment work, buckets, spades/shovels/wheelbarrows/buckets are also useful.

It'll probably be muddy on the lower path so come prepared! Heavy gardening gloves are good for protecting your hands.

Details will be put on the SVG website along with any changes to the schedule. www.sandstonevolunteers.org.uk I’ll also try to put up numbers of volunteers for each day so that you can decide when help is needed most.

Please pass this on to others who are not on the SVG mailing list and also to local clubs, walls etc.

Thanks,
Graham.
OP Graham Ad 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Graham Ad:

Update - Monday 17th Nov...
So far I have 9 names for Saturday 30th November and 3 for Sunday 1st Dec.
Most of the names on the list have been out many times before.

I really had hoped that given the strength of feeling about the toilet block that there might have been more willing to help out keep the crag itself in condition...

Please come out and help us... a simple email back to me (via my profile) will help us in the planning of resources.

Cheers,
Graham.
 Puppythedog 18 Nov 2013
In reply to Graham Ad: I would love to help but need more than a couple of weeks of notice for such things. I also would happily volunteer in other ways. I'm a few hours away (I think) in Colchester and have not been down yet but look forward to it in better weather.
 Bob Moulton 19 Nov 2013
In reply to puppythedog: Good point. In fact the date was announced at the Sandstone Open Meeting on 6th Oct. However, at the same meeting the point was also made that people like you do need advance warning of the dates, and it was agreed that we would try to get out such information well in advance. We hope to get out dates for the workdays/weekends for the new year High and Bulls Hollow and maybe more at Harrison's)soon and not just via the minutes of meetings. Hope to see you at one of the workdays in the new year - though we can't promise good weather! Bob
 Puppythedog 19 Nov 2013
In reply to Bob Moulton:

I'd love to participate. I'm rather into collectivism and will happily particpate. Can my name be added to a list to be emailed if I e-mail you?
 Bob Moulton 19 Nov 2013
In reply to puppythedog: In reply to puppythedog: Yes, that'd be great - to either me or Graham Ad. In fact, the collective spirit can make even bad weather on such days quite fun! Bob
 Daimon - Rockfax Global Crag Moderator 27 Nov 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

Hi
You should check this website as its up to date with all relevant information to all things Southern and Sandstone.
http://www.southernsandstoneclimbs.co.uk/
Of Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/SouthernSandstoneClimbs
Cheers!
 Bob Moulton 30 Nov 2013
In reply to Graham Ad:

Many thanks to all those who came out today, Saturday, well over double the number as posted by Graham Ad on 18th Nov. We got a lot done!

Cheers,
Bob
 johncook 30 Nov 2013
In reply to Graham Ad:

Maybe the ones with the 'strength of feeling on the toilet block' are the same one who expect the BMC to do everything for the area with the biggest membership, but never go to meetings.
Can someone in the know, maybe BMC, give a list of areas, membership numbers and meeting attendances for the last few years!
Would make interesting reading.
OP Graham Ad 03 Dec 2013
In reply to Graham Ad:

Thank you to all SVG helpers for the magnificent effort on Saturday and Sunday last.

It is a credit to the climbers of the south east that so many are willing to come out and put in the effort required to keep the woodland management plan on track. Once again, Harrison's looks quite different but this work really has made a difference to the tree cover and will help dry the crag out for the summer.

We will shortly give dates for work at Bull's Hollow to finish the work done in early November by Croydon Climbing Club and also a day of work at High Rocks.

Cheers,
Graham.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...